“Beautiful”

My Old Kentucky Home
More attraction details
Owner description: My Old Kentucky Home is one of the most famous songs to have ever been written, but it is also the name of a hallowed and beautiful Kentucky farm with many rich layers of history waiting to be explored and experienced. My Old Kentucky Home is a marvel of elegance and charm, as architecturally magnificent today as it was more than two centuries ago. Your guided house by our costumed guides spans two floors of the mansion, originally named "Federal Hill." On select days, our talented guides will sing the song, "My Old Kentucky Home," for tour guests. See 170 year old antique artifacts including paintings, high-style furniture, lavish period decor, and the carefully curated interiors of Kentucky's most famous landmark.
Berea Ky
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Beautiful”
Reviewed November 21, 2011

The Home has been redone and is very lovely and interesting to visit.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank kentuckywild

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The sun shines bright”
Reviewed November 14, 2011

Visited mokh on a sunny and warm day in November. The leaf peepers had finished peeping and the holiday crowds hadn't started and lucked out to be the only one on the tour on a Monday am. Admission is only 7 dollars. They have ample convenient parking and a very nice welcome center and gift shop. I have found the folks in KY to be over the top friendly and helpful. Just so at MOKH.
..the two lady tourguides ..one for 1st floor and one for 2nd were both dressed in authentic period hoop skirt dresses of the period. The house was lived in until 1922 by descendants of the original builder/owner, Judge Rowan, and much original furnishings were on the tour. The guides were most knowledgeable and fun and interesting. Children would enjoy the kids rooms and outside gardens,pavilion and expansive grounds. As Stephen Foster wrote who visited here and was inspired to write what became the state song of KY.."the sun shines bright on my old Kentucky home"

Marietta, Georgia
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 170 helpful votes
“It's Okay...”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Not wanting to bring the wrath of whole state of Kentucky for saying anything disparaging about their beloved treasure, I will step carefully in my critique. I don’t know what I was expecting exactly, but it is your typical federal style home – albeit large. The tour was okay, informative. The tour was given by two guides, one of whom was more friendly than the other. Stephen Foster, a distant cousin who had visited the site they think only once, wrote “My Old Kentucky Home” catapulting the home into fame. Other than that, it’s a lovely historic site, but I didn’t walk away feeling that there was anything particularly unique about it. Judge Rowan sounded like an interesting person: killed someone in a duel and later became a senator. Eight family members died of a cholera outbreak at one time. That’s unique. So, maybe I’m just being too picky. (I probably would have liked it more if I hadn’t read all the hype, and also visited so many historic homes in my time that I’ve lost count.) I feel that one kind of must go see it because of its importance to the state… Heck, they even put it on the back of a quarter…

Visited October 2011
1 Thank CobbCoGA
Tennessee
99 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 224 helpful votes
“Tallest ceiling I have ever seen.”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

We enjoyed this home. It has some of the tallest ceilings I have ever seen. If in the Bardstown area a must see. Stephen Foster would want you to see it if for no other reason then for his song. The gift store is very nice also. Buy a cd of his music while here.

Visited October 2010
1 Thank LisaWayne
Knoxville, Tennessee
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A WORTHWHILE VISIT”
Reviewed August 19, 2011

Visited the park 35 years ago and never forgot it.. Went back and was pleasently surprised to see the mansion (Federal Hill) looks better today than I remembered it to be. It has been kept up with new wallpaper and carpets. The personnel throughout the park and in the mansion are exceptionally friendly and helpful. The grounds are immaculately kept up. Surprisingly they do not charge admission to this gem of a park. The amount charged to tour the mansion is very small and worth every penny. The bells chiming throughout the park are a reminder of the beautiful music of Stephen Foster,- what a beautiful touch. Would recommend the park for a visit to everyone.

Visited August 2011