“Nicer Museum”

Old Bardstown Village Civil War Museum
Ranked #4 of 32 things to do in Bardstown
Reviewed May 16, 2014

We had a little extra time before heading out of town Sunday morning. We found the museum in a guide at the hotel. The people at the museum were friendly and helpful. There was a lot to see. More museums in the area, too bad we did not have the extra time this trip.

1  Thank Kindra312

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Valuable and unique artifacts, maps at every display, detailed explanations, huge collections, memorable stories.

2  Thank Beverly F
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This was a pleasant tour and look at the local history in fine detail. Learning the history through their presentation of displays is a good lesson.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Being on a road trip, I only had time to see and visit the Civil War Museum of this little complex. So this is my take on that portion.

Bardstown Civil War Museum is probably one of the better private museums on the Civil War I have seen. And I have seen quite a lot. I was quite amazed by the quality as well as the quantity of items on display. And how professionally they were display, with good glass, good lighting and informative notation next to each item. The collection was indepth and highly interesting. I found my visit here to be quite informative and educational. One of these hidden gems!! This museum can put many of the bigger ones to shame. Although the museum centered around the western campaigns of the Civil War, there were quite a few stuff from the eastern theater as well as riverine campaigns and sea. They also got a good collection of Civil War prints as well, a donation I am told by a collector. It does cost a pretty penny just for the museum but I thought it was well worth the price.

2  Thank SirHoot
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We always add an educational element to every trip we take, and this was a terrific addition to our most recent vacation... Our family of 4 (2 adults, 1 teenager, 1 child) paid $30 to visit 4 museums (The Civil War Museum, Wildlife Natural History Museum, Museum of MidAmerica, and The Women of the Civil War Museum), and the old village... One of the museums used to be an opera house, and the building attached to it was the home of the family who owned Talbott Tavern!...The people who operate the museums are very informative...The tickets are good for 2 days, but we started as soon as they opened and managed to fit in everything at a leisurely pace...The kids enjoyed it and we had a great time.

3  Thank Kat H