Boone Tavern Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
View Hotel
All reviewshistoric hoteldining roomberea collegespoon breadspoonbreadcraft shopsceiling fanthe wait stafflambsouthern charmchain hotelsmodern amenitiesbed was very comfortablesmall townhand maderocking chairswe ate breakfast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 23, 2009

We were looking forward to staying in the newly remodeled historic hotel in Berea but were disappointed by the lack of service for the front desk and management staff. We found a great rate noted as a 48 hour sale. I called the number listed and when I aksed about the 48 hour sale I was hung up on. I called back and asked to speak with the manager. I was informed no manager available and the front desk person was not aware of the 48 hour sale. She said the manager would return my call. I waited until the next day after no returm call and called again. The front desk said they had not seen the manager. Later the member of management called and said she would honor the price. The General Manager then called and he also said they would honor the price. However when my wife called to book the stay this was not the case. We were passed to the front desk and told they would not honor the price.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tj3js289
Reviewed July 27, 2009

This trip was a last-minute idea, and we got a great rate at the lovely Boone Tavern Hotel. The hotel just completed a fantastic remodel, and the entire place is simply beautiful. This is the first LEED certified hotel in Kentucky. They did a great job preserving the old, but adding beautfiul new touches. The room was a bit small, but completely manageable. The bed was so luxurious and comfortable. The bathroom was beautiful with a pedestal sink and white marble floors. The rooms are nicer than they appear on the hotel website.

I can't say enough about the staff, they were friendly and helpful. The rooms and common areas were exceptionally clean. A wonderful stay from start to finish.

The hotel is located in a "dry" community, so if you are looking for nightlife or a cocktail with your dinner, you won't find it here. There are lots of options for this about 10 miles away, so let let this keep you from a stay at the Boone Tavern.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We were looking forward to this historic hotel in Berea but were disappointed in the very small rooms and accomodations. The shower just trinkled out; however, the bath was great. My husband and I prefer showers. Hotel staff were very nice. We had booked 3 rooms and requested queens but when we arrived we had 2 queens and a double. My husband and I took the double. The ceiling fan was so noisy that we could not use it and, yes, we needed it. And, yes, we let the hotel staff know upon our checkout. So we did not get a good night's sleep due to waking up sweating on and off. The walls of the hotel are very thin. If someone has a tv on (even at a low volume) you can hear it in the hallway. When we checked out the next morning, the front dest was unable to separate our 3 rooms on to 3 charges so one couple paid for all the rooms and the other 2 had to reimburse. Seems like a simple thing to charge each guest separately but not for the Boone Tavern. If you do visit, we highly recommend Papaleno's for dinner; just a short distance down the block.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank Lynne5477
Reviewed May 11, 2009

Many changes have occurred with Boone Tavern's recent redo: now, the big emphasis is on green technology and materials, which is commendable. The front desk and dining room staffs are friendly and welcoming, as always, and the dining room offers excellent food in an attractive setting, with pale blue walls, crystal chandeliers, large oil landscapes, and nice antique reproduction chairs. However, the free breakfasts are no more, unless, like friends of mine, you find cards for a free continental breakfast in your room. My room lacked this nice extra.

My room's decor was quite different from the cozy, warm-atmosphered rooms I remember from my annual stays here. Now it's all navy and white, not bad, but chilly in appearance, especially without any artwork on the cold white plaster walls. The beautiful Berea College student industries handcrafted wooden furniture remains and some has been refinished, no doubt necessitated by hard use over the years. New rugs in the lobby and hallways are also dark blue, with a gold figure, though the carpet in my room was a generic taupe. The heat/cooling control in my room was not user-friendly, as the directions were not clear. I tried to bring the heat up from the chilly 66 degrees which greeted me, thought I had reset it to 70, but it kept kicking back to the lower temp. At least I could open the window for warmer fresh air! The mattress was extremely comfortable, with ample pillows of various degrees of softness, and I slept well.

The bathroom reflected the new green emphasis, with taupe cotton towels, and soaps, shampoo, and lotions with natural materials. However, the water is now "enhanced" by softeners (Berea's natural water is quite hard in this limestone area), making it difficult to get all the shampoo out of my hair and leaving my hair limp and hard to style. Additionally, the lack of a grab bar combined with the excessively soft water make getting out of the slippery tub potentially dangerous, with my post-surgery knee issues.

I do not know if the cold water in the bathroom basin was also softened, but this could be a potential problem if it was consumed by someone who needs to watch their sodium intake. However, a good supply of bottled water (in specially decorated Boone Tavern plastic bottles) was included in the room - but oddly enough, it was imported from California, despite the ready availability of well-known, extremely good, reasonably priced, commercially bottled water from a spring in an old quarry near the close-at-hand Kentucky River (less than 35 miles away). With all the emphasis on being "green", I was surprised to see that the bottled water offered wasn't local. The fancy bottle is one upscale touch I could happily do without, considering the probable cost (no doubt passed on to hotel guests) plus the obvious disregard of the "buying local" green mantra.

A burlap-wrapped package of corn meal with a recipe for Boone Tavern's delicious signature spoonbread was a nice surprise to find in my room.

Then there's the lobby, former site of many pleasant gatherings of friends. Friendly clusterings of sofas and upholstered chairs used to be softly lit by table lamps, and the grand piano was appreciated by the many musicians who habitually stayed in the Tavern during Berea College's Christmas Country Dance School. Daniel Boone's portrait was prominently displayed, an antique grandfather clock added another homey touch, and a display of Early American Pattern Glass pitchers once used in the dining room added to the interest and sense of honored heritage.

Now, it's hard to locate Daniel Boone's oil portrait. Instead, giant round mirrors on either side of the passageway leading to the front desk add to the glare of the excessive ceiling lighting, which cast a lurid glow over the flashy dark blue decor when I returned to the Tavern late Saturday evening after a gathering with friends.

Not a soul other than the desk staff was to be seen, nor was anyone enjoying the lobby the next morning when I went to breakfast in the dining room. No wonder - the former warmth is gone. The arrangement of the furniture was not welcoming, and the comfortable upholstered chairs and sofas are gone. Dark blue fabrics are used, without a touch of warmth other than the gold figure in the wall-to-wall carpet hiding the hardwood floors, and those god-awful gigantic round mirrors and glossy dark woods are everywhere. It's designed to impress - but I felt oppressed instead.

It's not the same - and I miss it.

I don't know who Boone Tavern's new decorator was, but it seems to me that a historic building's heritage needs to be respected and honored by its furnishings. This is no longer the case in the flashy Boone Tavern lobby.

Prices have increased, but value hasn't, at least for those of us who cherish traditionand warmth in our surroundings. But since styles change, the current excessively trendy version of Boone Tavern may prove short-lived, if other long-time guests share my views.

It would be easy to turn off that water-softener, add grab bars to the tubs, add a note to explain the heating controls, get rid of those humongous round mirrors, soften the lighting in the lobby and rearrange the furniture into friendlier groupings, hang pictures in the guest rooms, warm up the lobby with flowers or a few touches of color other than dark blue...in other words, restore some of the lost warmth and tradition to this much-loved, historic hotel.

And replace that Cali. water with good Kentucky limestone spring water. Forget the designer bottles: save transportation money, and buy locally.

It's the green thing to do.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
5  Thank CraigCreek
Reviewed April 13, 2009

We stopped at the Boone Tavern recently since we had last stayed there on our honeymoon in 1986. Then it was a rather rustic yet charming old building with radiators in the rooms and good food in a weathered dining room. Imagine our surprise when a banner outside announced "Now Open." We went inside to find a stunning $13 million renovation that has created a tasteful yet grand haven of southern hospitality. The once dated dining room is resplendent with traditional furniture, polished chandeliers and a soothing gray-blue paint scheme that is absolutely beautiful.

The guest rooms have been gutted and completely restored in a "green friendly" manner. Each room is beautifully furnished with handmade wood furniture and quilts woven by students and local artisans. The bathrooms are equipped with Jacuzzi tubs, ceramic tile and fixtures appropriate for the era. Don't miss an opportunity to spend a luxurious night while savoring the beauty of Berea and the college.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple