“Not my favorite cave--but, different”

Lost River Cave and Valley
More attraction details
Owner description: Lost River Cave & Valley is home to the only underground boat tour in the state of Kentucky. In addition to the boat tour, Lost River offers over two miles of nature trails and a unique butterfly habitat. Lost River Cave is one of the largest nature parks in the South Central Kentucky region.
Saint Charles, Missouri
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Not my favorite cave--but, different”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We went during a Fall Break week and got a super discount, so, I can't complain about the price. This is the shortest cave tour I have ever had--but, also the only river cave I have seen. Bring your own flashlight or head lamp if you want to try to get some photos--the only lighting comes from your guide's flashlight and my photos didn't turn out.

Visited October 2013
lostrivercavevalley, General Manager at Lost River Cave and Valley, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you taking to write a review for the tour at Lost River Cave. I especially appreciate your comments about lighting for photography. We have also experienced the issue with our own photo's. Do caves eat light for lunch? I beginning to think they do.

Florence, Kentucky
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“If you like caves, and you like boats, do this!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

The entire family loved this...It was a little shaky getting into the boat, but they make sure that everything is safe and they help you on... Remember to pay attention to your guide, and put your head down when you are told to (head trauma could really ruin a vacation!)...It was a short trip, but it was reasonably priced, and it was something that the kids will always remember... We would do this again, in fact, we will be looking for other opportunities like this from now on wherever we go. :)

Visited October 2013
lostrivercavevalley, General Manager at Lost River Cave and Valley, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your memories with other families. You are right, it does pay to duck your head...we laughing call that the 'adventure' part of the tour. LOL. Hopefully you will try out a few other caves on your travels, I hear that Ohio Caverns is really cool.
Louisville, Kentucky
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We enjoyed this boat ride in the cave. It is interesting, not very long trip, but worth doing. The guide was very informative and helpful with infomation.

Visited September 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughts on Lost River Cave. Our guides do work hard to present a good picture of the history and geology of Kentucky's Cave Country.
Smiths Grove, Kentucky
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Short but Nice”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I have been living in Bowling Green for some time and had yet to visit Lost River. Some friends were visiting from my home state and we decided since the tickets were half price, it would be a nice way to spend the afternoon. Our tour started exactly at 3:00, our guide was very friendly and was very knowledgable about the cave valley. Getting into the boat was a little bit scary for me since I'm clumsy as an ox! The entrance into the cave on the boat is very low but it doesn't last but maybe 20 seconds. The cave was nice and cool, the guide gave us all kinds of information ranging from the geological history to the legends surrounding the cave. No one on our tour was late and we were told by the front desk where we purchased our tickets to be at least 10 minutes early. As we were exiting from our tour, there were several people running toward the cave complaining the 3:30 tour left without them though when I looked at my watch, it was 3:45. Just make sure you are at least 10-15 minutes early if you are worried and make sure you are in the right place. I'm not sure what happened in the previous reveiwers' posts but we did not have an issue. My only complaint is the tour was rather short especially if you are paying full price. I would have liked to spend more time exploring the cave/surronding valley. Overall, we had a nice time. I would recommend if you haven't done it yet, it's a nice little afternoon activity.

Visited October 2013
lostrivercavevalley, General Manager at Lost River Cave and Valley, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your visit with other families. I hope this day will always be a special memory for you and your grandson.
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great way to spend an hour or two.”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

This was a great way to spend the day with friends. Relaxing boat ride and good commentary from the tour guide. The trails were well marked and fun for the kids to run around to view the various Halloween exhibits. The gift shop also had some really nice items without the HUGE price tag of most gift shops. We went during fall break were tickets were half price which made it even better.

Visited October 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your visit with other families. I hope that your day spent here will always be a happy memory for you and the kids. Isn't it amazing how happy kids are with something as simple to do as run down a wooded trail. Reminds me of when I was a kid too.
Happy Travels,