“An Annual Event”

The Stephen Foster Story
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Stephen Foster Story is a broadway-style show about the life of America's first composer, Stephen Collins Foster. The performance takes place in My Old Kentucky Home State Park at the J. Dan Talbot Amphitheatre. The grounds on which the theatre lies once belonged to the Rowan family, who were cousins of Stephen Foster, and is home to Federal Hill, the plantation house that inspired the state song. Some of Foster's biggest hits such as Oh Susannah, Camptown Races, Suwannee River, & My Old Kentucky Home help to tell the tale of his struggle to become the first true composer this country knows, and also to find love among the hardships.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

This year, I took my two teenage Granddaughters, along with their 8 year old sister. Josie has been going ever since she was 3 years old. This time, she wanted her sissy's to experience the musical. We saw, "Shrek". I was surprised to see that it held the attention of older kids and adults. It rained earlier in the evening, and a few flashes of lightning during the performance. After the musical, Josie said, "Thank You Mother Nature for not letting it rain". The teenagers want to come back next year and see the "Stephen Foster Musical". All of my younger Grandkids are waiting to see what Musical will be playing next year.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Enjoyed this outdoor drama and the music of Stephen Foster was well presented. Must be difficult for the cast when you look out and see such a sparse crowd. I would say that is a downer when you consider the quality of the show. Usher said excitedly that they had 300 recently...but in a venue like this, on the night we were there only about 100 were there. So, the laughs and fun of interacting with others was missing...credit the actors with doing their best to overcome this and I hope the show continues for many years. Last time here, the place was packed (1984). Bought the CD and enjoyed the show despite it all.

3  Thank Charlie U
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The setting for this theater is spectacular--outside in the middle of huge trees surrounding the stage and audience. Basically, the musical follows the life of Stephen Foster, with lots and lots of his music. There is enough action to hold the interest of older children, and I think that most adults will find it enjoyable.

1  Thank Travelinglefty
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a very nice theater, and a very well done show. We took the behind stage show before the performance and it was very eye opening. There is a lot packed behind those walls. The actors were getting ready for the show, but they were all very friendly and open. My 12 year old granddaughter loved the show. The tour and meeting some of the actors made it even better for her. It was a highlight of our trip. The only regret, the cast did not come out to sign her program after the performance and she didn't have the program while she was on the tour. We were told they sometimes they do come out. That night they were all getting ready to do a dress rehearsal for "Shrek" which was opening the next night. It was already very late by the time our performance was over. I can't imagine how long they must have had to stay after we left.

2  Thank BABE1948
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We enjoyed this show on the 4th of July. Unfortunately it was a wet day so it could not be held outdoors in My Old Kentucky Home State Park, but the high school auditorium was a good option. We were very impressed by the quality of the singing of the massed cast, all of whom wore magnificent costumes and carried themselves beautifully.