“Terrible customer service!”

Ranked #1 of 4 Berea B&B and Inns
Berea, Kentucky
“Terrible customer service!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Bottom line: STAY AWAY!

My partner and I booked this Inn for the night before and the night of our wedding. When we arrived late on Friday we found that the bed in the room was seriously uncomfortable, akin to sleeping on the ground. We ended up going home in tears in the middle of the night in order to be able to get some rest!

We returned in the morning and told the owner that we would stay for breakfast that day, but we wouldn't be returning that evening, and would call to resolve the issue the next week. Breakfast had been scheduled for 10am. We were seated in a dining room and made to WAIT FOR OVER AN HOUR for the food to be ready.

During that time we were in full view of the kitchen, and we saw a woman we hadn't seen before walk into the room in a pajama shirt, holding a cigarette, and without washing her hands she started working on our food. The proprietor began to argue with her in hushed tones, telling her she was sick and shouldn't be cooking. We were made to witness them fighting for at least 15 minutes. At one point he leaned in close to her and whispered loud enough for us to hear "It's my birthday, just do what I want for once! NO RESISTANCE! NO RESISTANCE!" deeply uncomfortable, we excused ourselves to wait outside.

When I called to resolve the issue, I was told that we had caused the problem by not being "B&B people," and that they did not owe us anything. I asked repeatedly for a refund for the unused night, detailing all the issues we had, and was verbally abused and yelled at by Ira. When I told him that I was receiving terrible service, and had while we were at the Inn as well, he agreed! And STILL REFUSED TO REFUND OUR MONEY! When I said I'd be posting our experience on review sites he offered us $100 in exchange for our silence! When I refused, he asked me to have my MOM CALL AND TALK TO HIM! I am almost 30 years old. Deeply offended, I hung up the phone. Everything about this was totally unprofessional and awful.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank bnj16

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Plain City
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed there last weekend (06/02/2012).. Fine accomodations, breakfast was more than we expected and the company of the owner was great. Will stay again..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Forest Hills, New York
Reviewed May 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Pinnacle View Inn on May 26. The inn is situated on top of a lovely hill overlooking the bucolic farms and meadows on the outskirts of Berea. We were both impressed with the attention to detail that the proprietor, Dr. Ira Bates, gave to every aspect of our stay. We especially enjoyed playing with the seven outdoor cats (not allowed indoors). These are the friendliest, most affectionate cats we had ever met, and they really made our stay as enjoyable as any stay we've ever had in a bed and breakfast. Food was outstanding, and the green accommodations were five-star quality. We would not hesitate to return.

Room Tip: All rooms are outstanding.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff G
Madison
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We spent the nights of 18 and 19 May 2012 with Ira Bates the consummate proprietor of this fascinating B&B. Our room at the Pinnacle exceeded our expectations and the bathroom was spectacular. Our bed was wonderfully comfortable. The Pinnacle is a work of love with virtually every feature designed by Ira personally. Breakfasts were delicious and as sophisticated as a guest chose. One of the most enjoyable aspects of our Pinnacle stay was conversation with Ira an accomplished raconteur and local historian. After returning from dinner each evening a different and intriguing dessert was prepared by Ira to top off our day. I learned in town that these evening desserts are a signature feature of the Pinnacle.

Room Tip: Any room is fine!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ronwmsbarnum
Illinois
Reviewed May 3, 2012

This was our first trip to a bed and breakfast and boy does Ira set the standards high for any other B&B I may ever stay at. From the first moment we walked through the door we were consumed in the peaceful environment that is Pinnacle View. From the 4 star breakfasts, outstanding evening desserts, clean,cozy rooms and the outstanding views; we could not have found someplace better than Pinnacle View to enjoy our two days in Berea. Since we had never been to Berea Ira was wonderful in pointing us in the right direction when we wanted to eat or visit some of the local potters, his hospitality is next to none. It was a much needed getaway and we could not have asked for anything else other than just a few more days of sitting on the front porch taking in the beauty that surrounded us. We definitely will be back to stay again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah M
Ann Arbor, MI
Reviewed April 26, 2012

On a return trip from Tennessee to Michigan, I spent one night at this airy, light-filled, spacious B&B. It is a delight, from the responsible approach to green building to the heavenly beds. The views are long and peaceful, the host, Ira, is welcoming and engaging, and the food is outstanding. There is ample space to relax both inside and out. Gardens, nearby woods, and bird feeders add to the ambiance. I was more than pleased, and I look forward to sharing this treasure with my husband on our next trip south.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Margo12
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed April 24, 2012

After making a 10+ hour drive north, we needed a place to relax and experience on our way home. We found The Pinnacle View Inn and we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms are pristine and had everything you could wish for. Ira (the owner) was the best host we've ever had. He was very knowledgeable and accommodating. He asks what your interests are and always had good recommendations. He also goes out of his way to ensure that you have the perfect breakfast. I loved the tour of the house. It was great to see how well he planned the house to limit the energy consumption.
Bottom Line: We would definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brian F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Berea
Boone Tavern Hotel
Hampton Inn Richmond
Hampton Inn Richmond
#1 of 14 in Richmond
BEST WESTERN Richmond Hotel

Been to Pinnacle View Inn? Share your experiences!