“Post Bourbon Trail Dinner”

The Rickhouse Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 80 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An elegant and unique restaurant located in the heart of historic Bardstown, Ky. We pride ourselves on our classic dishes with unique twists. We have an ever growing and expansive Bourbon collection, sold individually as well as in flights. We also have an extensive wine list, with something for everyone. For a memorable, and delectable meal and experience, please join us.
Reviewed July 21, 2013

After sampling a few sips at the distillery, my husband and I were ready for a cocktail and tasty food. We were looking for more than just fried bar food, and the Rickhouse did not disappoint! We started by ordering a flight of tasting bourbons from their extensive offerings (it's like bringing all of the bourbon trail under one roof) and the shrimp and grits appetizer. The dish lacked flavor, but was unique for us to try. We each ordered a strip steak; mine boneless and my husband's bone in. He had the grilled ceasar salad (very good!) and 11 cheese Mac n cheese. I chose bourbon sauced Brussel sprouts with bacon, cranberries and apple and Mac n cheese. Our steaks were cooked as ordered and had good flavor. We were stuffed already, but ordered the orange and dark chocolate bread pudding with a bourbon sauce for dessert. Overall, we had an excellent, tasty meal with great service. Oh, we also appreciated the relaxed dress code, as we had been out in the humid heat and didn't have a change of clothes with us! Very accommodating with great meal choices. Highly recommend you try this place!

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Eleven Cheese Macaroni!? Of course it's great! The shrimp and grits are pretty good too but i wanted more.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We went for lunch here based on reviews from Trip Advisor, and the experience was amazing! We arrived without a reservation, and they took us right away, which was great. We had no trouble finding the restaurant, as we were already spending the morning antiquing in Bardstown. Our server's name was Sarah. She was attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and the bourbon "flights". Although we were interested in trying a flight, we decided not to, but asked Sarah about the different bourbons. She suggested Wild Turkey Honey - very smooth; great choice. We ordered the pretzel sticks - very good except too much salt. My husband ordered the meatloaf sandwich and I ordered the club. Both were very good, but the servings were huge. We each had a glass of wine: Spellbound Petite Sirah and Fat B*d Chardonnay. Excellent selections with our meal. We would strongly recommend this restaurant. Fabulous food, service, and the atmosphere is out of this world!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

We each had a different meal and all said they were very enjoyable. You can get wine or a mixed drink. Be prepared for a wait depending on the time you visit.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have no idea how the Rickhouse is ranked number 5 in Bardstown, except that it is rather difficult to find. We were touring the whiskey museum when the woman there told us that it was literally underneath us. If you use a GPS to get to Xavier Dr., then you should be fine. You actually enter the restaurant from below the building through the courtyard.

We had a reservation, and they placed us at a private corner booth. The seating made of barrel staves was adorable and surprisingly comfortable. I wanted to start with a glass of wine, but my husband definitely wanted bourbon. The restaurant's bourbon list is quite impressive. Of course they were out of particular bourbons like the Van Winkle's, but who isn't? My husband knows a lot about bourbon availability, so he anticipated what they might have and what they might be out of. He was pleasantly surprised that they had some bourbons that he didn't expect them to have. Our server was pretty sure that they had all of the bourbons he ordered for his first flight, but they were actually out of one. She went so far as to take that flight back and get him another one! I have never seen a server go out of her way like this -- most just make you drink what they bring. Additionally, the prices on the flights are astounding -- lower than anywhere in Bardstown or probably anywhere in Kentucky.

For dinner, we shared a salad and enjoyed nice, hot bread. I ordered chicken and my husband ordered steak, but we both had the brussel sprouts and au gratin potatoes. Wow! Those were two of the best side dishes we have ever had. Both were creative recipes that made for a memorable meal. For dessert, we shared the bourbon bread pudding.

Throughout the whole meal, our server checked on us regularly and the owner even came out to say hello when he discovered that my husband writes a bourbon blog. (He's still planning to write a very positive review on his blog, but I wanted to review the restaurant on Trip Advisor.) If there's any way that we can make it to Bardstown for the Bourbon Festival in September, you can bet we'll book reservations at the Rickhouse!