“Not bad, but not great”
Review of Old Talbott Tavern

Old Talbott Tavern
Ranked #3 of 77 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Historic Restaurant, Bar and Inn continuously in operation since 1779. Located in the heart of Bourbon Country. Proudly serving locally inspired food and drink. Try the best top shelf bourbons with our bourbon sampler. Dine in unique surroundings where the famous and infamous visited during their historic setting ventures.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not bad, but not great”
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Never had a "Brown" so thought what the heck, a historical location would be a great place to try my first. This place has been in business for years so I thought I would get a good experience.

Service was slow, even though there were only 3 - 4 tables being serviced, our waitress was friendly, just don't know where they kept disappearing to.

The building itself was very cool, very authentic, but also very dark and a strange layout. There was an empty bar right next to our table, but the alcohol was in another section of the restaurant (Note to manager if you want to sell more alcohol make it visible) . It would have been nice to peruse some of the Bourbons while we waited for our food. Waitress brought us a Bourbon list, but it is not the same as checking out the real deal.

It was early in the afternoon so decided against treating ourselves to some Bourbon for lunch, but wish we would have to maybe make our food more enjoyable. I thought I would enjoy the Brown as I like everything that comes on the plate, but something about it just was not right. I cannot put my finger on it as this was my first (and so far my only) Brown. I ate it all so it was not terrible, but it was bland at best, I was looking for more flavor from everything that goes into it.

I did not have a great experience, but it was not all that bad, I am still up for given it another chance, but it wont be until I check out many of the other restaurants in the area.

• Visited February 2014

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Historical site and good food in a charming town”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had eaten here once before a few years ago, in the bar for appetizers, and returned this trip for lunch. Restaurant is a bit of the wild west, bar is one of the many bourbon bars in the region. Food was very good and service was attentive enough for a return trip next time we are in bourbon country.

Woodbridge VA
“meh... overrated .. old feeling”
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The building and staff were very nice. I found the food very..... underseasoned and bland. The exception was the Burgos (which was REALLY good). I think the place caters to an older crowd and the tastes reflect that.

For a historical point of view, it was nice.. For a good meal.. ehh.. the bourbon flight selection was a bit lacking (mostly common fair stuff).

• Visited May 2014
Beattyville
“Not worth the effort”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

Staff at this restaurant are not prepared for busy nights so I would avoid it on weekends. We had 8:00 reservations on a Saturday night and were served our food at 9:30. By that time a local musician was setting up to play in the dining room and was very inconsiderate of those waiting to finish or be served their dinners. Management did not intervene in his rudeness, despite being made aware of it. I would also be wary of staying at their Inn on the weekends unless you like loud music serenading you. In short the food is definitely not worth the effort, the building is very historic but sadly being turned into a night club with the type of entertainment that might attract undesirables as there were several bouncers visible with "Security" on their shirts whatever that might mean?

of long waits for service

1 Thank kyviewpoint
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Nice and Quiet Supper”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had not been to this place in years (since before the fire). Tried it for supper during a Bourbon Trail trek and found it comfortable. The food was pretty good and reasonably-priced. I'm not a big fan of burgoo, but my wife never had it so I thought we should try it. It was good. The waiter said it comes out different every time. I guess I caught it on a good night. The burger was good, too. Nice and lean and actually cooked to order, not overdone like at most places The fries were hot and crisp. The place was quite and it made for a nice relaxing supper after a hectic day. We did not stay there, so i cannot comment on the hotel.