“Sheer elegance”

Ranked #1 of 1 Burlington B&B and Inns
bnpr
“Sheer elegance”
Reviewed July 9, 2008

What a phenomenal escape. No detail was left unturned - from the historical books in the library to the fabulous air jet tub in the Rouse Retreat. The hosts were out of town, but the innkeeper in their place was very attentive to our needs.

We were driving through on our way back to Columbus and had a fabulous evening here. We would highly recommend a stay here for a day or for a romantic weekend!

• Liked — The bathtub and the breakfast
  • Disliked — Not a thing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bnpr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
OK
Reviewed May 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed in the William Rouse Retreat and our friends in the William Rouse Suite. These rooms make up the salvaged and remodeled 1850's cabin located behind the main house. We had the cabin to ourselves and could share the common area / living room in the basement. This was the perfect set-up to enjoy with our friends. The rooms are wonderful, very clean, romantic, quiet, comfortable and more. You can't even hear the air conditioner but you can feel it's coolness as you go to sleep. We had an amazing stay, and even commented how the B&B alone would be a great vacation, and almost wished we didn't have other vacation plans during our days there. The innkeeper was a very friendly and helpful. Be sure to arise in time for her fabulous breakfasts. We hope to someday visit this place again.

• Liked — Beauty, Cleanliness, Quiet, Comfortable
  • Disliked — That we couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SnrFan
South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed December 28, 2007

We stayed at the Burlington's Willis Graves B & B for a short getaway before Christmas. We have stayed at many B & B's in the past and this B & B ranks among some of the best we have stayed at. The suite we stayed at in the cabin was beautiful with a roomy deluxe bathroom, comfortable bed, TV, DVD, and a lower level room with another TV and refrigerator. Special touches include nightly cookies in your room, dvd library, individual tables for breakfast, and quality linens. Breakfast was wonderful! Not only was the food great, but we were given several choices to select from. Breakfast time was very flexible which allowed a relaxing way to start the morning. This bed and breakfast is a great place to stay while in the Cincinnati area!

• Liked — Quiet location, yet close to Cincinnati.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank lighthouselady001
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed July 22, 2007

I was looking for someplace special to celebrate my husband's birthday and boy did I find it! This is the most wonderful place to stay. Nancy and Margaret do a superior job of hosting and providing guests with a feeling of being pampered. Our room, The Graves Suite, was just perfect. The canopy bed was made up with beautiful linens, pillows and quilts. On top of that we had freshly baked cookies and bottled water waiting for us upon our arrival. What a treat! And our bathroom, which included a steam shower and double whirlpool tub was tastefuly appointed and included a three way mirror and hairdryer. They don't miss a single detail. And breakfast is served during a very generous time frame. We were able to sleep a little bit and still enjoy the most amazing breakfast. We enjoyed the best fruit, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries and grapes, all covered with a wonderful homemade granola. After that we were offered a variety of dishes. My husband enjoyed a breakfast pie with salsa that Nancy had just picked up and thought he might enjoy. I had the cr`eme brulee stuffed french toast that was simply out of this world. After our "can't eat another bite" meal we were lucky enough to get a tour of the Cabin. Bob was kind enough to give us the history of the place ,as we took it all in. It's an amazing story. All in all, the hospitality, generosity of spirit and fellowship was more than I had hoped for in choosing this B&B. I would recommend it to anyone looking to make some wonderful memories. We can't wait to go back!

• Liked — The attention to details
  • Disliked — That we could only stay one night!
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sunshine1969
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 13, 2007

Having recently completed our 6th visit to Willis Graves, I wanted to report that this place is still as perfect as it was our first time. It is our favorite place to stay. In fact, if anything it just keeps getting better. The gardens are in full bloom and we often relax with laptops (the joys of wireless Internet), amid the sounds of birds and sweet scent of flowers on the back porch. If you are looking for a summer getaway, this is as good as it gets.

We continue to love Thomas' Room; there is a new flat screen tv and dvd in the room. We have also stayed in the Graves' Suite since our first review. It has a luxurious bathroom (large 2-person air jet tub and a steam shower), a large separate living room with tv, and a bedroom. Like the other rooms, it is beautifully decorated with antiques and has fine linens and triple sheeting on the queen size bed. This room would be great for families who want extra space to congregate or relax during a longer stay, as the living room is very spacious.

Service continues to be top notch. You can't help but love Nancy and Margaret, they are both gifted in hospitality and are such warm hosts. During our last stay we also had the pleasure of meeting Sarah (Nancy was on vacation). Sarah is wonderful; she juggled multiple breakfast tables seamlessly and made us feel just as welcome and at home. (The Crème Brulee French Toast was fantastic.)

Our visits are always while traveling for business; my only regret is that we haven’t been able to stay longer!

Our first review:

Burlington’s Willis Graves Bed and Breakfast Inn is perfection; there is just no other way to say it. Other innkeepers should take notes from Nancy and her team…

Reservations/Website:
Before I book a bed and breakfast, I always check two popular travel sites for previous guest reviews or posts and then I visit the inn’s website. If they do not include photographs of the rooms and bathrooms, I am generally a bit leery to stay there. My policy is that the more information I can “see” to know what the inn will be like, the better. Burlington’s Willis Graves Bed and Breakfast has one of the best websites I have visited. They cover all the essentials: room types and descriptions, information about the area, amenities, and breakfast. It is organized, easy to navigate, and displays crisp, clear photographs. It is a breeze to check availability and make your reservation online. If only all bed and breakfasts advertised this well.

Check-in/Arrival:
On both visits, Nancy greeted me at the door when I arrived. She showed me around the house, noting where breakfast would be served and where to find beverages and movies should we need them during our stay. She also showed me a covered back porch where guests can relax. It is furnished with outdoor furniture and would have been a great place to read a book if the weather had been better. When we went up to our room, I received excellent instruction on the air-jet tub and media equipment.

Rooms:
The first time we visited, we stayed in Thomas’ Room and on our second visit Nancy gave us a complimentary upgrade to the William Rouse Retreat on the second floor of the log cabin. Like the rest of the main house, both rooms are beautifully decorated with antiques. The pictures on the website accurately depict the beauty and detail of both guest rooms; if anything the rooms exceeded our expectations after viewing the pictures online. You will arrive to warm chocolate chip cookies and bottled water in your room. The bedding in both rooms is top notch and includes fine linens, triple sheeting over a light down-type comforter, and lovely quilts. We certainly felt pampered in these comfortable and luxurious beds.

Thomas’ Room is definitely smaller than the William Rouse Retreat. If you are only staying for one night or need to stick to a specific budget, I would not hesitate in booking Thomas’ Room. We plan to stay there again during future business trips. If you are visiting for more than one night, celebrating a special occasion, or plan to spend considerable time in your room, I would definitely recommend the William Rouse Retreat or one of the other suites instead. There is a microwave and small refrigerator in the William Rouse Retreat. Both rooms have desks and wireless Internet for those who need workspace. Since we both tend to work on the road, we liked the couch in the William Rouse Retreat as it provided plenty of additional space for my husband to spread out with some of his paperwork while I worked across the room.

Bathrooms:
Can I have Nancy design my bathrooms someday? Seriously, both bathrooms are fantastic. The bathroom in Thomas’ Room includes a one person air-jet tub, a beautiful Kohler pedestal sink with large sides for toiletries, and plush towels and robes. For the ultimate in bathroom luxury, head on over to the William Rouse Retreat. This bathroom is gorgeous! It includes a huge two person air-jet tub, steam shower (with great water pressure), a beautiful sink with plenty of room for toiletries (or you can store them inside the large mirror over the sink), and plush towels and robes. Both rooms include travel sized toiletries and a hairdryer, in case you forget something you might need.

Housekeeping:
Unbelievable! I wish all establishments were this clean. The attention to detail shows when it comes to housekeeping. The rooms and common areas are spotless. Nancy and her team personally iron all of the linens that go on the beds. Saran wrap covers the glasses in each room, so you know it has not been used and has not collected any dust in between guests.

Location:
Depending on your needs, location may be the only “downside” to this property. Burlington is a bit outside of Cincinnati, so you may have a longer drive to get to attractions or restaurants if you need to be in the city. Both times we have found places to eat within 10-15 minutes (there are other options closer). That said, I would stay here in a second over any hotel accommodations in Cincinnati and just commute into town. It’s that special.

Service:
One of the reasons this place is so special is because of the gracious hospitality shown by the hosts. Nancy is warm and friendly, definitely adding to the charm of this place. Ask her about the renovation work they have done on the property if you enjoy that type of thing. I thoroughly enjoyed hearing about their experiences and looking at the pictures that chronicled their journey (the albums are located in the dining room). I had the pleasure of meeting Margaret and Bob on my first visit as well. They are all kind and courteous hosts. You will not want for anything during your stay. They have really thought of everything for you, so that when you get there you can focus on enjoying your visit.

Breakfast:
Breakfast is an experience. The tables are exquisitely set with white tablecloths, cloth napkins, and fine china. You have your choice of assorted juices, along with coffee and tea. Nancy provides a long list of options for your meal; you will have a difficult time deciding what to eat! All breakfasts begin with fresh fruit. Both times we have had a delightful medley of fresh berries. My husband has ordered the Stuffed French Toast on both occasions and he gave it rave reviews. The first time I had the breakfast pie, which was extraordinary. I was able to print the recipe from their website but I have not attempted it on my own yet. The second visit I tried the waffles with a side of sausage/potato casserole, both were terrific. You will definitely experience a gourmet breakfast at this establishment, and it all includes beautiful plate presentation. Plan to skip lunch, you will not be hungry.

Overall:
In our experience, the type of attention to detail we encounter here is beyond compare. They have created such a comfortable environment. You will not want to leave!

• Liked — Everything - luxurious accommodations, exceptional service, scrumptious breakfasts
  • Disliked — Nothing - only regret is that we haven't been able to stay longer
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Loveland, Colorado
Reviewed July 12, 2007

My husband and I needed a little retreat last year and chose this wonderful Northern Kentucky B & B. We stayed in Thomas' room and were so comfortable. From the moment we arrived, Nancy was in tune to our needs. She gaves us maps of the area, tips on places to go to dinner, and offered us everything we needed to relax. We stayed for two nights and I remember her being so glad we would be there for more than one night because it would give us more time to unwind. They have a large dvd selection to choose from to take back to your room and watch. Water, soda and tea are available (no extra charge) all the time and the fresh cookies each day were a really nice touch. Each room is separate enough from the others and so quiet! Breakfast was amazing! We wanted to try everything she offered and Nancy was happy to let us take a little of everything. The stuffed french toast was so good! The jacuzzi tub was fantastic (I even took a bath at 11:30 pm when I was having trouble getting to sleep). Our last day there, we asked if we could see the rooms in the cabin and since they were empty at the moment, Nancy was happy to give a tour. I only wish we weren't six hours away, otherwise we would visit here every three months!

• Liked — Everything!
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Denglerfamilyfour
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed May 7, 2007

From start to finish, our three-night stay at the Willis Graves Bed & Breakfast Inn was superb. The owners and staff were warm and friendly, the breakfasts were scrumptious, our room in the 1850's William Rouse Log Cabin was very comfortable and wonderfully decorated. "Attention to detail" is a phrase that very aptly describes the inn itself, and the service provided. For example, never in all our years of travel have we daily received a plate of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies when our room was made up. In a phone conversation with innkeeper, Nancy Swartzel, that took place a few days before our arrival, she told me, "We'll take real good care of you." Everyone associated with the inn kept this promise beautifully!

• Liked — Friendly, pampered service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WisconsinMadison
Also consider these accommodations in or near Burlington
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Lawrenceburg
Homewood Suites Cincinnati Airport South-Florence
Best Western Inn Florence
Best Western Inn Florence
#3 of 28 in Florence
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Florence/Cincinnati Airport
Hyatt Place Cincinnati Airport/Florence
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Cincinnati Airport

Been to Burlington's Willis Graves Bed and Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!