“People were friendly, and hotel clean”

Red Roof Inn and Suites
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Berea
“People were friendly, and hotel clean”
Reviewed July 17, 2011

The breakfast was kept clean and was very good with pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage. The room needs a little upkeep, but nothing that made it unaccetable. It was very clean and no smells. The check in lady was cheerful.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviewed July 9, 2011

My family and I stayed at this hotel for only about 10 hours - Room 302 - 2 Queen beds. We just needed a quick night's sleep and breakfast before we headed over to Berea College early the next morning (a 5 minute drive from the hotel). Check-in was quick and smooth and the attendant was friendly. There is a canister of free chocolate chip cookies at the front desk all times of the day and night which I thought was pretty neat. Our room was clean and stocked with toiletries, towels, hairdryer, coffee & coffeemaker...The only dirty thing was the bathroom door - dirty handprints all over the inside of it as if it had been opened when they were cleaning the bathroom and they had never thought to close it and look at the interior side of the door. I did see one bug in the bathroom - not sure what it was, but I've looked up pictures of bed bugs and it didn't look like that. The television in the room seemed outdated, but it worked perfectly fine and we had about 6 - 10 channels to flip through. Wireless Internet was free and worked fine in the room. The cooling was fine - it took about 2 hours to get the room to the cold temperature we like because the room hadn't been cooled at all that day, and we visited on one of the hottest days of the year. We all slept well - the beds were firm and we didn't hear any noise from neighboring rooms. Each bed had 3 pillows that were comfortable but small, so two of the people with me only got one pillow each. We probably could have asked for extras but we didn't care enough to. The continental breakfast at 7:30 was a little crowded but the food was stocked pretty well. Scrambled eggs (a little dry), biscuits and gravy, bagels, breads, muffins, yogurt and granola, oatmel, cold cereal, and milk. Would have liked to make a Belgian waffle but the line for waffles was too long to wait through. The indoor pool looked nice, but we never got to use it since we were only there for a short stay. Check-out in the morning was also quick and smooth and the attendant was friendly. The front porch to the hotel is very nice, too - I saw several people lounging on the benches out front enjoying the shade. One thing, though, if we'd been staying longer - there were no "privacy" signs to hang on the room doors. If we'd been staying longer, that might have bothered us since we don't ever like to have housekeeping service when we're at a hotel. We also didn't see a safe in the room. Overall, though, this was a fine hotel with a clean room and a very good breakfast for a reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank rhonda2698
Cape Coral, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2011

After staying at CI &S on our way from FL to OH and loving it, we decided to stay at another on the way home. The rate was better here than in VA. Front desk clerk was very slow to respond when we got there and seemed to head outside every chance he got!
Room was fairly clean but not as comfortable as we'd hoped...they need new comforters!
The next morning was much better...the staff was lovely and front desk clerk told us about the rewards card...we appreciated that :) Breakfast was delicious, loved the real coffee mugs.
Thought we'd have a nice mountain view but didn't and would have preferred rockers to the benches out front. We'll stay again though, just think they could improve in a few areas at this location.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
San Pablo, California
Reviewed April 18, 2011

I had intended to stay here for a college tour at Berea College in May. I found a reasonable rate on line, but through the college site they stated to call for a Berea rate, so I did. It began with the guy on the phone not giving his name. Then I proceeded to tell him I was coming for a tour. He asked for date, room type. He asked my first and last name, and said, "what type of card are you using?" I asked the price of the room, and he quoted me $79, which was more than the advance rate I could have purchased online. I told him, "No thank you!" He said, "Well that was a waste of time!" I said, "Excuse Me..." and he hung up on me.

I have never experienced such rudeness from someone at a hotel/motel/inn. Needless to say, we will not be staying at this location.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank BbSister

Travelers are raving about these Berea hotels

Michigan
Reviewed March 28, 2011

Do not stay hear if you value your money. My wife and I travel to a different state every year for our anniversary. This year we went to Jekyll Island, Georgia (awesome place). on our way home we traveled as far as we could but about 3:30 am we decided to get some sleep. We found the Country Inn and Suites in Berea, KY. When I checked in the lady at the desk was nice, she asked me if I realized that checkout was at 11:am. I said yes we just need some sleep because it was 3:30. She said that daylight savings time was that night so it was actually 4:30 am. So she said that she would talk to her manager to see if she could get a lower rate for us. The price didn't really matter but I thought that would be nice anyway. I went out and got the rest of the family which included: My mother and father in law, my wife, and three teenagers. I had rented 2 rooms advertised at $69/night. We got to bed about 5:00 am after I got done standing out side keeping my in laws company while they smoked their cigarettes. I woke up at 9: am and the breakfast was fantastic. Long story short the staff was nice, food was good, but after reviewing my expenses on my bank account they charged me an additional $125. I never received a discount. When calling them I found that they charged me the extra based on the maid finding an empty cigarette pack in the trash can. Word to the wise do not through your trash away at the Country Inn and Suites in Berea, KY. I will not recommend any hotel that fraudulently takes money from people. I spent over $3000. on this trip and the only problem with the whole trip was this hotel. I have stayed in the best and worst hotels in the country and I have never had one of them steal my money. By the way the best hotel ever is the Anderson Ocean club and spa on Myrtle Beach, SC.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Mforbes1130
Bowling Green, Kentucky
Reviewed December 25, 2010

We just returned home from a stay at this hotel and was very pleased with our time there. The lobby is very inviting with a small sitting area featuring comfortable chairs, couch, books and a fireplace. Also in the lobby is a public computer for use by visitors. Our room was very comfortable, roomy and extremely clean. The staff, especially the manger was friendly and helpful. The fitness center is small but has great treadmills, and is adequate for a workout. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing a clean comfortable place to stay at a great price.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShalomPoet
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Just back from two consecutive weekends at the Country Inn and Suites in Berea, KY. This was one of the hotels for the FEI World Equestrian Games (WEG). Of the hotels available through Short's Travel for the WEG this was one of the more affordable. Stayed in third floor rooms near the elevator both weekends. On the first weekend there was a significant smoke smell in the hallway, despite rooms on the third floor being marked No Smoking.

Rooms were clean and comfortable, though the bed was very firm. Bathroom offered a sufficient supply of towels of good quality. Sheets for the bed were good, though a higher thread count would be nicer. TV offered a limited range of channels.

Hotel was to capacity but we did not experience much sound carry over from room to room or hallway to room other than what sounded like a group of teenagers at one point during our first weekend there. Breakfast offerings were not as good as other chains...no yogurt or make your own waffles but that can be chalked up to personal preference more than anything. Breakfast area looked well kept and had ample seating.

Biggest drawback during our trip involved one of the hotel staff. We had wristbands for the shuttle service being offered during the games. Closest pick up location was at the Best Western just off I-75, exit 104. Casey at the front desk provided directions he apparently printed from Google maps. I trusted him and failed to check directions myself (big mistake). Those directions took us off exit 99 and down a one lane country road...extra time involved in getting back on the right path made us late for our event.

When Casey was contacted by phone and advised that the directions were incorrect, he insisted that he would continue to give them out and then proceeded to hang up on my call. Prior to him hanging up I literally begged him...'please, please, please do not give those directions out...wrong exit number, country roads, they are wrong.' He stated more than once he would continue to give them out if asked and he did hang up the call.

Took this up with the assistant manager Lee the next day and showed him the directions. (I Googled the directions later myself with that search showing exit 104...not sure what address he put in for the Best Western to get exit 99 and one lane country roads for a route.) Lee said he would talk to the employee but I have no idea if the bad directions were still being distributed.

Other than that unfortunate incident we had a good stay and would consider staying here again if in the area (but we won't ask for directions).

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PeaceLoveBoba
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berea
Boone Tavern Hotel
Red Roof Inn Richmond, KY
Red Roof Inn Richmond, KY
#6 of 14 in Richmond
Best Western Richmond Hotel

Been to Red Roof Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!