“Charm and comfort”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, DC
“Charm and comfort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2007

We really enjoyed our one night stay at the Boone Tavern Hotel. The Berea College students who were working there were lovely, kind and helpful. We especially enjoyed having dinner in the restaurant. Our room was quite large, clean and very comfortable. The amenities were comparable to what you would find at a much more expensive hotel. I loved the bath soap and shampoo. The building was beautiful but not at all stuffy--very friendly and very relaxing. We only regret that we had just the one night there.

• Liked — Old style and charm.
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank viajero5

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Gaylord, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a two-night stay here on our way back from Florida. The place is something. An historic hotel built originally for guests visiting the college so they didn't have to stay with the President. Very nice and helpful staff (they were college students). We were lucky enough to have a very, spacious room overlooking the main street on the second floor. It was decorated very nicely with wood furniture made by the students. Very nice public areas around the hotel to sit or play chinese checkers or skittles or to watch TV.
The breakfast which is included in the reasonable room price was excellent. Several choices served by a very outgoing and friendly waitress. We also had dinner in the dining room one evening and that was also very good.
The front desk staff arranged a walking tour for us which is free of charge and given by one of the college students. You can either do the historical college tour or the craft tour.
Lots of craft shops and studios within walking distance.
I would highly recommend staying here. We'll be back.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank northernite
Rochester Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2007

The fact that you can stay at this historic inn for the same price as a chain hotel off the interstate is unbelievable - especially since the Boone Tavern Inn offers the same amenities as the chains but in a superior setting. The inn has free parking, free wifi,and a free breakfast served to order in an actual dining room with tablecloths, real china and silverware.
My wife and I stayed there 2 separate nights while driving down south over Christmas. We had different rooms each night and both were immaculate,beautifully decorated with maple spindle furniture. And we had excellent dinners both nights in the inn's dining room (my wife recommends the lamb chops). If you drink remember Berea is in a dry county so BYOB. The town was charmingly decorated for the holidays and it was great to be able to take a walk after dinner and window shop amidst the ivy-clad brick buildings of the campus.

• Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
4 Thank M&MRochesterHills
Southeast US
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern Hotel over 50 years ago with my parents. I think it is still the place to stay.

I enjoyed it so much on my trip out that I booked it again on my way home. [Note: the hotel cannot, at this time, be booked directly over the internet; however, you can email them through their site with your request, and they do have an 800 number.]

The hotel might not appeal to everyone --it is old-- but for those of us who appreciate the charm of older buildings, this one is a winner.

I stayed on both the 2nd and the 3rd floors -- it is my impression that those on the 2nd floor are nicer (although the prices are the same). My 2nd floor room had lovely 4-poster and a beautiful bath; my 3rd floor room was smaller and had a comfortable, but not particularly stylish bed and a not-too-recently redone shower. Both rooms were immaculately clean.

The rates were not that much higher than those on the highway -- and a very nice continental breakfast --lovely fruit-- was included.

When I made my reservation, I was asked if I would like to have dinner at the Inn; as I did not know my time of arrival, I decided to wait. As I walked by the front of the hotel at 7:30 --this was a Tuesday evening-- there were only two diners. I ended up at a quite nice, and very inexpensive, Italian restaurant around the corner; it was a bit noisy, but then this is a college town.

I had read on tripadvisor.com that the town is dry; I never asked, but I did not see any reference to alcohol at either the hotel or the restaurant.

The hotel has free wifi --ask for the codes at the desk, and the staff --many students at the college-- are not the most efficient (although I was there at the beginning of the term so many were perhaps a bit lacking in experience) but were very friendly and eager to please.

The next time I find Berea on my route, I will definitely stay at the Boone Tavern Hotel; I just hope it won't take another 50 years.

• Liked — I am a history buff; and I enjoy supporting well-run businesses that maintain and rehabilitate older structures.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
4 Thank schnauzerlady
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern Inn several weeks ago, and loved it. If you like history and old buildings/hotels, I would highly recommend it. The hotel is still owned and operated by the Berea College, which it has been since it was originally built. Our room was very clean and decorated very nicely. It had a much more homey feel than your average hotel room. I thought the rooms were very reasonably priced, considering the hotels location in Berea, and the overall accomodations. The Continental Breakfast that was included in the price of the room was great. Unlike any "Continental Breakfast" I've ever had. No paper plates and plastic utensils here! It was excellent.

• Liked — Old Hotel History and Charm
  • Tips/Secrets — Ask for AAA discount
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
1 Thank MaggerMae
Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2006

I stayed at the Boone Tavern one night. While I understand the building is 100 years old, overall I found it lacking in basic maintenance and cleanliness. The wallpaper in the room was peeling off the wall, the fire sprinkler heads were caked with dust, the carpet was dirty as was the upholstery on the chairs. The pillows on the bed were some of the thinnest I have ever encountered! The ladies lounge off the lobby was a mess, the tissue dispenser was broken and the cover laying on the floor and some of the paper products were out.

On a positive note, the hotel does provide free parking, a standard continental breakfast comes with the room price and the reception staff on Sunday was very pleasant and helpful.

I ate dinner at the Boone Tavern Saturday night and while the service was "spotty", the food was good.

This was not my first visit to the Boone Tavern Inn and unlike my prior visit I was very disappointed that the Inn is becomeing "run down". I hope the Berea College Trustees will take time to look critically at the Boone Tavern Inn and restore it to its former high standards. Berea College is a unique concept and the Boone Tavern is an intergral part of what makes Berea special.

• Stayed July 2006
5 Thank Lynn940
Oxford, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2006

Hotel was very nice, especially for the price. The food was mediocre, but the room was a very pleasant surprise in this rural locale.

• Stayed June 2006
2 Thank msmithmd
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berea
Holiday Inn Express Berea
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lexington Berea
Red Roof Inn and Suites
BEST WESTERN Richmond Hotel
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Richmond
National Heritage Inn and Suites

Been to Boone Tavern Hotel? Share your experiences!