“Fabulous! Delicious and Elegant Dining!”
Review of Circa Restaurant - CLOSED

Circa Restaurant
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 9, 2013

The Circa is a truly fine dining restaurant in Bardstown run by the owners Bill and Donna Ellis. Located in an old home that has been elegantly redone, all of the paintings/artwork were done by Donna Ellis. The dining room is warm and upscale with comfy, cushioned high-back chairs and large tables with crisp tablecloths. We had a fabulous dinner! The owners are actually the chef and the hostess/waitress assuring each guest have a wonderful dining experience. We each had the Seafood Board which had a delicious and beautifully presented variety of seafoods (with a bourbon touch, too.) The chocolate Torte was delicious! The Circa can easily compete with the four and even five star restaurants. They are also open for lunch. We recommend it for a romantic or special occasion restaurant for dinner or lunch.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

Excellent menu, plating and taste! Wonderful restaurant right in the middle of Bardstown. Might seem spending for some, but not if you're used to eating in large cities. The quality was excellent. The fried green tomatoes with their grown right outside basil is wonderful! chicken & waffles were good, but nowhere near the quality of the bourbon boneless shortribs and the rabbit entrees! The shortribs just melted in your mouth with a bourbon sauce that i wanted to pick the plate up and lick! The bourbon chocolate torte for dessert is to be shared....realllllllly rich, but the perfect finale to a great dinner. Wine list is limited, but bourbon list is excellent....what else would you expect in bourbon country!!

Reviewed September 18, 2013

We love it here. The food is always delicious, and the service is great (not too much/not too little). We had a caprese/fried green tomato appetizer that was to die for. My dad said that his pork chop was the best he's ever had. That's saying something, at age 65! I look forward to our next visit.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Love, love, love this place! My husband and I found Circa on Tripadvisor and all the great reviews are right on. The ambiance, presentation and selection was spectacular. My husband and I ordered a few appetizers and an entree to share. The lamb meatballs were by far the stand-out dish, but everything we ordered was just delicious. Staying in a small town like Bardstown we didn't expect much more than a good pizza joint...we never imagined we would find such a gem.

1  Thank Tuto
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went to Circa to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. From the time I made the reservation to the moment we left the restaurant, their entire attitude was, “Don’t let the door kick you on the way out.”

The hostess/server is the co-owner and wife of the chef. She should never be allowed in the dining room. She grudgingly took my reservation - I assume because she was so busy in the dining room. I was mentioning it was our Anniversary when she hung up the phone.

When we arrived, she sat us at a table without a smile or acknowledgement that this might be an important day for us. Under two minutes later she returned wanting to take our entire order. We hadn’t even looked at the menu yet.

My husband asked if he could taste two wines before ordering a bottle. Both of these wines could be ordered by the glass. She responded that she wasn’t opening a bottle for a taste if it wasn’t already open. Okay… but then she never came back to tell us they weren’t open, and we had to practically beg to get a bottle to the table. Unfortunately, it wasn’t very good.

Finally, at the end of the evening, I told her that when I made the reservation I mentioned it was our anniversary and don’t they do anything for special occasions? We save the very upscale restaurants for Anniversary dinners. I wasn’t actually asking for a free dessert or anything, I really just wanted a smile and acknowledgement. “I hear you are celebrating an Anniversary. Congratulations. Welcome to Circa,” would have done the trick. However, her response was, “We don’t do anything for special occasions. We have them all the time.” At which point she walked away never to be seen again.

I really wanted to apologize for bothering her and taking up space in her restaurant.

I’m giving Circa a 2 because the food was outstanding.

12  Thank OBW-DTW