“Very clean but outdated and musty smell”

Baymont Inn & Suites Bowling Green
Ranked #12 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Crete, Illinois, United States
“Very clean but outdated and musty smell”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We were traveling back from Florida to Indiana and stopped in Bowling Green KY for our stop over. We were looking for a hotel with a pool for our son to burn off some energy. This hotel is very clean, its just a bit outdated. But for the price, we had a good visit. The only downfall was that our room smelled musty when we entered it but after a few minutes we didn't notice it anymore. They bed was comfortable and the hotel is extremely clean. They have a indoor pool that's very small but clean, but it was really cold. The front desk receptionist woman was very friendly and came and turned on the hot tub in the pool area for us.

FYI: There is handicapped accessible equipment by the pool and hot tub which I thought was great! Looked new. We didn't have anyone with accessible needs but as a nurse I thought that it was great that the hotel had that equipment there.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so you will have to carry your luggage up stairs to get to the 2nd floor rooms...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jennifer M
QualityInnBGKY, Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Bowling Green, responded to this review, January 2, 2015
Thank you for the amazing review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Gainesville, Georgia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed here one night during my trip thru KY for work. They have a small gravel area on the side of the motel that you can park a tractor trailer. This is an older motel style, and has the two door (interior and exterior exits) setup. The guy at check in was nice and helpful. I found my room (111), to be definitely dated, but spacious and pretty clean. Comfortable bed and great shower pressure ( isn't that all that really matters?). Breakfast was very basic, but they did have hot biscuits and sausages that were pretty good. For the price, not bad for a one night stay. The one thing that stood out for me is that when i checked out, the lady on duty actually said that they appreciated me staying with them. i would stay again.

Room Tip: There is a Ryan's restaurant across the street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Pensacola, Florida, USA
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family and i checked in late so it was to late to cancel the room. The bathroom sinks had hair,The carpet smells.I wanted coffee but the coffee pot was so full of dust and it looks like it never been used. The front desk did make fresh coffee after i told him about the coffee pot. Then it gets better, went to the breakfast room . The waffle mix was just sitting in a clear cup instead of in the machine that other hotels has them in, "FLIES" was landing in them. Disgusting! I finally told the front desk (Sue) She just covered it with a tray. She poured some orange juice in the pitcher. Ok, Thinking it's fresh. Wrong it was warm as a room temperature. Never coming back to this place. I rather sleep at the rest area. I should get my money back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Vacation389
LaFamiliaHospitality, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Bowling Green, responded to this review, May 6, 2017
Dear Vacation389,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that overall your experience was positive. I am disappointed to hear that our room service and housekeeping staff didn't meet your expectations. This critical feedback will be used in training our staff. Thank you and look forward to seeing you soon.

Regards,

Tejash Vaidya
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Stayed here for one night before meeting a group for an extended trip. We chose this motel because it was cheaper than where the group was staying and only one mile away. The room was very clean, the bed was very comfortable with good pillows and comforter. We turned on the air as soon as we went in the room although it was not hot. We were hoping to air it out. There was an odor to the whole place, halls. lobby and room. It was not a smoking odor, more like musty. I think to save money, they don't run the air high enough in the humid weather. We got our rate by booking early on the web site. Our friends could not get the same rate. They checked again just before leaving home and it was $10 more than the place the group stayed, which was very nice and did not smell! This motel was not full. Perhaps with a more competitive rate they would fill the rooms and be able to afford to turn the A/C up so the place wouldn't smell bad. We would not stay here again because of the odor, it overrides the cleanliness of the room.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Chesapeake, VA
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Stayed one night traveling home. The desk clerk was very courteous and helpful. The room was clean as was the bathroom. the bed was made up firm and the pillows were soft and comfy. The TV was off and on but it was late and I did not care. The problem was the odor!! I was on the 1st floor in a no smoking room. The smoking rooms were on the same floor and the odor was offensive. Someone was smoking a cigar and the stench was everywhere. I complained to Choice Hotels and they were supposed to have the manager contact me. Never happened. I would never stay here. If it had not been so late and I was not so tired I would have gone elsewhere. A/c on high and an air freshener put me to sllep.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank skip620
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your positive comments and I am pleased that you had a good stay overall.However, I apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced during your stay and don't hesitate to call me to share more information and I will try my best to rectify the situation.

Regards,

Sumitra
Springfield, Illinois
Reviewed June 24, 2012

Needed a place to stop late at night. Pulled in, got a great rate which included hot breakfast. Rate was from walking in off street at 10:30 PM. $79 total including tax for a 2 queen bed for my wife, 2 daughters, and myself. Room was clean. Overall rooms are a little dated, but met our needs perfectly. Stopped in a couple other hotels in same area, they wanted over $130 for the night. Great value.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank hate2lose
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed here 1 night on our way home. Supposed to be a non-smoking room, but the entire hotel smelled BAD ! Grout around the tub and hot tub was falling out. Hot tub worked fine. Close to many places to eat. Never did get wi-fi to work.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hoosiertraveler47
Dear hoosiertraveler47,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. All your comments are essential to educating our staff about good and bad service. We will ensure your feedback will be given to all. Furthermore, I will personally supervise that all your other complaints are addressed that everything will be in order on your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back then.

Sumitra