“Very Nice Dinner in a Quaint and Historic Location”

The Tousey House Tavern
Ranked #1 of 27 Restaurants in Burlington
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Independence, Kentucky
“Very Nice Dinner in a Quaint and Historic Location”
Reviewed May 4, 2013

My wife and I went here for our 17th anniversary. Overall very good food and service that I would recommend for a nicer dinner out.

We were promptly seated with our reservation on a Saturday night. We ordered the Beer Cheese apetizer, just ok for me but my wife liked it more. They also add fresh fruit with the cheese and pretzel bread which was a nice touch.

I ordered the Ribeye and my wife ordered the Filet. They had a nice selection of specials also centered around the KY Derby which was the day we visited. The steaks come generously apportioned with two sides. I got the Hot Slaw (excellent) and my wife a house salad with home made Maytag Beu Cheese dressing (good salad, great dressing).

I ordered my Ribeye with Black and Bleu topping as did my wife with her Filet. I ended up removing most of the Bleu cheese since it was failry dominating and the steak was good enough to stand on its own, flavor wise. I got Cauliflower Au-Gratin and my wife got Sauted mushrooms as our other sides, both excellent! Both steaks were excellent, I was surprised that they had steaks this good in a restaurant that is not a steak house per se.

The bonus was that they have a house policy to give free desserts for Anniversary celabrators! Woo-hoo. I got Bread Pudding. Honestly this would have been sent back if it was not free, just not very good. My wife got Derby Pie which was basically pecan pie with dark chocolate and whipped cream, excellent.

Great service overall, no empty drinks, not overbearing, very nice young lady who told us about the house and was nicely converstaional.
I recommend Tousey House, we will go back!

• Visited May 2013

Dayton, Ohio
“A Gem In The Country”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

My wife's brother from Columbus, Ohio, recommended this restaurant and I'm glad we made the drive from Dayton, Ohio, to eat here. My wife and I split two wonderful sandwiches; she had a Chicken Cordon Bleu and I had a ribeye steak sandwich. Both sandwiches came with cabbage slaw and tater babies. We had iced tea but alcohol is served as well. The wait service was friendly and efficient. We wanted outside seating so we were seated in the open back porch; nobody else was out there and there wasn't anything to much look at. The next time we'll sit in the main dining room or the front outside dining area. We'll definitely come back here.

• Visited May 2013
cmathis
“the best service and steak”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We found this place on accident while on a weekend get away. The atmosphere is amazing, the wait staff is wonderful, and the food is phenomenal! This was in the top two of the best steaks I have ever had, always cooked perfectly and melts in your mouth. The sides are delicious as well and I usually try whatever the waitress/waiter recommends when we're there. They have a large wine selection and are more than capable of assisting your decision. We drive 2 hours from our house at least twice a year just to eat here. Its worth the drive.

• Visited January 2013
Kentucky
“Excellent time, food was good”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

In-laws were in town from Indy. We went to Tousey to celebrate father-in-law's b-day. Mother-in-law wanted to support a local business and did not want to go to the usual upscale chain restaurant. It seemed my whole party enjoyed the atmosphere and the food. I sampled the fried chicken that my wife ordered and it was very good. Here are specifics on my meal. My salad was average at best. It had a lot of ice berg lettuce and my dressing (blue cheese) was very watery. I usually order a filet mignon when ordering steak but I ordered the rib eye steak blackened with blue cheese. Not sure I tasted the blackened part and the blue cheese was sparse. Maybe this is the norm for a rib eye but it was pretty fatty. I guess I should have stuck to the filet. I guess I expected more for the price.

• Visited April 2013
Florence, Kentucky
“Colonial Style Dining”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

The Tousey House is the restaurant that I visit for special occasions. My wife and I eat there on many birthdays and anniversaries. The restaurant is in a house built in 1822 in Burlington, a small town in northern Kentucky. It serves great food in a colonial setting with linen tablecloths and candlelight. As another reviewer has said it is not pretentious, but is classy, romantic, cozy, and comfortable. Some of my favorites are the fried green tomato appetizer, the hot slaw, and the fried chicken and hot brown entrees. On my last visit my wife had a rib eye steak that was delicious, and big enough that the left overs were enough for another meal the next night. We also shared the creme brûlée desert. Even though any room in the house is enjoyable, I often request the second floor mural room.

• Visited February 2013