“Beautiful Hotel Wonderful People”

Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Reviewed April 2, 2007

I practically live at this hotel year around and the staff at this property really make me feel at home. I have been a priority club member with Holiday Inn for many years and this is one of the nicest and cleanest Holiday Inn's I have ever stayed at. It has a beautiful 5 story waterful that flows into an atrium garden and it actually reminds me of an Embassy Suites set up. I highly recommend the Holiday Inn in Bowling Green, Ky.

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank Christian2
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green

Reviewed January 30, 2007

We stayed here with many families during a convention. The hotel is awesome. It's big!!! It's clean!!! The standard rooms are bigger then normal hotel rooms. After reading previous reviews the pool was a concern UNTIL we got there to see for ourself. It was clean and they had towels by the pool which made it nice. The hotel had very nice decorations lots of meeting rooms. The staff was great. Great place to have a conference this hotel can accomodate lots of people. I would highly recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled on business
1  Thank travelbeach1234
Reviewed January 2, 2007

We stayed here on our way back from Florida and booked this hotel in advance, remembering what a great time the kids had in the pool from years past, on the same return trip from Florida. Upon arrival we went down to the pool and when we opened the door to the pool it smelled funny, almost musty. Then my girls walk over to the pool and the first words were "what's wrong with the pool, it's green" and "I can't even see the bottom". Then I took a look and yes, it was a little cloudy and a little green, but I told them that we'd still get in and try it. After about 10 minutes in the water, we all were slimy just like we all applied vaseline to our bodies. The hottub was not any better. Not only was it slimy like the pool, but only 2 of the 8 jets worked which seemed odd. This was the day after their New Years Eve guests and it truely looked like nothing had been cleaned. There were towels everywhere and there were used napkins on a few of the tables and the trash was FULL. The light posts and the glass encasing the lights inside the pool room were so thick with dust it made me want to clean them with the pool towels, but the slime on our bodies left us feeling gross enough so we headed for the shower, located inside the pool area. They even supplied soap which we appreciated that. The kids always enjoy the pool when staying at a hotel so this was a major disappointment. We did use the weight room. (Cable didn't work on the tv in the excersize room...just another little thing not to depend on.) and used the computer in the business center which was nice to catch up on our e-mail, but I felt bad they were so bored. We did have a good nights rest and beds were comfy, but I would not stay here again. We will find another hotel on our next trip when traveling through the area.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2006

Our family reserved four hotel rooms for three nights over Thanksgiving weekend at the Holiday Inn University Plaza in Bowling Green, KY. We had rooms 623, 624, 628, and 629. We checked in on Wenesday and left on Thursday morning around 10:00 AM for our Thanksgiving meal at a family friends house. When we returned around 8:30, my brother entered his room and found that his IPod Nano had been stolen. We reported the theft to the hotel immediately. They had my brother fill out a property incident report and told him that the manager, Colleen Vitter, would be in touch with him first thing in the morning.

They also sent an Engineering employee up to read the lock. The employee they sent up wasn't trained on reading the locks, so they had to call in some other employee. By the time he got in, the information was pretty redundant because my brother's Mac Powerbook system log told us the IPod had been improperly disconnected at 11:50. We later found out that one of the housekeeping keys was used at 11:43.

We went back to our rooms with no real apology from the employees on duty. Someone called us in the morning and told us that we needed to file a police report. The police came and my brother filed the report with them. We were told about the times on the housekeeping keys at this point. We also were told that one of the housekeepers who worked on the 6th floor the day before had only been employed there for one week and had called in sick that day.

At that point, you would think that Management would have been proactive and begun to try to address the customer service disaster. Not so! We didn't hear a word from the hotel. On Saturday when we checked out, we had to hunt down Ms. Vitter and ask again what their plan was for addressing the issue. Ms. Vitter, despite having 2 days and the police involved at an incident at her property, had not started her investigation. She said she had to "deal with the employee issue first". I have no idea why we have to wait on her HR issue for customer service! We asked her why she wasn't just dealing with the issue now, while we were there and got a bunch of evasions. Maybe she doubted that our item had actually been stolen? We're supposed to hear something from her Tuesday, but I have no faith that we will.

I have worked for Marriott and run a bed and breakfast inn. I NEVER would have let a customer leave my property in this situation without some attempt at apology and resolution. I will never stay at this hotel again. I wish Holiday Inn had some kind of satisfaction guarantee, but I can't find one.

Please, Beware. Lock up your valuables.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank ShanaLyns
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

This 7 story hotel is next to the convention center and has several features to recommend it. The rooms are spacious and clean with the usual ammenities. We stayed 3 nights on the 7th (quiet) floor. The atrium with it's waterfall is o.k., but hardly a wonderment. The 1 computer business center offers free internet access and 25 free photocopies - unusual in this day and age. We used the hotel's van to take us to the Corvette assembly plant on a very cold and rainy day, primarily because our rental car was not built by GM and the plant requires non-GM vehicles to park a very long way from the tour entrance. The staff agreed to pick us up at a specific time (no, you can't have a cell phone in your possession in the plant) and the driver who was supposed to retrieve us failed to show up for work and we waited 45 minutes in the rain and 35 degree weather after begging the plant guard to call the hotel and plead for a ride. The restaurant in the hotel deserves a one-star rating. The food is edible, but barely and the service is terrible. Interestingly, room service was excellent - go figure.
I suspect that this hotel is about as good as there is in Bowling Green, but have your meals elsewhere - there are several nearby restaurants which look o.k.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Stayed one night in June as a jumping off point to Mammoth Caves. Lobby and atrium were nice and I thought "great, the research has paid off". Front desk guy very bored with his job and not friendly at all! Asked about bell service and 'bored guy' tells us to just grab a luggage cart and go at it. We unload and get to the elevator and 'bell guy' returns to his post and says we shouldn't be using the cart, he'll bring the luggage up. Hubby says 'I just loaded it all up myself, I can unload it, thanks anyway'. I look at 'bored guy' who just smirks! Room looks nice. We check the sofa bed, which we need and it has dirty sheets on it. Ick!! Call housekeeping to get it taken care of. They come and drop the sheets off. "Don't you make the bed for us?" we ask. "Sorry, no English". Great, first night of vacation and I'm making beds! Bathroom was a little icky. Mildew in shower, hair and 'stuff' under the counter and as we discovered the hard way .... the toilet didn't flush! No, it just overflowed everywhere. Call housekeeping again and up comes some poor sap to fix the toilet. He was very nice and after we appologize profusely, he says "No problem, I do this at least 3 times a day?!? What! Check out the next day and 'bored guy' is there again. "how was your stay?" he asks "Well let me tell you all about it" . "Oh" he says, "well you already paid in full, so I can't do anything for you" "That doesn't suprise me" I answer, "Have a great day!!"
I do need to mention that I was sent an online survey which I filled out when I got home and the next day the manager of the hotel called me to see why I had rated it low. He was very nice and professional and apologized, promising to look into the problems.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2005

We stayed there for three nights for a car show. This place is big, clean, well designed and really very nice. Staff was friendly and very high quality. Place seems well run and everything was in good repair. I would stay there again without question. You do not get any sort of cramped feeling at this place due to the huge atrium complete with waterfalls. Is connected by a short walkway to a huge civic center for large events.

• Stayed: July 2005