“Enjoyed”
Review of Old Talbott Tavern

Old Talbott Tavern
Ranked #3 of 77 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Large groups, Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Historic Restaurant, Bar and Inn continuously in operation since 1779. Located in the heart of Bourbon Country. Proudly serving locally inspired food and drink. Try the best top shelf bourbons with our bourbon sampler. Dine in unique surroundings where the famous and infamous visited during their historic setting ventures.
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Enjoyed”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stopped for lunch and had to try the Old Kentucky Hot Brown and it was delicious. We were in a bit of a hurry and the service was excellent -- in and out in 40 mins.

Winter Haven, Florida
“Historic venue with great food.”
Reviewed September 26, 2013

We were in Bardstown for the Kentucky Bourbon Festival and happened to find a parking place right in front of the Tavern. We oriented ourselves with downtown, visted the Welcome Center and had time for a quick lunch before a ticketed event. The Kentucky Club was an awesome mix of ham, turkey, cheddar and Swiss cheeses, bacon, fried green tomato and mayo. We mentioned to our server we would be sharing and she had the kitchen divide the order onto two plates. Homemade chips were a great alternative to fries!!! LARGE selection of bourbons by the pour at very reasonable prices. After a busy afternoon and a couple of hours of sipping bourbon in the Spirit Tent we went back to Old Talbott Tavern for dinner. I only had the wedge salad, but my husband enjoyed the Kentucky Burgoo and stated the Country Ham was how ham should be!! Mashed potatoes and gravy rounded out the meal. Got to taste another couple of bourbons as well!
The front room where we had lunch was the nicer room but it was being set up for a band in the evening. VERY disappointed the lunch server told us the music would not begin until 9pm because when we arrived around 7:30pm a very professional sounding female singer was performing.

Verona
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“So nice we ate there twice”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Our group really enjoyed the Old Talbott Tavern. We enjoyed it so much we returned for a second meal the next night. I had the chicken-fried steak and it was fork tender and crunchy. My favorite was the white bean and ham soup served with chopped onions. It was incredible. The Burgoo was very nice and meaty.

Atlanta, Georgia
“When you walk in, look at the carpet and imagine what the kitchen is like.”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Dirty restaurant - look at the carpeting when you walk in and imagine what the kitchen looks like. Great historic building - but nothing more. Disappointing.

• Visited September 2013
“Maybe It Was an Off Night”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

During the Kentucky Bourbon Festival, an event which attracts thousands of people to this charming central Kentucky town, I visited the Old Talbott Tavern. The place was crowded and I had to wait 20 minutes or so to get a table for two. I order the vegetable plate, which was a combination of squash, green peppers, onions, mushrooms, and a few others. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary. My wife had a bowl of vegetable soup which she couldn't finish -- not because it was too much but it didn't taste that well. She thought it had sort of a bite to it -- perhaps a bit spicey. The cornbread was good, however. We had a very attentive waitress. As I mentioned in the title, perhaps it was an off night to be there. I will say I love the decor and surroundings of this rustic structure. Will I visit again? Probably. I generally get restaurants a second chance unless the food and/or service is horrendous.