“The Best Fried Chicken in Town”
Review of Kurtz Restaurant

Kurtz Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 80 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2011

We asked several 'locals' when we came to town to direct us to where we could get the best fried chicken. Kurtz was the answer we heard most frequently. I can't say we tried all the options, but Kurtz had the best fried chicken of all. If you like chicken livers, they were very good as well. Country ham, turkey and great home made desserts were also highlights here. It was a friendly family atmosphere. I'd highly recommend it.

1  Thank KPCZP

Reviewed June 13, 2011

We visited Kurtz Restaurant on a recent weekend in the area. If you are looking for country cooking, then this fits the bill. Things like fried cornbread patties, and cooked-to-death green beans certainly feel like "country" cooking, but they were mostly tasteless. (they'd never get away with mushy greenbeans like that in California, for instance)

My husband loved the prime rib. I enjoyed the fried chicken. The mashed potatoes and gravy were excellent! The small spinach salad I ordered came with a delicious dressing.

Coconut pie and a berry cobbler for dessert were both great.

By far, the best thing about the place was the staff. Host, waitress, and the proprietress all were genuinely friendly and welcoming. They made up for some of the food items that were lackluster. I would recommend this restaurant with the caveat of knowing what to expect from country style food items.

Reviewed June 5, 2011

Arrived at 6pm on a Saturday evening. Got seated immediately. Very friendly personnel. Ordered the Prime Rib special for $18. Excellent! Melt in your mouth with wonderful flavor. Served with salad and side of green beans and beets. Also served signature cornbread pan muffins. These little guys were awesome. They were a little stingy with them however. They did give us more when ask for though. Was not however the best place for a quiet romantic dinner. Every word you said I think everyone in our room would hear. With dinner and a glass of wine each we spent about $60 not including tip.

Reviewed June 1, 2011

We are sad to live so far from this restaurant.....we would be a frequent customer. We will have to be satisfied with the vacation visit up from Nashville from time to time for a great meal.

Reviewed May 10, 2011

My wife and I went here for dinner. We were there early and were seated quickly. I ordered the fried chicken and she just had a salad and chicken tenders appetizer. My chicken was very good and came with mashed potatos and beets as sides. We turned down the beets. They give you a basket that they call cornbread but I call spoon bread. It was delicious, with a sweet flavor. I considered this my dessert.

overall good, down-home cooking at a reasonable price.