“Excellent value”

Hilton Garden Inn Bowling Green
Ranked #5 of 36 Hotels in Bowling Green
Reviewed May 4, 2012

My husband and I recently stayed in the HGI, and were very pleased with the experience. Easy check-in, very friendly staff, very clean room and all public areas. Breakfast was lovely. Service excellent.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is a nice Hilton Garden Inn. The staff is very friendly, check in was smooth, rooms are large and beds ver comfortable. They have a nice, well equiped fitness center. Breakfast is good. there is a business center and free High speed wireless and wired Internet in the rooms. A lot of variety,fruit, danish,hot eggs, omelette to order and breakfast meats. They have done a good job keeping the property up. I will stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank mel88hrman
Reviewed April 21, 2012

My wife and I have stayed at the HGI for the past three years when we attend the Southern Kentucky Book Festival. We have never been disappointed. It has always been quiet and restful. The rooms are clean and spacious with comfortable beds. The staff is helpful and friendly. They provide an excellent breakfast buffet with made to order omelets, cereals, fruits, etc. for a reasonable price. It is a good location as well. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 12, 2012

How to rate this one? First, let me say that the hotel itself is great. If we excluded the restaurant, it would be Four Star +.

Our restaurant server on the day of our particular stay - ZERO Star (minus).

The hotel is nice. Hilton has done a great job of bringing above quality amenities and service into the mid-grade traveler budget. If you come in late and know that front desk staff HAS THE ABILITY TO NEGOTIATE (hint, hint - to the casual traveler), you can get a really good deal at a Hilton Garden Inn if you come in after 8:00pm without reservations and negotiate.

My family of five stayed here on a recent trip to Chicago (traveling through). I was able to negotiate about a $20 savings from the quoted rate and was also able to negotiate a complimentary breakfast coupon for the whole family (five of us) by "threatening" to go check out a nearby Holiday Inn Express that is offering a free breakfast.

Hilton will always deliver a substantially better food and beverage service than any of the "free breakfast" hotels because they cook the hot foods to order (like omelets) . Everything hot will be nice and fresh, not prepackaged and reheated like the others. That is why I would always prefer to stay at a Garden Inn if one is available and we can negotiate a "free" breakfast. feeding the five of us can really add to the cost of a stay.

During this particular stay however, we had the absolute worst restaurant server in the history of my travels (seriously). I handed the server our complimentary breakfast coupon as she sat us in the restaurant. She took our order, offered to get us beverages, and disappeared.

My wife wanted to get some orange juice to mix with a medication she needs, but the cold bar (buffet section) carafe was empty. Our server told my wife that they were out of orange juice (a lie). I went to get coffee from the buffet section, but it was empty as well. Our sever offered a second time to bring me some coffee, but it never arrived.

Because I couldn't believe a Hilton would run out of orange juice, and because I wanted some coffee, I asked a kitchen staff member for them. The kitchen staff said the orange juice dispenser was empty and they couldn't find the key to refill it (the key was later "found" in the "OTHER" dispenser).

We waited another 15 minutes for our coffee and OJ, received no food, then the server "reappears" with our bill and circles the "Gratuity Not Included" statement on the bill. No food, no OJ, no coffee, but we get the bill????????? And . . . gratuity not included!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By now, we were very upset. My wife took the bill to the front desk and asked if it were their policy to charge for breakfast before delivering it. The front desk supervisor apologized, and offered to take care of the bill (remember, we already had a complimentary coupon). He went to the kitchen (30 minutes in) and brought out a carafe of OJ, but still no coffee.

Five minutes later, our server brings out four of the five breakfasts (cold by now), and my first (and last) cup of coffee. We all ordered some kind of omelet, and the server asks "Which one of these is yours?" Funny, they all look the same from the outside to me, so I asked, "You don't know which is which?"

She proceeded to take a USED fork from my wife (who had eaten a little fruit from the cold bar) and them peal back and open each of our omelets while holding them in her arm. One almost fell, and she grabbed it mid-flight with the hand the fork was in "saving" it from the floor (full palm contact with the food).

Once she identified the internal contents of each omelet, she asked who's it was! I asked her, "You don't remember which of us ordered what???" This kind of service would be horrible for a Waffle House!!! And this was a Hilton!!!! She proceeded to deliver the pulled apart omelets to me, my wife, and two of my children.

Remember, I said she brought out four of the five breakfasts we ordered: My oldest daughter never received her meal. The server started arguing with us that she didn't order anything. I told the server I heard my daughter order when she was taking our orders. The server then "disappears" again, brings us another copy of the bill (with five buffet charges on it by the way), circles the "Gratuity Not Included" statement AGAIN, and says - nope, she didn't order. I then counted the members of our family, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and showed her the bill - five breakfast buffets. The server then said, "Yes, but there was no order on the ticket I gave the kitchen." By now I was trying to pull hair out of my already bald head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She took my daughters order AGAIN - the final meal arrived about ten minutes later - and we get another bill for SIX complimentary breakfasts - "gratuity not included" circled.

What follows next was a 30 minute, very animated, discussion with the Hotel Manager while my daughter finishes her breakfast. One hour and forty-five minutes after arriving, we leave the restaurant, no bill, and no "gratuity included."

All I can say in summary is: The hotel is probably the nicest in the area, and after our thorough conversation with the Hotel Manager, that server is probably no longer there (cross your fingers).

Room Tip: Ask for an "accessible" room. They are about 2' bigger than most.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank ZoidMeister
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our family stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during spring break so that we could visit area attractions. Our room was spacious, clean and nicely decorated. The staff was polite and helpful. We ate in the hotel restaurant for dinner and used a 10% off coupon we found in a Bowling Green brochure. We also ate breakfast in the restaurant, but only because we thought it was included in the room rate. Apparently this varies greatly from hotel to hotel, which I did not realize. Luckily, our server only charged us for one of the kid meals, but it wasn't very expensive in any case. A good option if you need to get breakfast quickly. We frequented the pool and hot tub, both were in working order and enjoyable. The hallways were a little noisy overnight and you can clearly hear doors slamming in rooms beside and above you.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the upper level to avoid some of the noise of rooms above.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2012

The best. That's all. Great service, great location, great value, all the perks of HGI's (cookies, breakfast, bar, food) plus extras like intimate outdoor seating and lots of common gathering spaces in the lobby area.

Rooms are clean, well appointed and comfortable. Free high speed wireless Internet, great work area with Herman Miller desk chairs and a separate comfy chair for relaxing. In-room coffee, microwave and refrigerator.

We hosted a series of business meetings with dinner and the meeting space was perfect. The food was excellent.

Kudos to the management and staff. This is a great hotel!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Stayed overnight during a recent vaction to KY. This hotel is everything that an "economy" hotel should be. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The beds appear to be Sleep Number beds that you can choose the softness or firmness of the matress. The staff was pleasent and accomodating. Parking is close and well lit. The business center is very easy to use. The fitness center and pool area were clean and maintained. There is even a continental breakfast included with your stay (while it is nothing to write home about, it was filling).

The location is EXCELLENT.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple