“Not too bad...”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bellevue
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I stayed at this Holiday Inn Express for one night recently. After reading the other reviews, I was quite hesitant to stay there, but it was fine. It is in a questionable part of town, but it's very convenient to downtown Cincinnati and I never felt unsafe going in or out of the hotel. The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Breakfast was very good and the lady keeping everything stocked was friendly and helpful. Since it's so convenient to downtown Cincinnati, I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
tyler45150, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. We are so pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel and enjoyed our complimentary breakfast. I was also very happy to hear our staff were friendly as we always strive to deliver world-class service to every guest and make each and every stay a perfect ten out of ten! I will certainly be sure to pass the comments onto my entire team and recognize them for doing such a great job. We know you have many area hotel choices and are grateful you selected our property.

Tyler Cunningham

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati

Reviewed July 21, 2013

I accidentally booked 2 hotel rooms for the same night near Cincinnati, OH. When I tried to cancel the Holiday Inn Express by calling 24 hours in advance, I could not get through to the hotel. I tried several times to call. I then called the 800 number to cancel the reservation and was told that the reservation was a prepaid special rate and that I could not cancel the reservation. However, I could call the hotel since it was sold out and they could refund my money or move the date for the reservation. When I called the hotel the next day, the manager was not coming in until noon. So the young lady took my phone number and said he would call as soon as he came in. By 2:30, there was not a return phone call. I called back again and he was in a meeting but was told he would call as soon as he was out of his meeting. At 3:08, Mark called and told me that he would not cancel the reservation and that whoever told me that the hotel would cancel or change the date was wrong. He had our payment and the reservation could not be cancelled. The room that we got was missing a table, a floral arrangement and supposedly a lamp. The mirror had prints all over it, the bathtub had a huge chip, the hair dryer in the bathroom had not been dusted in a very long time, there were pounding footsteps whenever the guest overhead moved in the room and when the door closed in the hallway, our wall would move. When we arrived home today, Mark had left 2 messages on our home phone. The first message was that they were charging us $250 for the stuff missing from the room (which I wouldn't take because I think the decor in their rooms is tacky) and the 2nd message was that they had made a mistake and would not be charging my card. Oh, and we hope you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again. Mark thinks that we would ever stay at that hotel for any reason?? We might cancel our Priority Club membership over this debacle.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear PlasticLady,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Club member and for leaving us a feedback.

I am sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience you have encountered with your reservation and the dissatisfaction our room conditions have caused you. As an club member, our staff ensure that you received the best customer care that you deserve and deeply regret that we have failed to deliver on this occasion.

Your support to the hotel is very important to us, as such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future updates. I hope we get the opportunity to show you some of our improvements and allow us to redeem your faith in our award winning service.

Dhan M

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for a Friday and Saturday night because of a music festival over in Cincinnati and upon check in was immediately let down because out preference was for 2 beds and of course we only received one king. Luckily they gave us a suite so there was a pull out couch, however it was a handicapped room and we will get to why that was bad later. Got in and pulled the sheets to find two very noticeable stains (even though in the picture the first one didn't really come up). One looked like urine and the dark one was definitely blood. Went down and the spoke to the manager to get it changed and they did. Figured that was the worst of what was to come until the middle of the night that first night. After being at a festival all day we were exhausted but we awoke on many occasions to the jolt of the fire alarm! Now this fire alarm wasn't a constant noise, just one or to loud beeps with lights flashing and it was done. Was our room on fire? Or haunted? Nope, it was this handicapped door button on the outside of the door. When it was pressed it must have been linked to the same sound as the fire alarm and I had never seen anything like it. Well someone must have knew that and proceeded to press the button throughout the entire weekend which made it imposable to get a good night's sleep. Told the manager about it upon checkout and basically got not response back from him, like it was no big deal. This was not an accommodating place and I realize it probably was fuller than usual, regardless we had two rotton night's sleep, with gross living conditions in a room that we shouldn't have had in the first place.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the handicapped room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Matt R,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. We appreciate you taking time to help us to improve our guests services.

I am truly sorry to hear that your experience was not what you expected. I understand your frustration and I humbly extend an apology for the room you had fell below your expectations. We deeply regret the inconvenience this has caused you.

Guest comfort and satisfaction are of the utmost concern to us and our hotel is committed to making every possible effort to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Rest assured that your comments will be looked into and will be used to target opportunity areas. We all hope that you will give us another chance and allow us to redeem your faith in our hotel.

Dhan M

Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel was in a great location for our visit to Cincinnati. The staff was friendly and our large double queen suite was very clean.

To address previous concerns:
1) We did not try out the pool, but plenty of people were swimming in it, so I don't know how cold it really was. It is the pool pictured on the website. What it looks like is that it used to be an outdoor pool that they enclosed.
2) Breakfast. Breakfast was plentiful EXCEPT they must have a maximum amount of breakfast meat that they are allowed to put out because every morning at 9:00 AM, the person in charge said there was no more. Please do not punish the people who do not need to wake up early. I'm probably paying the same amount of money as the person who woke up 6:30 for their bacon.
3) Noise. Maybe it was because we were on the 3rd floor, but this hotel was not as noisy as people claim. We were even right next to the elevator. Hotels aren't libraries, people.
4) Shuttle. This was especially helpful to travel to GABP for 4 consecutive days. $1 per person each way instead of parking for $5 at the levee or more in downtown Cincinnati.
5) Smell. It's hard to explain. The rooms didn't smell of smoke, but there was an odor and it was especially strong in the lobby.

Although I rated this as just an average stay, I would use this hotel again for the right price. There are more hotels in Covington, but it did not look like a nice area, plus most hotels there were charging for internet, parking, or both!

Room Tip: We were in 332. Next to the elevator, but really never heard anyone in any other rooms.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear jaimelh,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments online. I appreciate and wish to thank you for the kind words for the staff. It is also nice to know that you noticed the cleanliness of the room. On the other hand, please accept my sincere apologies for the overall dissatisfaction you have experienced during your stay. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again very soon.

Karen G.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We went down to Newport for a bachelorette party. The hotel staff looked a little scary, but thankfully they were nice. The rooms were large and the breakfast was hot. I think the most impressive thing was the pancake maker. I saw more people eating pancakes just because we all wanted to play with the machine.
I would stay here again, not because it was anything special but because it was clean and convenient. There is a shuttle that runs from the hotel to the levee until midnight which also made it very nice.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Myself and my two kids stayed at this hotel just for an overnight trip to the Cincinnati area. I chose the hotel based on location and also because it had an indoor pool for the kids to play in after our day of activities! The hotel itself is well maintained, the rooms were up to date and the beds/pillows were comfortable. The lady at the desk was very friendly and helpful during our check-in and check-out was a breeze however, as some others have noted in their reviews, the pool is freezing. My three year old had chattery teeth after a very short time swimming. The pool pictured on their website is not the hotel pool! The bathroom had hairs in several different places-- on the toilet seat, the back of the shower curtain, etc. My daughter also found a hair on her sheet, which was NOT hers! This sort of stuff grosses me out! I doubt I would stay at this hotel again and as my title stated, it is very overpriced!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear momof2girls08,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of our hotel. Your satisfaction is important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the overall dissatisfaction you experienced during your stay and regret you found the level of cleanliness of the room you received, less than satisfactory. Nevertheless, I want to assure you that the points you've raised in this review will be looked into.

Your feedback is very helpful to us as we establish our best path to providing successful guest satisfaction.

Joel B

Reviewed June 15, 2013

We booked the hotel in advance not knowing the location and the look/feel of the hotel and seemed impressed when we arrived. We had a busy day and didn't get back to the room until late. When we decided to go to bed, we pulled down the sheets, and there was an awful crusted, brown stain (2 of them actually). Looked almost like dried blood. We were grossed out and called down to the front desk asking for fresh sheets. He said he would be right up. An hour passed, no sheets. We called again. He then said "You could come down here and get them instead." We said that seemed like poor customer service since he already said he was on his way an hour ago. He said ok he'd bring them to us. We asked about how long because by this time it was around 1am and we were exhausted and wanted to sleep, he said 10 minutes. Around 2:15 we still had not gotten any sheets and decided just to check out. Asked to speak to the manager on duty, it was him. He was just sitting there and appeared to have no intention of bringing the sheets to us. We showed him the gross sheet that was on our bed. He said nothing. Not even an apology. He told his he was not authorized to give us any money back or any discount and to have a nice day (like that was possible after checking out at 2:30 AM and driving all the way back to our home a couple hours away). He gave us their GM's card to call today. We have tried calling and the staff literally beats around the bush so we do not speak to her. We finally left our phone number and she has yet to call us back. I STRONGLY recommend that you do not stay here. Horrible service and awful quality control. I am sure they would not want to sleep on that stuff or be treated that way so they should not treat their guests that way!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank mellowmallory
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear mellowmallory,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. I am sorry you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional details regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Krysllin G
IHGCare

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bellevue
Comfort Suites
#3 of 5 in Newport
Central Business District
The Westin Cincinnati
The Westin Cincinnati
#16 of 51 in Cincinnati

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Cincinnati? Share your experiences!