“*Review for weekend - Large Group”

The Rickhouse Restaurant & Lounge
Ranked #1 of 80 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: An elegant and unique restaurant located in the heart of historic Bardstown, Ky. We pride ourselves on our classic dishes with unique twists. We have an ever growing and expansive Bourbon collection, sold individually as well as in flights. We also have an extensive wine list, with something for everyone. For a memorable, and delectable meal and experience, please join us.
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is my second review of this restaurant, please see my other for my experience during the week.

I took a large group of family members (12 people) in February of '13. As we pulled into the parking lot and saw the volume of cars I told my wife I was more than a bit alarmed. In our past experiences during the week (slow nights) the staff seemed to struggle with the volume even then.

For the sake of brevity I have listed the low points below. Overall the food was OK but nowhere nearly as good as during the week.

Our salads went to table next to us
We got their wine
Drinks were terribly slow and required multiple requests
Some entrees were served after others were finished eating
Some sides only came after entrees were eaten
I had to ask table next to us to mind their language / volume as we had children with us

I truly felt sorry for the waitress as she was overworked, had no managerial support and many of the above errors were coming from the kitchen or the expeditors.

She was kind, humble and VERY apologetic.

I have tried on several occasions to speak with the ownership about recurring large groups and other things have have never received the first response.

This restaurant has so many things working for it but it is starving for seasoned, top notch management with ownership on site to ensure quality service and customer satisfaction.

I will go back if for no other reason to see if things have improved. I would still recommend it during the week but not for a large group or on a weekend.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Very well-decorated with a Bourbon theme. (Bardstown is the Bourbon Capital of the World). Service attentive. Food well presented and very good.

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

Both service and meal were above and beyond. (Thank you, Sarah N.!) Especially enjoyed the Cobb salad, and meatloaf sandwich. We'll make a point of driving back from Louisville, thank you!

Reviewed March 31, 2013

It's a nicely decorated, basement restaurant with a bourbon theme. Many Makers Mark bottles for decoration. It's a tad hard to find...in the first floor of an old multi-story school...Spalding Hall and now Bourbon Museum. The place brought back memories of old schools and banging pipes in the heating system.

Not knowing about the restaurant my family (all adults) saw the sign at the restaurant done in a way that implies a "high end," "high price" experience. We looked into the windows and saw standing cloth napkins which again implied a high end experience. We walked in without reservations, and were asked twice if we had reservations.

What we found was a very nice restaurant with a smaller menu. There's a dining area and a bar area (with occasional Karaoke).

The service was good but hesitant from someone who appeared to be inexperienced.

The food was good. Bruschetta with loads of melted cheese. A great Turkey and Chicken "sandwich" with an 11-cheese sauce, then topped with melted cheese. (Cheese gone wild.) Great Chicken crepes with cheese sauce. Good steak Linguine was that could've used more seasoning. Ho hum ravioli. Brussel spout side dish wasn't worthy to finish. Wine was priced exceptionally well.

It was a pleasant experience...worthy of a repeat.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

I should have read more of the reviews before we went. We knew that they were on the first floor of Spalding Hall which was easy enough to find. We looked for a sign or something to indicate where the restaurant was and didn't find a thing. We parked, went in the closest door and, by luck, ran into a couple leaving the building who pointed us in the right direction.

Go to the FRONT of Spalding Hall and enter via the small door. It's worth finding.

We both had the salmon with blueberry bourbon sauce which was excellent. It is served with couscous. We also ordered a side of the 11-cheese macaroni.... just because it had 11 cheeses. Fabulous!

We saved room for dessert because we wanted the bourbon apple crepes. Definitely worth saving the room.

1  Thank Terry_loves_travel