“Good Pizza!”

Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We actually did delivery rather than go to the restaurant because we were traveling via motorcycle and it was raining. The pizza was quite good. We prefer a thinner crust but overall the crust was pretty good. The sauce was really excellent and the veggies popped well with the sauce. I would like to have tried the restaurant itself. Maybe next trip through Berea!

1  Thank Nancy B

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Papa Leno’s is literally tucked away across the street from the Berea College Campus. My daughter, a student at Berea, has spoken well of it often. On what was my first visit there, she recommended it over the famous (and ½ block distant) Boone Tavern. Nowhere near as formal, nor as expensive, it would seem that Papa Leno’s attracts a younger and more local crowd.
When you enter, you order. Not at a counter, per se, but at the register. Even though it was the Saturday before Easter and the campus was almost totally empty, Papa Leno’s was almost completely full. The crowd was a mix of college age students, local families, and a couple of tables with young women dressed up for their prom from a nearby town. The atmosphere is comfortable and casual, and the smell of garlic and pizza strikes you before you even step inside. My daughter ordered the Apple Tuna Stuffed Tomato salad, and I went with the Portabella Mushroom and Provolone Sandwich (1/2 order). You seat yourself, and await your food, which is delivered to your table. Drinks are self-serve, and there is a reasonable selection of Pepsi products and tea. There is no alcohol anywhere in Berea, as Berea sits in a dry county. This is true even at the apparently inappropriately named Boone “Tavern”. The salad came with a single huge piece of Garlic Bread. It looked like a giant slice of Focaccia: soft, dense, and warm inside; browned, crusty and chewy on the outside. The top was brushed with a generous swab of very garlicky Garlic Butter, with plenty more seeping out and onto the bottom of the plate. It was absolutely delicious, with plenty of butter on the bottom of the plate for “soppin’”. The salad was more than generous, and came with a whole large tomato that was more sliced and partially dissected with the Tuna on top, than hollowed out and stuffed. There was an abundance of veggies in amongst the greens.
I enjoyed the Portabella and Provolone sandwich very much. The marinated mushroom cap was well cooked and came with chips. Holding it all together was also Focaccia type crusty bread; equally warm and wonderful as the aforementioned slab of garlic bread. The cheese was nicely melted and the toppings seemed fresh. It was not a large sandwich (3 to 4 inches), but it was a flavorful one. There was a nice contrast between the crunchy, toasted bun and the soft portabella inside.
We found the staff to be friendly and efficient, the pace to be busy but not frantic. Papa Leno’s is what one would expect in a college town - fast, friendly and affordable. I would most certainly come back.

2  Thank GregS18348
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We stopped at Papa Leno's after a long drive on a Saturday afternoon. There were six guys standing around behind the counter. Six employees...no one greeted us, no one seated us, no one handed us menus. I walked up to the counter to give our order and the guy acted like he couldn't be bothered. Food was ok, for Midwest Italian (which is mediocre by definition!) My wife had the baked spaghetti with meat sauce; I had a small cheese pizza.The Pizza was the better of the two and a good value. The bread dripping in garlic butter came along with the spaghetti and was a nice touch. It took me ten minutes to find the men's room which is unmarked and had a lady sitting in it for an extended period! We ALWAYS leave a big tip...this one tested our resolve! Deano

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We loved this place. So wish there was a pizza place like this in Ohio. Not only was the Mountaineer Pizza AMAZING the children’s spaghetti was INCREDIBLE. You couldn’t beat the price for everything and we still took food home. We had leftovers for two days and it was still good. I would drive all the way back to Berea again just to eat a Papaleno's Restaurant again.

1  Thank seanbeckaroo
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Good ole Papaleno's is one of the most famous restaurants in Berea for locals and students. Because it is located in the heart of Berea College there's always something happening around that area. They have awesome food, this is were I usually get my lunch from. I order a big slice of Pepperoni and Bacon for less than $5 and I am full. They also have pastas which are more pricy but still very delicious. Very good place to go and eat with friends and/or family. If you want to get the Berea experience then you must come to Papalenos.

2  Thank riosel7