“Great atmosphere and hospitality!”
Review of Chapeze House - CLOSED

Chapeze House
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I ate dinner at Chapeze House on a recent anniversary trip. The bourbon cheese, green beans, roasted potatoes, stewed apples and dessert were all amazing, as were the mint julep and Manhattan we enjoyed on the porch before dinner. They also have very interesting bourbon flights that were unlike anything else we saw in Bardstown. The atmosphere was very warm and inviting, but the hospitality of the Colonel and wife Margaret Sue is what really made this a memorable experience. They sat and talked to us before and after our meal, sharing the history of the house and town. We will definitely be back.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Just celebrated my dads 65th birthday with the best bourbon flight we have ever had. Amazing food as well. If you are in the area you have to stop in to have a drink with the colonel.

Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were very excited about the Bourbon Dinner at the Chapeze House. The description of the dinner was just what we were looking for to wrap up our time on the Bourbon Trail. We were instructed to arrive at 6:30 for dinner. What we found was a cocktail hour and a half. Drinks were offered at $13 for cocktails and flights of bourbon at a range of $20 upwards. Nibbles were served that amounted to pretzels with a bourbon cheese dip. We had been led to believe that The Colonel would be guiding us through the intricacies of the Bourbon world and this did not happen. Fortunately we were sitting at a table where another guest who was well versed in Bourbon and he was able to fill in the gaps. Dinner was served and while there were elements of the dinner that were quite good the pork chop was over cooked and at best it fell far short of what we would have cooked at home. Bottom line we felt that it was overpriced and not what we expected.

1  Thank Cathy N
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Okay, so we came to Chapeze House during Bourbon Festival weekend, so I should have known it would not be one of their normal nights, since there were probably more people there than usual. But it just wasn't the fantastic, over-the-top, life-changing dining experience I had read about on tripadvisor. The service was fantastic - LOVED Rosemary, she is so nice! But the drinks were VERY expensive - I was expecting $13 for a regular drink, but I thought $8.00 for a glass of Woodbridge Pinot Grigio was a bit much. The food WAS very good as far as the entrees and salad - I was, however, sort of disappointed that it wasn't what the website menu had shown. I don't like sweet potatoes (we had sweet potato casserole), nor do I like fried apples (and we were served fried apples). Shame on me, I guess, for not asking what the exact menu would be for the night. The food was buffet-style, which I wasn't expecting, but again, it was really crowded. I just got a really weird vibe from the place, and it wasn't the down-home Southern-style dinner I was hoping to enjoy. The colonel did introduce himself, but other than that, we didn't really have much interaction with him, other than when he came in to introduce Margaret Sue's cookbook (I did glance through the cookbook - it was a nice book, and I probably would have purchased one, but our bill without tip had already come to about $112.00). He was actually very quiet. Never did see Margaret-Sue. I feel terrible saying this because they SEEMED like they were very nice, and I had been really looking forward to the evening, but I would probably not return to Chapeze House.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

4th time dining with the Colonel and Margaret Sue. Food excellent as usual. Very crowded tonight since it is the Bourbon Festival weekend and this is the Best Restaurant in town for Food, Service and Kentucky Hospitality. The Homemade BBQ sauce, Cornbread and Bourbon Chocolate sauce are worth a drive to Bardstown alone. I had two Chapezetini. Old Fitzgerald, Sprite, Orange Juice and Cherry juice(instead of Gernadine). YUM! The only thing I missed was the last time we dined on a weeknight my husband and I were the only customers and we sat out front and talked the night away with the Colonel and his lovely wife (the Chef).