“Delightful Surprise on Our Road Trip!”

Tater Knob Pottery and Farm
Ranked #2 of 22 Shopping in Berea
Santa Rosa, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Delightful Surprise on Our Road Trip!”
Reviewed June 15, 2014

My sister and I visited Berea as part of a road trip to the Smoky Mountains. After visiting the artisans in town, we almost skipped Tater Knob because it was ten miles out of our way. So glad we didn't! We were greeted by David, who warmly described their handiwork as he gave us refreshments. David took a lot of time with us explaiining Sarah's pottery, his own pottery, and his father, Jeff's paintings. All three are very talented, warm, and interested in teaching us about the pottery. Sarah threw a spoon bread plate for us to watch and she patiently talked about the process. Afterwards, Sarah went out of her way to advise us on scenic roads to take, a wonderful rejuvenating place to stay outside of Robbinsville, and suggested we visit a potter friend of hers in Robbinsville, NC. Our trip to Tater Knob was a highlight of our vacation. I highly recommend a visit to Tater Knob and the genuinely good people who make their life's work there.

1 Thank Mary33055

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Amazing Place”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Sarah is an amazingly talented and hospitable women. When my colleagues and I visited her studio we were welcomed with warm smiles. We were given wonderful refreshments and were seated to watch Sarah make her pottery designs. Our visit was very interactive as we were able to ask questions and touch some of her work. She was very willing to answer questions and you could tell that she has a deep passion for her art. My experience was a one of a kind experience and Sarah even ended the experience with a hug that left her clay hand prints on the back of my colleagues and I shirts.

1 Thank Keyahdah
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“An experience unmatched”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

The pottery business of Sarah Culbreth is truly exceptional. Immediately upon stepping out from the car and into the gravel driveway leading up to her shop, my friends and I were greeted by a puppy who was clearly excited to have visitors, given his wagging tail and ample supply of dog kisses. Once inside the shop, Sarah was the first person to greet us, and she quickly escorted us through a hallway to her ceramics studio where she sat us down, brewed us a fresh batch of Fair-Trade Organic Coffee served in her own handmade mugs, and began creating a beautiful masterpiece on her turning wheel. She engaged with us, answering our questions about her history as a potter and educating us on her art form. We spent nearly an hour in Sarah's shop before leaving, and I feel we could have stayed much longer if our schedules would have allowed. The hospitality that Ms. Culbreth extended to us was unmatched in any other business I have visited in Berea, and I already have plans to revisit Tater Knob Pottery in the near future with family. I would encourage you to do the same!

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Incredible Work and People”
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Sarah Culbreth brought us into her studio and showed us true hospitality. We were given refreshments and sat down to watch her work with the clay. She was able to interact with us and answer all of her questions while still working magic with the earth! All of her creations are amazing and it was completely worth the trip!

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Pottery With Charm; heartwarming art.”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I visited with my friend in search of another artisan. We did not find him there, but we did not leave either because of the high quality of art that was available and mostly because of the amazing hospitality of Sarah Culberth, the artist.
She welcomed us into her pottery, told us to make ourselves comfortable then and offered us punch and some tasty fresh organic French roasted coffee. She then went on to engage us in the history of her trade while showing us how she does pottery; yes, she threw for us to experience even though she had not planned to throw any that day.
The product of that throwing was a beautiful vase that I felt attached to because I watched it coming to life through the artistry of Sarah. It was an immense educational and inspirational experience.
Her crafts are absolutely gorgeous.