“IPod Stolen From One of Our Rooms on Thanksgiving Day”

Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Reviewed November 25, 2006

Our family reserved four hotel rooms for three nights over Thanksgiving weekend at the Holiday Inn University Plaza in Bowling Green, KY. We had rooms 623, 624, 628, and 629. We checked in on Wenesday and left on Thursday morning around 10:00 AM for our Thanksgiving meal at a family friends house. When we returned around 8:30, my brother entered his room and found that his IPod Nano had been stolen. We reported the theft to the hotel immediately. They had my brother fill out a property incident report and told him that the manager, Colleen Vitter, would be in touch with him first thing in the morning.

They also sent an Engineering employee up to read the lock. The employee they sent up wasn't trained on reading the locks, so they had to call in some other employee. By the time he got in, the information was pretty redundant because my brother's Mac Powerbook system log told us the IPod had been improperly disconnected at 11:50. We later found out that one of the housekeeping keys was used at 11:43.

We went back to our rooms with no real apology from the employees on duty. Someone called us in the morning and told us that we needed to file a police report. The police came and my brother filed the report with them. We were told about the times on the housekeeping keys at this point. We also were told that one of the housekeepers who worked on the 6th floor the day before had only been employed there for one week and had called in sick that day.

At that point, you would think that Management would have been proactive and begun to try to address the customer service disaster. Not so! We didn't hear a word from the hotel. On Saturday when we checked out, we had to hunt down Ms. Vitter and ask again what their plan was for addressing the issue. Ms. Vitter, despite having 2 days and the police involved at an incident at her property, had not started her investigation. She said she had to "deal with the employee issue first". I have no idea why we have to wait on her HR issue for customer service! We asked her why she wasn't just dealing with the issue now, while we were there and got a bunch of evasions. Maybe she doubted that our item had actually been stolen? We're supposed to hear something from her Tuesday, but I have no faith that we will.

I have worked for Marriott and run a bed and breakfast inn. I NEVER would have let a customer leave my property in this situation without some attempt at apology and resolution. I will never stay at this hotel again. I wish Holiday Inn had some kind of satisfaction guarantee, but I can't find one.

Please, Beware. Lock up your valuables.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ShanaLyns

Reviewed March 27, 2006

This 7 story hotel is next to the convention center and has several features to recommend it. The rooms are spacious and clean with the usual ammenities. We stayed 3 nights on the 7th (quiet) floor. The atrium with it's waterfall is o.k., but hardly a wonderment. The 1 computer business center offers free internet access and 25 free photocopies - unusual in this day and age. We used the hotel's van to take us to the Corvette assembly plant on a very cold and rainy day, primarily because our rental car was not built by GM and the plant requires non-GM vehicles to park a very long way from the tour entrance. The staff agreed to pick us up at a specific time (no, you can't have a cell phone in your possession in the plant) and the driver who was supposed to retrieve us failed to show up for work and we waited 45 minutes in the rain and 35 degree weather after begging the plant guard to call the hotel and plead for a ride. The restaurant in the hotel deserves a one-star rating. The food is edible, but barely and the service is terrible. Interestingly, room service was excellent - go figure.
I suspect that this hotel is about as good as there is in Bowling Green, but have your meals elsewhere - there are several nearby restaurants which look o.k.

• Stayed: March 2006
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 11, 2005

Stayed one night in June as a jumping off point to Mammoth Caves. Lobby and atrium were nice and I thought "great, the research has paid off". Front desk guy very bored with his job and not friendly at all! Asked about bell service and 'bored guy' tells us to just grab a luggage cart and go at it. We unload and get to the elevator and 'bell guy' returns to his post and says we shouldn't be using the cart, he'll bring the luggage up. Hubby says 'I just loaded it all up myself, I can unload it, thanks anyway'. I look at 'bored guy' who just smirks! Room looks nice. We check the sofa bed, which we need and it has dirty sheets on it. Ick!! Call housekeeping to get it taken care of. They come and drop the sheets off. "Don't you make the bed for us?" we ask. "Sorry, no English". Great, first night of vacation and I'm making beds! Bathroom was a little icky. Mildew in shower, hair and 'stuff' under the counter and as we discovered the hard way .... the toilet didn't flush! No, it just overflowed everywhere. Call housekeeping again and up comes some poor sap to fix the toilet. He was very nice and after we appologize profusely, he says "No problem, I do this at least 3 times a day?!? What! Check out the next day and 'bored guy' is there again. "how was your stay?" he asks "Well let me tell you all about it" . "Oh" he says, "well you already paid in full, so I can't do anything for you" "That doesn't suprise me" I answer, "Have a great day!!"
I do need to mention that I was sent an online survey which I filled out when I got home and the next day the manager of the hotel called me to see why I had rated it low. He was very nice and professional and apologized, promising to look into the problems.

• Stayed: June 2005
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 23, 2005

We stayed there for three nights for a car show. This place is big, clean, well designed and really very nice. Staff was friendly and very high quality. Place seems well run and everything was in good repair. I would stay there again without question. You do not get any sort of cramped feeling at this place due to the huge atrium complete with waterfalls. Is connected by a short walkway to a huge civic center for large events.

• Stayed: July 2005
2  Thank Impala guy
Nashville, TN
Reviewed July 14, 2005

We just returned from 3 nights at the Holiday Inn University Plaza. I chose this hotel based on the previous reviews I'd seen at this site. I was particularly interested in the hotel's marketing which said they'd been voted the best for several years running.

The good: Very convenient location - easy access in and out, close to restaurants and shopping, and only 5-10 minutes to WKU. Large rooms, lots of space to get around the beds and a long counter in the bathroom, plenty of lights, large windows, 5 pillows on the bed. Very nice lobby with a variety of seating areas, an indoor waterfall, glass elevators. Great breakfast buffet where kids eat free. Mom and two kids ate for $8.50 each morning and had a selection of almost anything you could ask for. Indoor pool.

The "Needs to Work On": Would I got back to this hotel - absolutely. Why did I only rate it as average - because that's what it is. (I was trying to find a way to give it a 3 1/2.) Although it may be the best in the area, it's not going to compete with true 4 and 5 star locations. It is an older property, and that's something they can't change. The ceilings are low - my 10 year old had fun reaching up to touch them all the time! The bathrooms have clearly been caulked and recaulked, and the floor replaced. The decorations are adequate, but nothing special. The towels are typical smaller size and not the heavier weight of a nicer towel. There was only one towel/hand towel/washcloth for each person, no extras. There was hair in the bathroom in a couple places when we arrived. It took two calls to the front desk (about 2 hours between the calls) to get it taken care of. When the lady did show up, all she did was go in with a lint roller and roll them up. She did not try to clean the area. On two different occasions we ordered something off the menu (mac & cheese for a child, a club sandwich the other time) and it took forever. With the sandwich, the poor waitress felt so bad she gave it to us at no charge. The pool area is clearly an older, indoor pool. Lots of patch jobs on the walls and cailing.

Would I suggest you stay there if going to the area? Yes. But don't go in thinking that it's anything more than a nice 3-star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 13, 2005

We rented a suite, spend the extra if you have kids it was worth it. Room services was excellent and the breakfast buffet was great. Just remember it is attached to convention center and will probably be full.........the pool was way over crowded-they could use another one..........but overall experience was wonderful....stayed July 9, 05

4  Thank Dena L
Reviewed June 9, 2005

First time to Bowling Green. Spent only one night in regular room with double beds, so don't know about their deluxe rooms. The tropical atrium with waterfall was lovely. Breakfast bar, $8.50/each, excellent with great service, requested extra pillow and received prompt service. Gift Shop too expensive for limited fare. Smoking and Non-smoking rooms available, as well as a smoking area in the lobby outside of the Breakfast bar, otherwise smoke free. Indoor pool and Gym nice. The room was large enough with a chair/ottoman, desk, cable (with only one movie channelShowtime). Offer Wireless Internet and WebTV, plus pay-per-view, which is nice considering limited cable. The room was clean enough, but the housekeeping lacked significantly: as in housekeeper bugged us to death in an extreme effort to clean the room. This hotel is about 4 miles from WKU, which was full of registering freshman students and their parents. I became ill and we had another problem with locating our teen requiring a late check out, which the front desk told us would be fine. Obviously, housekeeping didn't get the message. When my husband returned to check on me --the housekeeper, who had been repeatedly, persistently knocking on the door periodically for three hours, at times yelling, "Housekeeping" then disappearing around the corner after I dragged myself out of bed to answer the door-- had her housekeeper's cart blocking the door. The woman said, "Not from here" and "No English," refusing to stop blocking the door. My husband found his card no longer worked and the housekeeper had to let him in. She immediately shoved a towel to keep the door open. I had to perform a rudimentary sign language to get her out of the room while we packed. Perhaps the front desk or her supervisor sent her to stalk us out of the place??? Don't know, but the experience was ghastly, particularly when we were charged half a day for being a couple of hours late checking out--hello, we couldn't find our kid! As we exited the room, the housekeeper's supervisor was standing with her, notepad in hand, talking to her and glaring at us. While we enjoyed the hotel otherwise, between the strange experience with the Housekeeping personnel and being told the "computer" had charged us and the front desk was "helpless" to refund us, we will not return to this place.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business