“Satisfying lunch in historic setting”
Review of Kurtz Restaurant

Kurtz Restaurant
Ranked #6 of 77 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
West Lafayette
“Satisfying lunch in historic setting”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

A friend and two locals all recommended Kurtz for lunch. It’s in a historic stone building on the south side of town, near My Old Kentucky Home. We were seated in the back in a darker, crowded area and each ordered a sandwich and another item from the lunch menu ($15). The cream of broccoli soup was very thick, rich. The sandwiches were served with kettle chips and dill pickle slices and were on a fresh, whole wheat bread. Nothing special about the bread or sandwiches, but they were tasty. The chocolate meringue pie (real meringue) was a good way to end a satisfying meal. We noticed there’s a brighter, cheerier dining area at the front of the restaurant. You might request the area that suits your mood.

• Visited September 2013

Louisville, Kentucky
“Butter(bean) me up”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Kurtz’s Restaurant in Bardstown, Ky., is a fine spot for lunch. The establishment sits across the road from Federal Hill, My Old Kentucky Home, and has some history behind it. The food is traditional; sandwiches are served on slices of bread, not brioche, e.g.; and the portions are reasonable. You will have a light lunch unless you pile on dessert (and you should). The butterbean soup is a standard as is the plethora of pies. There are lunch specials (three items – soup, sandwich, pie, e.g. – for about $10) and a full menu, including the Hot Brown, of Louisville fame. Anything with country ham in it, on it or near it will be satisfying. If at all possible sit in the back room, the stone room. The front dining room is, unfortunately, lacking in atmosphere. We had supper there some years ago, and it was fine too. Wonderful service. Bardstown offers a ton of pioneer history (including a model of what many consider the first steamboat, built by John Fitch, who lived in Bardstown). See Federal Hill – it can’t be missed – but also try to see Wickland , “the home of three governors.” Just stroll the streets; there’s history everywhere.

• Visited August 2013
hilton head
“REALLY GOOD FOOD”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Leslie our waitress was a hoot!!! Just sayin, was said a lot :))) We had friends with us who had never had a hot-brown the terrific KY sandwich, YUMMMMMY!!! With a gelatin salad that reminds you of your grandmothers cooking or church socials. The fish sandwich, not catfish, but cod was delicious, service was terrific, setting is great

Visited August 2013
“Yummy! Great Southern Hospitality!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I was on my way to Bardstown when I saw the sign for Kurtz Restaurant. I went inside to get a menu and see what they had, as soon as I came inside I knew I wanted to eat here. Friendly service, excellent southern food in every way, and very fair prices, (9.99 for a hot brown), makes this a perfect lunch stop. The cornbread was sweet and obviously homemade, I ordered the "Angler" platter, which included two pieces of delicious cod, with plenty of tartar sauce on the side. Most meals include their homemade Cole slaw, which I really enjoyed. I ordered chocolate meringue pie for dessert, and it came HOT from the oven. Located in a historic stone home, the atmosphere was great and I can see why they have been in business since 1937.

• Visited August 2013
Louisville
“Special Occasions”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I've lived here for 10 years and we always use Kurtz to celebrate our special occasions - they have never let us down! My favorite lately is the chicken livers - which surprised me. I'm a huge fan of their hamburgers, fried chicken and soups. But the livers are now my favorite. And for dessert you must have a piece of their incredible pies or the biscuit pudding - fantastic!
Thank you Kurtz and staff!

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Laurie H

Been to Kurtz Restaurant? Share your experiences!