“My favorite restaurant”

The Tousey House Tavern
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 5, 2009

My husband, daughter and I eat out often. My daughter is a chef at a downtown Cincinnati restaurant and very critical of any meal. The one place we go where we always get a fabulous meal and my daughter always raves about the food, atmosphere and service is the Tousey House. In Union, it is a bit off of the beaten path, but worth every mile.

Every time I take anyone here it quickly becomes their new favorite restaurant. We go out to eat usually twice - three times a week. The Tousey House is our weekly favorite. Thursday night is our choice as they have a fried cod dinner that is out of this world. However, our hands down favorite are the fried green tomatoes. They are to die for. The atmosphere is charming, reminding us of our trips to historical Williamsburg, VA. Try it, you will love it.

My only complaint is that they are not open for lunch. However, that makes going to dinner just that much special.

Reviewed July 3, 2009

My family and I ate here and found the staff to be very pleasant and attentive. The atmosphere and decor was all that I had hoped it would be in an historic tavern . My only disappointment was with the prime rib sandwich that I ordered. The prime rib was not sliced but rather chipped so that the fat was mixed in and could not be trimmed away. What was described as au jus was not a traditional au jus; rather it was a thick gravy that was not a good compliment. The mashed potatoes were rather standard fare and not particularly notable. On a more positive note, another family member ordered the club sandwich and was pleased. I wouldn't avoid this establishment; however I would avoid the prime rib sandwich.

Reviewed April 17, 2009

Great homecooked dinners in a beautiful historice building!

Reviewed February 22, 2009

We ate here on 2/21/09. We had a birthday party of 11 people. Instead of putting 3 small tables together, we were put at 1 large round and 1 small table, so we all weren't together to celebrate. We had reservations at 5 p.m. They took our drink orders at 5:30 and our food order at 5:45. We weren't served until 7 p.m. The room was very very cold and we had them turn up the heat. The ambience of the restaurant is very nice, but the lighting is poor. We had 1 small candle on the table and a chandelier overhead with very small bulbs in it. I had a glass of Beringer white zin at $5.50 a glass but only 4 oz. We had a chicken barbecue sandwich and the club sandwich. But they were pricey at $7.95 and $8.95. The food was good, but not spectacular. The other menu items such as steak, chicken and pasta were very pricey. The highest item on the menu I remember was over $25. We wouldn't be going back unless we had money to blow.

1  Thank KyPat73
Reviewed February 10, 2009

Can I just say that my Husband and I LOVE the Tousey House Tavern. We have been going on a bi-weekly (at least) basis since they opened, and it is where we bring out of town guests. Everyone we have brought to The Tousey House Tavern has absolutely raved about the ambiance, the food, and as for servers, well, Theresa is just the BEST! She prides herself on offering exclellent, attentive service and she is the one we ask for over and over again. If Theresa isn't available, Tamara is also just wonderful! We LOVE the Tousey house and want to thank Eric and all of the Staff for the great work they do - we go there so often we are in their commercial! Try the Tousey House Tavern, you won't be sorry! Everytime we visit there is something new to try, new appetizers, side dishes, special dishes and desert! It is never the same! They offer different sauces with their steaks which are to DIE FOR - so each time you can mix it up and try something new. We highly recommend this restaurant, for an every day meal, a special occasion or just to spoil yourself - try it soon!

1  Thank dybarber