“Not as well kept as it used to be it seems”

King Creek Resort and Marina
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Benton
King Creek Resort and Marina
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Benton
Milledgeville, Illinois
“Not as well kept as it used to be it seems”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Pros:
- large tv, cable and dvd player (for late nights or rainy days)
-cabins with 2 full bathrooms
-covered boat slips
-affordable
-GREAT views of the lake in cabins 1-3
-great decks on these cabins, with privacy fences so you don't see your neighbors!
-the manager Earl was friendly
- campers were behind the cabins so you were not looking at campers your whole trips
-over all quiet place despite the amount of campers/people around

Cons:
- cabins need TLC, there was some mold in one of the bathrooms, trim is kind of popping off everywhere, there was a lightswitch box coming out of the wall the fridge in our cabin is wedged so tight in that you cant open it all the way and its breaking the trim (small things like this)
-paddle boat use (as advertised) was non existent, it was filled with water when we got there and looked like it hadn't been touched in weeks. I really didn't want to have to ask the manager to clean it out, it should just be done.
-rented a pontoon - DEPTH FINDER did not work, and we were not told that until it was packed and we were ready to leave, it was also filthy and hadn't been vacuumed, they apparently are not cleaned after every use. I was cleaning all the seats as there was liquids spilled all over everything, and the young man (owner or manager's son?) came on the boat to make sure there were enough life jackets and just let me clean everything. They should be cleaned after every use. We also had to put a deposit for the prop on the pontoon (which was already tore up) even though it didn't have a depth finder, and odds are if your renting a pontoon and a cabin you are not familiar with the lake and you NEED a depth finder.
- did not meet the owner once while we were there, the only person there was the manager, and the young man
- if you wanted gas for your boat you have to call the manager to come down, there is nobody staffed in the boat dock office, even though there is a sign on the door making it look like somebody is staffed (but this was never told to us, we had to ask all these questions)
- they had no tshirts stocked, no bait, no koozies, nothing that people enjoy buying from resorts, which was disappointing.

We enjoyed our stay at this resort, it by no means ruined our vacation, but I feel that it is wrongly advertising MARINA as there is no boat dock office/store, does not sell any sort of bait, and you have to phone someone to get gas. It advertises free use of paddle boats but they were never cleaned out to let people use. The manager was eager to please, the young man was not friendly or welcoming. You can just tell the place has not been kept up in some time. All that said, we LOVED the location and view from cabin 2, and aside from all these things, we may return to stay here, we just may rent pontoons from another place. King Creek just isn't as advertised on their website, needs some TLC. I know it is up for sale, and this could be some reasoning for that. These were little things (except the pontoon), but when you surf on their webpage you have higher expectation than what is actually offered at the resort.
I see all these great reviews from a year ago, and I hope this resort can return to what those reviews state.

Room Tip: cabins 1-3 have great decks and views
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sneff16
James B, Owner at King Creek Resort and Marina, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Earl manager of king creek and staff use all feedback as a tool from our guest's to improve service and conditions at king creek, or to proudly pat someone on the back who go's above and beyond in making someone's stay better. here's my response, COTTAGE'S 1-4 , are going to have interior painting done this off season, any issue's which may come up with this being done will be corrected this off season, and earl has walked this cottage to check on daily maintenance is being done currently with cleaning staff. PADDLE BOAT, is there as advertised, boat is parked outside so rain water does fill-up boat. everyone does need to call to use boat its our job to provide life jackets, and on minors make sure they properly fit and are worn at all times and also see who's providing adult supervision. PONTOON a new depth finder has been installed on boat, this is a issue which we and I have sometimes forgot to check on, this will be corrected along with us buying a portable one with operates on batteries, so no boat goes out without 1. PROPELLER, is not tore up, if we used a tore up propeller on our own boats that would do damage to our engine, a unbalanced propeller would do damage to our lower unit, causing costly repairs and as of today we have 11 spare propellers for our boats in shop. propeller was not new but very usable. OWNER, I work 2 jobs, 1 is in construction which I take over 17% of my salary goes into building king creek along with 50% of my life savings over a 5 year plan to rebuild king creek, as of now our 4th year we have 1 new 2 bedroom cottage , this offseason we have a new 4 bedroom 2 bath cottage which will be open in late march 2014, 40% of our 38 slip marina is 2 years old, a 1 year old 1100 gallon fuel tank and line to marina pump. 2 roof replaced on existing cottages,13 new rv sites, all bedding 1.5 years old king creek is being rebuild not unattended. MY 2ND job is answering king creek phone and emails 365 days a year, I talk to every customer booking a stay or asking for a price my # 270 493 0076. I also work the maintenance and campground every other weekend for 4 days . My son,earl, mike and cleaning staff has my trust, our good reviews this year and past prove that to me. GAS we are a small family run marina and campground with just 8 cottage's last time we got 700 gallons of gas we paid more than others sell it for cause of delivery cost's. We cannot afford a employee along with insurance cost's to sell or work at marina, we only have 31 covered slips and 8 open slips and just 8 cottage's, most of are guest's like no crowds, I tell all, theirs a huge marina just 5 blocks away on water with lots of attendant's, not worried about losing my customers, their a lot more $ to stay there. ALL BOAT RENTALS, STORE MERCHANTDISE,BAIT, COTTAGE CHECK-IN GAS SALES ARE threw general store on top of hill from marina. We added a sign this week for those who didn't know this on marina dock door, the phone number for earl or mike on staff has been on door. STORE we do have 5 colors in are koozies selection, worms in cooler, t-shirts sold out last weekend have reordered more LAST A UNNESSARY RUMOR KING CREEK IS NOT FOR SALE. since my family has owned king creek in july 27 2009 till today august 5th 2103, so I'll back my mouth up for the first 10 people who can find a real estate agent or broker who has a signed contract to sell king creek on or before august 5 2013 or before while my family has owned it , I'll give each person $250..00 for this prove RUMORS HURT PEOPLE AND FAMILYS. Our website show,s pictures of king creek , cottage and boats I try to hind nothing . AND we have good reviews from this year

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Thebes, IL
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My husband and I just came back from our second stay at King Creek Resort. We have stayed at both #5 and #6 cottages. We were pleased with our accommodations. It has easy access to the marina and water. The staff there are absolutely the best and willing to make your stay a pleasant one. Thank you Earl for taking caring of us as well as Mike and Jim Jr.! :) We DEFINITELY plan on being repeat customers for sure!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tonya D
thank you Tonya, We all appreciate you staying with us, I know earl thinks you 2 are really some special guest's. from our family to yours thanks big jim
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was our first time staying at King Creek resort and I have to say we were not disappointed at all. We stayed in cabin #9..The Fisherman's cabin....and it was very spacious and rustic. The cabin was very well equipped with everything you would need from home. The staff is very friendly and always willing to help you in any way. We needed our hall light fixed and within minutes the gentleman was there to replace the bulbs. They really make you feel welcome and almost like family. The lake is absolutely beautiful and the scenery is as well. The resort has it's own private beach area and also has a very nice play area for the kids, a fire pit area, and plenty of patio furniture for you to use. Our family is not big on fishing but everywhere you looked there were big fish jumping out of the water. We rented a pontoon for the day and had the best time. The prices of the cabin rentals as well as the boat rentals are very reasonable. We went to lake Cumberland last year and I can honestly say that King Creek Resort is now our favorite place to vacation. We will most certainly be coming back next year. Our only very minor complaints would be that we wished they had had pull raft rentals for our day on the pontoon and that the internet service be faster and more reliable. Other than that King Creek Resort is a wonderful place for your family to vacation. 2 thumbs up guys.....Well done!! Can't wait to see you again next summer!!

Room Tip: The entire resort is quiet and so peaceful. From what we could tell all of the cabins are very nice...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Cassie O
good news cassie as of july 27 2013 we got a new insurance carrier and starting for labor day 2013 weather permitting, we will have a tube to pull behind are pontoons. going into our 4 th year now,. thank you both for the very nice review, reading reviews like this helps make it all worth while thanks big jim
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a relaxing week here, bass fishing and enjoying the beautiful scenery at Kentucky Lake. We would recommend these cabins, especially to those who enjoy fishing. We will definitely come back again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank margielee63
James B, Owner at King Creek Resort and Marina, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for the very nice fishing revenue and mention of our beautiful lake. We do also cater to summer family fun, nice beach, sundecks lakefront, pontoons rentals and pull tubes. Also lets not forget our Hunting buddies in the fall. We are all looking forward to seeing you again. Thank you big jim
Louisville
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Everybody with the resort has been very professional and friendly. Anything you could need you can find. Rates are very reasonable on both rooms and rentals. My new favorite place on the lake. They have all you need just pack up the family and head out.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Donna R
James B, Owner at King Creek Resort and Marina, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
thank you donna for your review from my girls and wife who keep king creek picked-up'' from my son and guys who keep king creek moving forward, and to our cleaning staff who clean our cottages, We All thank you .and I would also like to thank you for a great name for our new boat , "Star of Kentucky Lake " we all liked that a lot, thanks again james b
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed May 25, 2013

We traveled to King Creek in May, 2013 with another couple and stayed in Cabin #2, The Lunker Buster. This was my first trip to the area and to King Creek. The trip was initiated by the wife of our friend, as the 2 guys had visited King Creek many times and many years before during fishing trips with their fellow co-workers. So, this was a couples trip (the guys went fishing every day and the gals shopped). Not knowing what to expect, I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of our cabin. It is not plush by any means, but quite adequate and convenient, and much more than I expected from a fishing cabin. The cabin has 3 bedrooms and 2 baths, so each couple had their own bathroom space. The living room had 2 sofas as well as an easy chair and big screen TV. The dining room table had 6 chairs and the kitchen was amazingly well-equipped (we even had wine glasses – yay!). The only dish/utensil we could not find was a slotted spoon for our fish fry. Everything worked well – the toaster/coffee maker/microwave/stove and oven. The tap water gets really hot really fast and the water even made good coffee (we had brought our own water, just in case, but didn’t need it). Our bed was extremely comfortable, and our friends reported the same. Whenever we needed extra towels, toilet paper, etc., they were provided promptly. The outside deck is the width of the back of the cabin and wraps around one corner of the cabin to the entrance door. There was a nice patio table/chairs on the deck, as well as a charcoal grill. One of the reasons our friends have always liked King Creek is because they have covered boat slips for their boat. The dock and slip area and fish cleaning area are all handy and in good working order. We also felt that the cabin was reasonably priced. Add to all of these positives the fact that the catfish were really biting and the guys caught many!
For the gals, I would like to report that there are many shopping venues in Murray, which is an approximate 30 minute drive from King Creek. We enjoyed shopping at the Peddler’s Mall and a fun thrift store in the same complex. In addition, another antique/shopping mall, Trends and Treasures is just down the street. Downtown has a few nice shops – we enjoyed The Bookmark (great variety of new and used books/gifts) and Wild Raspberry (gifts and many scrapbooking supplies). Benton, KY has a nice antique/shopping mall downtown as well, with many booths under one roof. Approximately 15 minutes south of Murray is Hazel, KY, which is right on the KY-TN border. Hazel is a quaint little town with many antique shops, whose owners are quite friendly and helpful. TM Creations has antiques as well as quality hand-made jewelry. A MUST is the Magnolia Tea Room in a small cottage on the main street. They have many varieties of tea and the menu items are amazing (the desserts as well). Our waiter was very attentive and patiently answered all of our many questions.
I would highly recommend King Creek!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jane R
James B, Owner at King Creek Resort and Marina, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
thanks for the kind review, were starting our 4th year now and we still trying harder than ever, I'll pass on a copy of your review to all, I know some smiles are coming thanks James B
Glendale, Arizona, United States
Reviewed June 16, 2012

First off we want to thank Jimmie for always being there to answer our questions and prompt service, to Jim Jr for his prompt repairs on the boat, and Jim Sr for a quick repair of the fish cleaning station, use of the golf cart and locating some laundry soap.

We stayed 7 days and loved every minute of it. We stayed in cabin 2 which is very close to the water. It was a bit big for the 2 of us but for the great price it was great having all the extra room. We liked the privacy wall between the cabins though the neighbors were pretty nice and we had long chats with them at night. We loved the fact that there was a huge deck on the cabin that wrapped from the back door to the front door. The boat we had the trolling motor died after 4 days, not sure wha the problem was but Jimmie gave us the bigger boat to use the remaining 3 days and did not charge us extra. He didn't have to do that but we sure appreciated.
While it is true there are repairs that are needed they are in the works but it did not affect the fun we had on our trip.
It would be nice if there was bait in the store. Another suggestion would be to have laundry supplies. Even something like the new laundry balls of soap or single use boxes. If you are flying in you don't want to buy a whole bottle if you are staying a whole week.
Thanks for a great week. Dave and Robin from Arizona

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David S
James B, Owner at King Creek Resort and Marina, responded to this review, June 18, 2012
thanks david for the kind review, just to let you know i ordered a soap machine (4 selections ) for the washing machine today just our second year were still learning about the some things, but we do try for friendly service, thanks the 3 jim's
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benton
Kentucky Dam Village State Park
Lake Barkley Lodge
Lake Barkley Lodge
#2 of 6 in Cadiz
Quality Inn and Suites Benton – Draffenville

Been to King Creek Resort and Marina? Share your experiences!