“A great stay”

Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We booked through Priceline. We checked in late, and the front desk clerk found the perfect room for our family. The hotel was exciting for the kids because it is so big and has so many things going on. It is in a great location for shopping and many, many restaurants in the area. Our room was beautiful and the beds were so comfortable. This was a great experience...the kids thought the water in the indoor pool was a little cool, but we had just spent a week in Florida, so anything below 100degrees would have been cool to them....haha.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed August 4, 2011

This is a beautiful property, with convenient conference facilities and top-notch service throughout. Everyone from the front desk to the event catering staff does their absolute best and responds quickly to every request. We've had 8 events there this year, and their answer to every single question has been, "No problem! Right away!" One time the WiFi was down, and the manager asked if I wanted to use his office to check my email!

Oh, and the food is very good. They served our groups sit-down lunches, and everyone was always pleased with the quality of the food and service.

The property is also located very close to lots of restaurants and shopping.

One downside is that it's a long, large building, with the check-in desk at one end. So, your room can be a bit of a hike from the elevator! Also ... it's a block or two off the main drag, so it can be a little hard to find the hotel the first time.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I used Priceline for an overnight stay in Bowling Green so my husband and I could go to the Corvette Museum and the GM Corvette Assembly Plant tour. I got the Holiday Inn for a very reasonable bid. HI is close to many chain restaurants and has easy access to I-65. Check in was quick, and the service was very pleasant. The hotel itself had a nice atrium with a waterfall terracing from the 4th floor to the 1st. Rooms were spacious and comfortable. The TV was an older model but worked fine. The only issue was in the slow drainage of water in the shower.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed July 21, 2011

My wife and our 3 year old son stayed at this Holiday Inn on the 4th of July weekend. We bought tickets through Priceline (Name Your Own Price) and got a pretty good deal. From the moment we arrived, the staff was friendly and courteous. Comfortable beds and free internet. The TVs are a little older, but there were plenty of cable channels. The only reason I didn't give a 5 star review is because house keeping banged on our door around 7 am one of the mornings. Overall, it was a good experience. Would stay again.

Reviewed July 19, 2011

The location of this hotel was very convenient to shopping and dining (chain type businesses). The staff was very friendly at check in. The hotel lobby is a big surprise and fun to explore. My kids appreciated the pool's size and pleasant setting. Our room was a nice size, clean, wonderful beds and a great bathroom. We did have to ask to be moved from our first room, though. We smelled dog urine the moment we walked in and there was an appropriately sized wet spot on the floor. We were moved without a problem, but it took us a bit to get used to the strong deodorizer smell in our next room. Evidently, they didn't use that in our original room. I'd like to see designated pet rooms similar to smoking rooms in the past. Those of us who don't want to have to smell the direct smell or be subject to what it takes to mask it would appreciate a fresher smelling room. I checked the hotel's policy on pets when we were waiting for a new room. It's 75 lbs and under. In my experience, the smaller the dog, the more likely they piddle.

Room Tip: Maybe ask ahead of time if they have non-pet rooms if you want to make sure your room smells fresh.
Reviewed July 18, 2011

Very nice common areas. Great customer service at check-in. Nice atrium. Room was nice enough. It would have been nice to have two queens instead of two double beds. There seemed to be plenty of room for queen beds in the room. Overall very nice. However, this hotel probably had the worst television reception of any hotel I've stayed in and I travel a a lot. Some channels were so poor, you could even make out the picture at all. I see other past review saying the same thing, but believe me it's truly bad. The old tube television wouldn't bother me, as you do still see them in hotels, but the reception should really be improved. I've seen better reception through old rabbit ear antennas than this hotel had through cable. I hate to go on and on, but it just seemed that this was so out of place considering the quality of the rest of the hotel. They really need to invest in an upgrade of some sort. Other than that, I would say the hotel is very nice and pretty high quality overall.

1  Thank Rugbytravelfam
GMBOWLG, General Manager at Holiday Inn University Plaza - Bowling Green, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2011

Thank you for taking time to write a review for our hotel. It is through feedback from our guests that we are able to continue to improve our service and facility. I am sorry that you had terrible TV reception during your stay. We recently changed providers and have had nothing but positive comments regarding the channel selection and quality of the signal since the changeover June 1. I will be sure to investigate this further to keep this from impacting any other guests.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn University Plaza as your lodging while you were traveling. It is our hope that you will stay with us when you return to the Bowling Green area. - Brian

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We decided a stay at the Holiday Inn University in Bowling Green would be a good overnight stop for us based on reading previous reviews and seeing it is listed as a three-star hotel on several websites. While the stay was comfortable, the room itself is far from three-stars. First, I will give kudos where they are due...the lobby atrium is lovely, and the staff we encountered at check-in and for room service were very courteous, friendly, and helpful. The first downside was at around 9:15 a.m. on the day of our departure, housekeeping just opened the door right up without knocking. With a posted noon check-out time, this seemed quite inappropriate. Granted when room service delivered breakfast, I forgot to deadbolt the door and hang the "Do not disturb" sign, but still. A knock on the door would have been nice...and even that would seem out of place due to the hour and posted check-out time. The second downside is the room itself. Yes, it is comfortable (especially those pillows!), but it should not be billed as a three-star hotel. I get that the atrium is lovely and the hotel set-up is wonderful, but in my opinion the hotel rating should focus mainly on the rooms since this is where guests spend most of their time. No hotel with double beds, rather than queens should be anything over 2 1/2 stars. Also, the rooms still have the old, box-style televisions with remotes that aren't the easiest to use. I could never find the menu button turn on closed caption. Lastly, the Internet speed was very, very slow. Like I said, comfortable stay, clean, and relaxing, but really warrants research beyond the said three-star rating.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple