“Condescending Staff...didn't feel welcome”

Heaven Hill Bourbon Heritage Center
Book In Advance
More Info
$129.00*
and up
Kentucky Bourbon Distilleries Tour from Louisville
Ranked #1 of 4 Tours in Bardstown
More attraction details
Owner description: Heaven Hill Distillery Bourbon Heritage Center is a 4-time Visitor Attraction of the Year winner. Enjoy the art of making whiskey on one of our tours, as our Bourbon hosts guide you through the history of Bourbon, introduce you to the Heaven Hill family, and lead you through an educational tasting of American Whiskey mashbills.
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I had high hopes for Heaven Hill. Due to time constraints, we did not visit in 2007 when we were last in town, so I was excited we had the chance this time. We drove 45 minutes from another attraction only to be disappointed immediately upon arrival. It looks great from the outside...nice building, good signage/directions, etc. As soon as we walked in, before we could even get our bearings, the woman at the podium inside the door demanded to know what we wanted to do. When I said we wanted to take a tour, she barked, "Well, which one?" I said we'd probably choose between the mini tour and another free one that takes 1.5 hours. I had barely finished the sentence when she told me no mini tours until 4 (from the site, I had been under the impression they were every half hour). My husband then asked what we could see on the other tour. She literally yelled at him! She told him we'd see the grounds and the storehouse like he was an idiot. I was horrified. We opted not to take a tour and instead just wanted to look around in the little museum and gift shop. Both were nice looking but very sterile and cold...unlike Maker's Mark where you feel like a welcome guest. We had to wear stickers just to be in the center, which I found odd. Overall it looked like it had promise but it was a big disappointment. I felt terrible for dragging our group of 6 to this place.

1  Thank JRRTraveler

Reviewed April 5, 2010

Even if you are not a fan of bourbon, you should definitely take this tour if you are ever in Kentucky. There is a whole museum dedicated to the art and history of Kentucky bourbon. The tour itself is FREE and very informative! I was very surprised to find out that they make so much more than just bourbon - they actually distill and bottle a very wide range of various spirits and liquors there on the premises, such as tequilas, vodkas, rum, and other types of whiskeys. The tour involves quite a bit of walking, so make sure that you wear comfortable shoes.
The tasting at the end was great! They teach you how to CORRECTLY sip and enjoy fine bourbon. Before I took the tour for the first time, I actually DID NOT like bourbon. But the tour and tasting taught me how to appreciate it for the fine craft that it is. Learning the history behind this great drink and then learning how to correctly sip it really gave me a sense of respect and appreciation for it.
So, definitely, take the time to go on the tour, even if you aren't a bourbon drinker. You will not be disappointed and may develop an appreciation for bourbon that you didn't have before!

1  Thank NurseJessRN
Reviewed July 24, 2009

This is a nice short free tour. The tour begins with a 12-minute film which is quite informative. That is followed by a short walking tour (about 15-20 minutes) which is very informative and offers a couple of photo ops. The tour is wrapped up by the taste testing of two bourbons, a 10-year old and an 18-year-old selection. Our tour guide, Joan, was very pleasant and did a great job! Not much to taste test in the gift shop. Lots of t-shirts and hats to buy tho! We have toured Jack Daniels in Lynchburg and like it a bit better...but read that many preferred Heaven Hill over Jim Beam in this part of the state.

Reviewed May 16, 2009

The Bourbon Heritage Center (Heaven Hill) is a beautiful testament to bourbon! The center has a museum and gift shop available for browsing while waiting for your tour to begin. Tours include a movie, walk through a warehouse where casks with bourbon are aged, explanation of all aspects of making bourbon, and a tasting of premium bourbon. The tasting room is very impressive and the bourbon is great too! The down sides: the distilling no longer happens on premises and the gift shop is a bit overpriced. The 18 year old Elijah Craig was $50 at the center (plus local sales tax), and I am able to get it for $38 at my local liquor store in Delaware (no sales tax). Even the 12 year Evan Williams was cheaper locally than at the Center. I would guess that they would also be cheaper in a liquor store not far from Heaven Hill - try calling Liquor Barn in Lexington or Louisville.

1  Thank irshmai
Reviewed April 8, 2009

Well worth the stop even though the bourbon is no longer distilled on site. Well kept, informative displays at the Center. Informative tour including a walk through a rack house where the bourbon is aged. Generous tasting of premium bourbons at the end... even on Sunday. The premium bourbons are overpriced at the Center and likely available for considerably less at a party store in Louisville.