“Fancy looking place at a not so fancy rate.”

Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Reviewed February 27, 2014

first off I am in love with the layout of this hotel. It's wide open atrium with natural light and a waterfall doesn't make you feel crowded or like you're in a dimly lit lobby. The rooms are very nice. Yeah they aren't a 5 or 6 star quality rooms but they're very clean and comfortable and quite spacious for a room that had a king bed and a sofa.. The view overlooking the golf course was nice. Didn't see anybody playing but it's winter time so I imagine it's more lively during the rest of the year. I had some noisy neighbors and the walls are a bit thin but that's true of almost any hotel so I can't really hold that against Holiday Inn. I love that it was connected to the Sloan Convention Center which is where my event (Sukoshicon Bowling Green) was at so it was nice to walk between the two and not have to walk out into the cold. The elevator is pretty quick and if you're not paying attention you could be at the floor you need to get off on before you know it. My only complaint is that my room was in a far corner of the floor.. meaning no matter what i had to take this long walk around to get to the elevator.. but on the other side of that argument, it was nice to be tucked away in the corner and not have sounds of the elevator or waterfall right outside my room at night.

Room Tip: If you want a beautiful view and a quiet room ask for the highest floor possible in one of the corne...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This was a great place to stay. Normally I stay at Holiday Inn Express properties, but this was closer to where my event was the next day. WOW. This was a great stay . Our room was large, comfortable and clean. Bathroom was well appointed and supplied . After a long drive we decided to eat at the hotel and again ...Awesome! The broccoli cheddar soup was amazing. Our meals were hot and had great flavor. We will definately stay again. The only issue we had was we requested a non smoking room . We were assured we did not have one when we registered. We got to the room , opened the door and WHAM !! The overwhelming smell of fresh cigarette smoke knocked us over. We returned to the front desk and shared what had happened and the clerk was very indifferent. Said they 'd just turn on the ion machine and it would be fine. No!! Bedding needs to be washed , carpet etc!! Smoke kills!! As a cancer survivor I was insulted by her attitude. We asked for another room and finally were relocated. The other person in our group was sent to another property since they over booked for the night. She was comped her room there.
Big problem for us was the smoking room incident, eventually fixed and we were fine.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank lexy57
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Very nice. We had 3 adults and a preschooler with plenty of room. We were here over New Years eve and the place was quite loud, making it tricky to keep the little one asleep. Not a big deal overall, of course. The indoor pool was a big hit. N

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Very nice for a Holiday Inn the decor reminds you of a Embassy Suites the room was nice the breakfast was buffet was great plenty of meeting room space and a golf course goes is right out the back a great view if you like golf.

Room Tip: If you like golf ask for a golf view .
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank sixgears
Reviewed December 4, 2013

When this property opened, it had great potential for conferences and rooms. Over the years, it is readily apparent that no money has been invested into this property. This is reflected in the price decline (from $100+ to $70+) but honestly, $70 was too much. There are so many new properties in bowling green now to choose from that this hotel doesn't even qualify as an option for our family now. It smells completely musty, rooms are run down with cracks in bathroom, dirty smelling carpet, dark rooms, threadbare furnishings... Completely shocked at our last visit. It's got a great golf course and convention center attached so I would hope that Holiday Inn puts some renovations back into this property! They don't even have decent wine or food at the bar.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

KimWN333,

Thank you for review. Please let me apologize that we did not meet your expectations. Without feedback from our guests; both good and bad, we can measure where we have been successful and where we have not. Regarding renovation, I am excited to say that we are in the process of planning a renovation for our property in the near future. We are extremely excited about the planned improvements and know that our guests will be as well!

If I can be of any service, please don't hesitate to contact me at the hotel.
Best Regards ~ Brian

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This is a beautiful building with waterfalls and a fast, see through elevator in the lobby. All rooms face the lobby. Customer service is emphasized. Would stay here again even though it is further from the interstate than sister properties.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I was in this hotel for a conference, of which there were at least three going on simultaneously. The hotel had the rooms blocked for the event at one price, less than regular price, but I found that by going with a discount offered for some other organization I'm associated with, I got it Much cheaper. One person in the conference started to present with an allergic reaction to something, a doctor in the group said it was bedbug bites. A lot of us have experience in our careers with bed bugs, so there was a mass check of the rooms, but we didn't find any evidence of bedbugs.

Overall, my room was clean. I didn't have any issues. Other rooms smelled of mold or were very worn, but mine was fine. I was on the second floor, and it was obvious they had some mold from their fountain, because they were tearing up the walls, and the more the walls were exposed, the worse the mold smells got - even worse, it was around the elevators...so there was no escaping the odor.

The host staff seemed pretty clueless. When I first checked in for the event, I asked if I was at the right hotel, and the guy said, "hold on a moment." I thought he was going to look something up on the computer, but instead he walked over to a TV with information about the hotel streaming and stood there for 20 minutes watching for my conference name to pop up. Seriously? They don't have that information at the desk? I mean, this made the guy look so unprepared.

The breakfast was dismal. It was almost $8 to buy the continental breakfast, and the food was stale, warm when it should have been cold, and obviously still frozen in some cases... Ie: the cheese danish...wow... so bad. Luckily, when wait staff asked how we liked our breakfast, and we said it was pretty impossible to eat it, they said it would be on the house. Just like that. No argument, no, "can we try something else?"... they just comped the food immediately. Because it was that bad, and they knew it.

The rest of the conference the food was served by the hotel... and was dodgey at best. Wait staff was great, but they only assigned one guy to take care of over 30 people for lunch. He was spot-on, but obviously working his @$$ off keeping up with everyone. Breakfast the rest of the time was just like the first morning...the only difference was on the last day when they served crescent sandwiches... Mine was cold, but it tasted good. The second day lunch was the best - soup and a make-it-yourself sandwich.

In all the hotel was pretty, it didn't look antiquated, the heat system worked well and room atmospheres were easy to change. Half of the staff was really helpful and would go out of their way to do things while the other half were clueless. It was an average hotel. Nothing really made this place stand out - for either good or bad...

Room Tip: Check all of the specials and "special rates" across the internet for this place, because...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
BOWLGHIGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2013

Elie6 -

Thank you for taking time to review your most recent experience with our Hotel. We greatly appreciate the feedback provided by our guests. I apologize that we didn't meet your expectations. Our team works hard to take care of each of our guests with superior service in mind. We will be sure to use your comments to improve the level of service and the quality of our facility.

We hope to see you the next time you're in Bowling Green. Once again, thank you for your comments. If I can be of any future service, please don't hesitate to contact me personally. Safe travels! - Brian ~ GM