“Home cookin'”

Laura's Hilltop Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Description: Kentucky country food for locals. Two miles out of town at "the top of the hill" serving great burgers (huge ones) and claiming "the area's best cat fish. We were looking for authentic locale food and a ranger at Mammoth Cave N P (about 10 miles away) suggested we might like it. We loved it. Clean and quick. Jammed with locals. We had the "all you can eat" deep fried cat fish with coleslaw, fries, hush puppies, and wished we'd had time and space for the home made pie. A unique and delightful experience.
Reviewed May 19, 2014

If you want good, country home cookin', Laura's Hilltop Restaurant is the place to satisfy that desire. We had the buffet and was not disappointed. Everything was well prepared, hot and delicious. The restaurant was clean and the service was great. I plan to try the catfish next time I'm in town.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stopped for lunch after leaving the nearby Mammoth Cave NP and seeing numerous cars in the restaurant parking lot. My wife had the fried catfish sandwich with a side of hushpuppies, and thoroughly enjoyed her meal. Unfortunately the kitchen didn't realize that they were out of my pulled pork until after my wife's meal was ready to be served. They "rushed" the Texas burger and fries I then ordered in place of the pork, but I ended up watching my wife eat alone for 10 minutes. My burger was flavorful, but a bit dry. Our server complained that she was the only one on duty and was worn out by our 1PM lunch. I had a considerable wait to pay at the cashier as our server was handling that duty too.

Note that the restaurant had a large all-you-can-eat buffet which appeared popular with the locals, but we didn't want that much food or cost.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Laura's Hilltop restaurant serves a great catfish dinner and very reasonably priced. If you are in the Brownsville area or Nolin Lake area, you don't want to miss out on her specialty. They also have a good breakfast.