“Utilize the History”

Ranked #4 of 79 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Historic Restaurant, Bar and Inn continuously in operation since 1779. Located in the heart of Bourbon Country. Proudly serving locally inspired food and drink. Try the best top shelf bourbons with our bourbon sampler. Dine in unique surroundings where the famous and infamous visited during their historic setting ventures.
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We enjoyed our recent lunch at the Tavern. I'm glad that actual turkey was used in the Hot Brown which both my wife and I ordered and enjoyed. One of our friends had the burgoo and the other the pot roast with no complaints. With all the history of the tavern, it seems like they don't utilize it enough. I would like to see the sterile, plastic menus replaced with something more vintage like. They could include a short history with them. The servers could also be schooled in the significance of the tavern and its history. It just seems a waste to have something historic and not capitalize on it.

There are newer reviews for Old Talbott Tavern

Reviewed January 15, 2012

I read the reviews on tripadvisor before visiting the Tavern and decided that they were so mixed that I had to give it a shot during our visit to Bardstown to decide for myself. I must say that the food is simply average. The restaurant itself had a cool feel being in the historic watering hole. Also, the historical displays upstairs are pathetic. It seems as if the proprietor is coasting off of the Tavern's namesake and historical reputation. This could be sooooo much better and it's quite sad that quality has been sacrificed.

2  Thank MarkDavidHorn
Reviewed January 11, 2012

My wife and I decided to spend the day in Bardstown, Ky and to our delight we stopped into the Old Talbott Tavern located near the heart of the city.

From the moment you lay your eyes on the tavern you know that it must contain some interesting stories. Once you step through the front door it is like you are transported back into the late 1700’s. The staff is very personable and friendly, all possessing great smiles and a can do attitude.

The thick Flemish Bond stone walls, the deep window casings, heavy ceiling timbers and built-in cupboards strongly remind one of the Warwickshire Inn in England. The tavern was built in 1779 and has been called the oldest western stagecoach stop in the U.S.

The tavern has a ghost history, Bourbon Trail history, historic person visitation history (General George Patton, Jesse James, Daniel Boone, Abe Lincoln, King Louis Philipp, and others.

We ate at the restaurant and the food was outstanding (the Hot Brown). Service was prompt and the server quick and professional.

The location is walking distance to downtown where there are a lot of nice shops. A great place to spend the afternoon.

Reviewed November 28, 2011

The inn and restaurant are among the oldest buildings in Bardstown. T;he planked floors, open beam ceilings and old, wavy window panes take you back in time. Given the weather when we visited, a working fireplace would have been welcome. We had lunch on a very slow Sunday in late November. My wife ordered the BLT with fried green tomatoes. I had the pot roast. The BLT had generous amounts of bacon, very little tomato, and very little "sauce." My pot roast, as originally served, had many potatoes masquerading as meat My complaint did bring a generous serving of meat to interpolate into the existing sauce, but the dish had little flavor. Even though we were the only diners, service while friendly was not attentive. On any future visit we probably will not return here.

Reviewed November 22, 2011

Loved the fried chicken - juicy and not dried out. Wish I would have saved room for dessert.