“I had a wonderful time and I want to go back.”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Khao Thong
Gillhams Fishing Resorts
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Khao Thong
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“I had a wonderful time and I want to go back.”
Reviewed February 25, 2012

I fished for only 2 days but I caught 16 fish over 25lb and a 'tiddler' of only about 5lb! 3 of those fish were over 50lb. I also spent nearly 2 hours playing and losing 2 Giant Mekong Catfish estimated at between 150lb and 200lb which left me seriously exhausted. The lake is in beautiful surroundings, the small bar and restaurant is friendly with good food, and nothing is too much trouble for the staff and fishing guides . However there would have to be an option of a little more luxurious accommodation for Ruth to agree to accompany me when I return.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank geoffruth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Portsmouth
Reviewed February 19, 2012

We went to Gillhams for a day fishing and had such a good time. If we knew how nice it was we would have stayed longer. Even for the ones that don't do fishing (like me) it's a gorgeous place to stay - the pool is amazing with the best views ever. We had lunch there, that was really nice too. But the best of all - my partner cought 2 huge fishes (a catfish and something else - a really pretty one), missed a few even bigger ones and all that was great fun to watch. All the guides were really nice and professional, looking after our safety (don't want to be slapped by arapaima). A word of advice though - take a hat and buckets of sun screen lotion, because there isn't much shade around the fishing lake.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Desimil
Essex
Reviewed February 19, 2012

After reading all the reviews on trip advisor I knew I had to book this for my husband. We were picked up from our hotel in Ao Nang & driven a short 20 mins to Gillhams. As soon as we arrived we were blown away by the beautiful surroundings. Sean took my husband to his swim & Becky took me to our bungalow which would be home for 2 nights. The bungalow was exceptionally clean & had everything you needed including a large balcony overlooking the lake. In the first 20 minutes of fishing my husband caught a 45lb Red tail catfish which broke his record at home of a 28lb carp! From then on he caught 2 Arapaima's, a Wallago Attu, an Aligator Gar & a Rohu & a Mrigal carp. Not bad for 2 days fishing! He also hooked a Stingray but this was the one that got away!

You are supplied a cool box to keep all your water, beers etc in. We even had our breakfast delivered to the swim! The staff were amazing & all so helpful. Each time you catch a fish you blow your whistle & one of the guides come running to help!

So to sum up, if you are a non-fisher this still is an amazing place to stay & I didn't get bored! There are sunbeds around the infinity pool to laze around in when it gets too hot, and Ao Nang is a short drive away if you fancy a night out or a change of scenery, although it really is hard to tear yourself away!

Overall this is an amazing place to stay & we'd like to say a big thank you to everyone at Gillhams for making our stay so memorable! We have already booked up again for the end of the year.

If you're thinking of going, book it, you won't regret it!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Em7338
Townsville
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We visited Gillhams for just a day trip and being the fishing enthusiast I was so excited! It was lovely to chat to the English guides and after setting us up we were away! My wife and I fished and caught 3 Mekong Catfish and a Chinese Seerfish (which are one of the rarest fish in the world). We caught 85lb, 100lb and 150lb Mekongs which we were stoked with! It's a great setting, and you have all the food and drink at hand for an extra cost! There are not too many anglers at one time which means you are not fishing close to anyone else, perfect!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Miles T
liverpool
Reviewed January 22, 2012

great bungalows ,fantastic gardens ,great food ,in a setting you would not believe.on top of that the worlds top lake for exotic and large fish.am returning again this year.my wife is a non angler and she loves the place as well,tranquility.

Room Tip: no bad bungalows
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LiverpoolFisherman
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 29, 2011

If you love fishing, this is the place for you. We have visited four times in under two years. Our first experience was as a day ticket, although upon arrival this was promptly changed to three days and nights. Although I didn't fish then, I can honestly say how amazing it was. The surrounding are so beautiful and a brilliant way to unwind. I've never felt so relaxed. For my partner the fishing experience was beyond anything he could ever of imaged. Fish that are truly world records. On that note I would add the care of the fish is also first class, these creatures are truly nurtured by the experienced fishing guides, and as a lover of nature, this was brilliant to see. On top of that you have superb bungalows that offer excellent facilities for your time here. Even down to PG tips teabags in your bungalow, which are all set on the lake. The view first thing in the morning, when you pull back your curtains will blow you away. On top of all this you have a restaurant that offers first class Thai and English food that in our experience is better that most places we have eaten in Thailand. Lastly, the staff, they work very hard to make your holiday one that you will remember for ever, nothing is too much trouble, their friendly approach and helpfulness is world class. You will find most customers are returnees like us, as it is simply the best.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank Jn63
Findochty, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I've been to Gillhams Fishing Resort 3 times in the last year and it just gets better and better every time! The staff are all superb and will go out of their way to help you with anything, the guides are all extremly knowledgable about the water and the best techniques to use. If you have a particular target species you want to go after just tell them and they will advise you on the best way to go about catching one. Of course after that it's up to you to put in the effort. If I had one complaint, it would be that the food is too good and it sets a very high standard for other restaraunts to meet if you choose to go elsewhere after the fishing.
I can't wait to get back over next year to try for the 37 species I have yet to catch, oh and have a go of the new fly and lure lake which Staurt has built, I reckon that it's very quickly going to become a top destination for fly anglers much the same as the bait fishing lake has became the destination for giant fish!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
Anyavee Tubkaek Beach Resort
#9 of 12 in Nong Thale
The Tubkaak Krabi Boutique Resort

Been to Gillhams Fishing Resorts? Share your experiences!