“Nice little spot for a different lunch and beer”
Review of The Elusive Cow

The Elusive Cow
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Bellevue
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I was surprised and pleased with this little lunch spot. The menu is unique, service friendly and beer selection large. I will return to try other specialties but the "special BLT" was really special.
If you are in the area it is worth the trip.

2  Thank Capn_C
There are newer reviews for The Elusive Cow

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Bellevue, Kentucky, is an old, blue-collar river town. Over the past few years, the main street has been gentrified/yuppiefied, with antique stores and bistros springing up. Like most of the other newer restaurants, The Elusive Cow is a bit on the pricy side. The decor is nice, with especially attractive lights. Our server was courteous and efficient (but more about that later). Unfortunately, we didn't think the food measured up. Though we weren't having alcoholic drinks, we noticed that the menu listed maybe 12 wines by the drink, but at least 50 beers. I thought those numbers should probably be reversed, since wine tends to keep well, and beer most assuredly does not! Bison and other meats are offered for the burgers, but I stuck with beef. The menu raves about its freshness, and I have no reason to believe otherwise. It appeared, however, to have been cooked too slowly. Instead of being brown on the outside, and juicy and a bit pink inside, the supposedly 'medium' burger was uniformly tan and crumbly throughout. My kale salad, which was pretty good, undoubtedly would have been better had it contained all the ingredients listed on the menu. If the only non-green component was indeed dates, they were too finely chopped and sparse to add any taste. I neither saw nor tasted any arugula. My wife said her chicken salad croissant was pretty good, with the croissant being better than the filling. Her fries, which I sampled, were fat, doughy, and below average. A final word about the service, which we thought was fine: the lone, hard-working server was keeping up well while there were only two occupied tables. But by the time we left, there were six or seven occupied tables, and if help didn't arrive soon, it would be hard to see how she could continue to provide good service.

1  Thank Bobandsuzanne
Reviewed April 21, 2014

I was staying in southern Indiana visiting my sister at college and we met my cousins from Lexingon, KY here. My cousin has a 4 year old and 21 month old. We were told to seat ourselves but weren't sure where because it would require moving table. A gentleman did help us by moving a table for us. There is no kids menu and the menu itself is a bit confusing, even our server said so!! While I appreciate freshly made/local food, I purposefully ordered an appetizer because the kids were hungry and a bit fussy. It came out at the same time as our food!! We're fairly certain the tacos my cousin ordered her kids had more toppings than she ordered. I think our server was new as she asked if we wanted dessert and then didn't know exactly what desserts were available or the cost. Overall I'd say it's a good restaurant if you are looking for a drink or decent meal and want to spend a bit of money, but don't bring the kids.

1  Thank sabinebaby
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Excellent margaritas, blackened fish dinner was so tasty with obviously fresh ingredients! Great beer selection on tap each time I have been here, which is 3 times now and will continue to come back.

2  Thank Bryan K