“Nice hotel staff, great breakfast”

Holiday Inn Express Bowling Green
Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Bowling Green
Louisville, Kentucky
“Nice hotel staff, great breakfast”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I was recently in Bowling Green because my daughter, a student at WKU, became ill and ended up in the hospital. By the time I arrived at the hotel it was 4am. The staff was very nice and gave me a discount because of my situation and since I arrived so late my stay included the following night at no extra charge. The next morning the water was turned off to fix plumbing issues. The front desk said they called all of the guests to let them know it was going to be turned off at 10am. The phone was right by my head and I'm a light sleeper, plus there was no message on my phone, so I think they missed my room. When I spoke with the manager she was very helpful and offered to let me use a room at one of their sister hotels across the street at no charge so I could shower and also did not charge me for my room.

My room was comfortable, clean and quiet. It was nice to have the sink outside the bathroom, especially after you shower and the bathroom gets steamed up. My room also had a refrigerator which was useful during my stay. The breakfast was very nice--a combination of hot and cold items. There were plenty of tables and the buffet was well presented and kept clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed October 28, 2013

A little confusing to find as there was roadwork and lots of traffic, restaurants, etc. But, cheerful greeting and efficient check-in. Gal at front desk cheerfully provided some plastic utensils for our in-room cheese and crackers! Clean, modern room. A pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Kokomo, Indiana
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I am giving this hotel an excellent score, because the only issues had nothing to do with the hotel itself. There is construction work on the road in front of this and other hotels in the area. Made entering and leaving a little tricky, but nothing you can't navigate if you look it over. The second issue was the water was turned off for repairs. It was supposed to be an hour, but turned out to be most of the evening. Again, things like this happen, so, not their fault. Everything they are responsible for was extremely well done. The hotel and rooms look almost brand new. Everything was clean and fresh. The employees we encountered were very nice and very apologetic for the water issue. The breakfast was typical, but nicely presented, plentiful and hot. The pool was closed for the season, which I expected, so no review on that. Plenty of restaurants and shopping close by. Would probably stay here again, but prefer a year-round pool and hot tub. I was using Reward Points - hence this choice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Westminster, Maryland
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here two nights. The hotel is very modern, which will appeal to some more than others. The room was clean and adequate, but somewhat smaller than other at other Holiday Inn properties where we've stayed. Trouble with the tub drain was fixed promptly. Sheets were not deep enough for a deep mattress and kept popping off. There was construction on the road right at the entrance to the hotel which made access more difficult.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the back of the hotel if possible. Our room (301) overlooked a residential area of...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
kentucky
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to our room to find one bed instead of two like we had booked. I guess I had not yet learned my lesson on booking through Expedia. The desk clerk informed me that they didn't have anything left with double beds but gave me a roll-away at no charge. The rooms were very clean and new, loaded with nice features. The beds were very comfortable. Our room was right next to the lounge and dining area and it was very noisy. At times I could hear conversation so well, I thought they were in the room with us! I am a light sleeper so this wasn't so good for me, but I travel with ear plugs so it wasn't that big of a deal once I put them to use. We were meeting our son for breakfast in town, so we didn't try the breakfast. I did, however, go check it out while getting a cup of coffee. It looked like a normal continental breakfast with hot foods and a pancake maker. The dining area was a little on the crowded side, pretty much like most places I have been. I think I would stay here again, only next time book directly!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Matt T
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night on our way to Nashville. Upon check-in there was a family with loud children and a lot of other families coming in to check in as well. The front desk clerk was very nice and got us room keys and checking in very quickly. When we went upstairs to our floor, there were kids running up and down the hallways, bouncing a ball. We went back downstairs and asked for a different floor and room and they were very accommodating. The misbehaving children certainly was no fault of the hotel's!

We had a good night's sleep and didn't hear much in the way of noise. The breakfast was good, but got very overcrowded with kids and family very quickly, which again is to be expected as this is a major route for families passing through. Workout facility was average with just a couple of pieces of equipment.

The location is less than an hour outside of Nashville and there are some restaurants up and down the road to eat at, making the location pretty good as well!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgia, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

No issues here, the basic Holiday Inn Express. I've stayed at this location a couple times and have not been disappointed.
Interesting story, the hotel was packed when i arrived for an early check-in. the front desk clerk told me that even though it was early, the rooms werent free until after 3 pm. Knowing i had a meeting to attend, i explained to her that if one became available before that time, would it be possible for me to check-in earlier? She obliged and I returned before 12 pm to find a room available. Not much of a story, but they were nice and helped get me into a room faster.
Only negative, for it to be a newer hotel, the caulking around the tiles in the shower was peeling away. A little maintenance would go a long way.

Room Tip: I would suggest calling and mentioning that you have AAA before you arrive. That way you'd have...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Bowling Green, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear ssolomon88,