“Lovely but expensive & commercial”

Ranked #3 of 22 Shopping in Berea
More attraction details
Owner description: One of many craft stores in Berea, this one offers mainly student-made items, from quilts to wrought iron crafts.
Stony Creek, New York
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Lovely but expensive & commercial”
Reviewed March 30, 2012

I thought this would be all crafts made by students at the college, but it is an artisan gallery with a few student items thrown. Some beautiful things, but I wouldn't go out of my way. Prices are very expensive. We did pick up a nice bluegrass CD and some glass buttons ($10 for 4 buttons). The town looks very nice and may have been worth a look around but we headed over to Danville & Bardstown instead.

Address for GPS is 101 Chestnut St.

Visited March 2012

Murfreesboro, TN
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Artisan Objects”
Reviewed July 30, 2011

Furniture, jewelry, pottery, yarns, toys, candles, photography, paintings, weavings...you name a craft and they have it. High quality, beautiful ART that soothes the soul. It's in a beautiful log house near The Boone Tavern and downtown Berea. A lovely, quiet, college town filled with artists and their wares, students, professors, townsfolk and visitors. If you appreciate artisan crafts, you will love this place.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank 56Ginger
Maryville, Tennessee
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 242 helpful votes
“The staff saved me $127”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

Over the years, we have made many purchases at The Log House Craft Gallery and loved every one of them. This gallery has exquisite handcrafted furnishings, jewelry, pottery, glassware and almost anything imaginable. On this particular Thursday, we easily found two items we wished to purchase, but the problem was that all FOUR of the students who were working there were standing behind two counters (in a group facing each other) and ignoring the 10 customers who were shopping there.

I was particularly interested in some lovely earrings by a certain artist. I broke into their important conversation (about what they were having for lunch and how many hours they were scheduled to work) to inquire where I might find this particular artist. I was told "over in that case" with a finger pointing the way. The case was locked and not one of the FOUR students was remotely interested in helping me. We had already located another item we wished to purchase, but when the students continued their conversation, in oblivious disinterest of customers, we put the item on the shelf and left the gallery - thus saving us $127 that we wished we could have spent. Personally, I am astonished that they do not have a shop-lifting problem with such an indifferent staff.

The merchants in "Old Town" Berea (particularly The Craft House) are much more customer oriented and go out of their way to introduce you to new artists or unusual items. Perhaps we should have stopped at the Artisan Center off I-75. The service there is much more attentive than what we experienced at Log House Gallery.

It is really disappointing to me that because of the indifferent and unprofessional staff at The Log House Craft Gallery, that talented and gifted artists are being completely let down when their items are so unique and beautiful. The "customer service" staff should be ashamed of themselves.

Visited June 2011
3 Thank ninjaqueen
Ashland, KY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Log House Gallery excellent, but poorly advertised to the public.”
Reviewed September 1, 2010

Love the Log House Gallery and have been proud to contribute art work to the project for several years. Staff is amazing but sparse. Stock is superb, but could be rotated quicker. I feel sure that any shortfall in profits is due to poor advertising, which includes the existing, long lived, outdated, pitious web site... Internet has proven to be the best use of marketing funds, but Berea seems to have missed that course somewhere along the line... It's called the Three R's of Marketing on the web - " RE-THINK, REDESIGN, REAP THE BENEFITS". Come on people... get with it... Who is running your Berea College Art Marketing Program anyway?

3 Thank brenda3351