“Best in Berea”

Boone Tavern Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Boone Tavern Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 52 Restaurants in Berea
Cuisines: American
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Romantic, Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 100 Main Street N.
Ontario
“Best in Berea”
Reviewed January 17, 2010

Our entire dining experience at this restaurant was very pleasant. The dining room is spacious and nicely decorated. Our soup and appetizers were great. The main course was good. The service was excellent.
One thing to note is that alcohol is not served in this restaurant which seems ironic because it is called a tavern.

1 Thank R_LOntario

Bay City, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,384 helpful votes
“Has this place gone downhill?....”
Reviewed January 3, 2010

This is our 2nd visit. Our first visit was excellent, in terms of service/atmosphere/FOOD. We had the Bird's Nest the first visit, and we both had it again this time around. However, the food arrived semi-cold. The portions seem much smaller. My dinner had very little mashed potatoes, while my DH had plenty. The spoon bread was quite watery. Salads were very good. The atmosphere was just as lovely and the service was just as good as the first visit. I hate to give it an average rating. The remodeling done to the restaurant and hotel is beautiful, absolutely beautiful. We hope to stay at the hotel one of these fine days on a future trip. I think I would eat at the restaurant again, but I would order something else.

5 Thank tymetraveler222
Baltimore, Maryland
“Impeccable Service, Average Fare”
Reviewed January 1, 2010

I was in Berea doing some shopping at the artisan's square and had lunch at the Boone Tavern. The service was without flaw and although the food was well executed, it lacked the refinement I tend to crave when paying the prices their menu commands. The fried green tomato salad was novel and tasty, but the tomatoes had quite obviously been cooked earlier. The hot brown was an interesting first time experience, but not one I'm likely to repeat (though I should point out that the white cheddar béchamel was very well made).

The renovation looks extensive. The dining room was beautiful and I'm sure the care was extended to the revamped hotel rooms.

Altogether the meal was average and the service outstanding, but for the prices they're charging (for that area, at least) they should be able to get them both right. I recommend coming here at least once, more for the experience of dining at the historical location than anything else, but it's not an establishment I would frequent on a regular basis.

2 Thank Robin V
Peoria IL
“An elegant oasis on the road”
Reviewed August 18, 2009

We didn't know what to expect at the Boone Tavern in Berea, KY when we saw the signs along the highway. An old cabin & local tourist trap? Instead we found an elegant dining room of the recently renovated hotel, good service, very good food, and an hour of relaxation. If you want an atypical stop along the highway, drive the extra mile or so to downtown Berea and the Boone Tavern

2 Thank ejonone
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Average food; above average prices”
Reviewed July 5, 2009

After hearing about Boone Tavern for years, my husband and I ate lunch there on July 3. Service was good but the food, at best, was average. The spoon bread was gummy and tasted very bland. My husband's hot brown was obviously not hot. I ordered the catfish and shrimp which cost $15. The catfish consisted of a small filet and there were only 3 shrimp. Again, the batter used with the fish and the shrimp was rather bland as were the hushpuppies. The coleslaw, while tasty, came in a condiment size ramekin.
I substitued kettle chips for french fries and they were delicious.
While the setting was nice and the service good, the food was just average and rather expensive for what we ordered.

3 Thank nancycinti

Been to Boone Tavern Restaurant? Share your experiences!