“Good value”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Bardstown
Wales
“Good value”
Reviewed April 19, 2011

My wife and I turned up without a reservation and the receptionist was very helpful in finding us a room at the rear away from the main road which passes the front of the motel. It really is an old-style motel where you can park right outside your room, which we found quite acceptable. I have twice had cause to write complaining about Best Western hotels in England, but there were no complaints about this one. While the room was not elaborate, it was clean and everything worked. Most important, it was quiet and we had a decent night's sleep. The continental breakfast met our needs and was just right for a European stomach unaccustomed to American breakfasts! Bardstown is a very attractive town, with plenty of places of interest in the town and surrounding area. We would certainly not hesitate to recommend the motel.

Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
WEST CHESTER, OHIO
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our weekend stay. Pleasantly surprised with the care and upkeep of this "seasoned" motel. My wife gets the "heebie-jeebies" at the very thought of staying in an older motel/hotel. Even if it is clean, she is creeped out by worn out and worn down facilities. The Best Western General Nelson was charming, immaculate, and obviously well loved by the owner/operators. The complimentary breakfast was well done and very satisfying. It's location puts it just a short walk from the center of the old town. This was a great place for a weekend getaway for couples or families.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Bluegrass
Reviewed November 3, 2010

The young lady who checked me in was friendly and just a tad too talkative...I was really tired & just wanted to go to my room and rest. But, she gave me information about the area & gave me a map & showed me places of interest I might want to visit. I live in Ky., and am familiar with Bardstown, but even after I told her I was just traveling from the eastern part of the state to the western part & just needed to crash for the night...she continued to map out the nearby distilleries, which I told her I had no intention of visiting this trip. Oh well, she was nice & doing what I'm sure she had been told to do!
My husband and I were traveling with our little Maltese & it is always a challenge to find a "good" hotel that will accept pets. I thought this motel (motor lodge type where you park outside the door) was a little on the pricey side for its' type, but it is in a tourist region, so I suppose that is why it is a little more expensive than comparable Best Westerns I've stayed in.
The room with 2 queen beds was small, but clean. For me, it always comes down to cleanliness...I can overlook alot as long as it is clean. The bed was fairly comfortable...the bathroom was small, but outside the bathroom is a small area with a shelf (coffee pot) and an additional mirror, so that helped. In this area was also the place to store suitcases & hang clothes...quite roomy.
The continental breakfast was very plentiful, with pastries, cereals, fruit, sausage, eggs, biscuits & gravy. There was also a toast & bagel area...don't remember if they had a waffle maker. Several juices to choose from. The breakfast was really quite good & for a family, it would be very economical.
This property was nicely landscaped around back with benches and gliders to sit in. Unfortunately, as I walked my dog in the general area of the outside seating, I saw a used condom on the ground. Hopefully, it was found and disposed of!
Would I stay again? I absolutely would. It fit our purposes for the one night stay & if one were planning to stay a couple of nights to take in "My Old Kentucky Home" or visit the distilleries, it would be adequate if you plan to be out and about during the day & just be at the motel to sleep. Due to the small size of the rooms, you may feel a little cramped if you were to spend too much time in it.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvaina
Reviewed October 13, 2010

We stayed one night at this motel in October 2010. The room and motel had several positive qualities
The motel was easy to find and had plenty of parking. Check-in and check-out were both perfect. The room was clean and without odors. The continental breakfast was outstanding as far as continental breakfasts go. Very large room and plenty of tables to accommodate all the guests. The usual fare, hot & cold beverages as well as cereals, with fresh fruits and fresh Belgium waffles, hard boiled eggs, but the biscuits and gravy were the best i have had in a long time. The staff did a great job in keeping the trays of food restocked and the area was kept very clean. The grounds were in perfect condition.
The rooms are somewhat dated, which is really standard in these older motels, but they were clean and well-maintained. and you could see the owners are working hard to keep it up. Besides, why would you want to tear up the carpeting and install new headboards so you could get better reviews, unless it is worn out and just not worth keeping up any longer? I especially liked parking right out side your door, which is something that you don't find much with these big new hotels. I dislike dragging suitcases thru a lobby into an elevator and down a long hallway. The pool area looked very nice although it was covered for the season. There was a refrigerator and microwave in the room. I booked this hotel for its convenient location to the Bourbon Trail.
We found Bardstown to be a great little place with plenty to do and see. Great restaurants and nice little shops. We would have stayed longer except that they were sold out for the next few days. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. This is an excellent motel for the price and staff was extremely helpful, If I can find something to complain about, the town circle on the main road is under construction and is a little slow. If that's all there is wrong, this is the place to stay in Bardstown.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed August 18, 2010

This motel is well situated for those wanting to explore Bardstown's attractive historical district. As other reviewers have noted, the rooms may show their age, but are clean and well-maintained, as are the surrounding grounds, and the modest rates include a nice breakfast. Just one complaint: our rear-facing room was free of traffic noise, but overlooked the pool; and so was subject to the noise of piped popular music and boisterous children until nearly 11:00 pm. (Fortunately, the loud ac just about managed to muffle it.)

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Florence, Kentucky
Reviewed July 15, 2010

The rooms haven't been updated for awhile, but the room was clean and the rate was very reasonable. Nice little pool out in the back. Didn't swim but many people were. Very nice continental breakfast spread in the morning. Good mix of hot and cold foods. Staff was friendly. The grounds are very well kept.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbus OH
Reviewed May 28, 2010

I love older motels where you can park right outside your room/door. This fit the bill. Right in downtown Bardstown. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Every morning there were at least two people outside cleaning, sweeping, watering plants, dusting statues...etc. Free continental breakfast was typical. Rooms show their age, but that was OK (dim lighting, old TV, etc). Bed was very comfortable. One in our party had a room with stale smoke smell that was unpleasant, but he didn't feel like changing rooms. Definitely prefer a place like this more than a modern hotel near the freeway.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
Hampton Inn Bardstown
BEST WESTERN Shepherdsville
BEST WESTERN Shepherdsville
#2 of 9 in Shepherdsville
Bourbon Manor Bed & Breakfast

Been to General Nelson Inn? Share your experiences!