“A disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Chapeze House

Chapeze House
Ranked #11 of 77 Restaurants in Bardstown
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Television, Wine and Beer
“A disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were very excited about the Bourbon Dinner at the Chapeze House. The description of the dinner was just what we were looking for to wrap up our time on the Bourbon Trail. We were instructed to arrive at 6:30 for dinner. What we found was a cocktail hour and a half. Drinks were offered at $13 for cocktails and flights of bourbon at a range of $20 upwards. Nibbles were served that amounted to pretzels with a bourbon cheese dip. We had been led to believe that The Colonel would be guiding us through the intricacies of the Bourbon world and this did not happen. Fortunately we were sitting at a table where another guest who was well versed in Bourbon and he was able to fill in the gaps. Dinner was served and while there were elements of the dinner that were quite good the pork chop was over cooked and at best it fell far short of what we would have cooked at home. Bottom line we felt that it was overpriced and not what we expected.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Cathy N

Columbus, Ohio
“Not what I was expecting...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Okay, so we came to Chapeze House during Bourbon Festival weekend, so I should have known it would not be one of their normal nights, since there were probably more people there than usual. But it just wasn't the fantastic, over-the-top, life-changing dining experience I had read about on tripadvisor. The service was fantastic - LOVED Rosemary, she is so nice! But the drinks were VERY expensive - I was expecting $13 for a regular drink, but I thought $8.00 for a glass of Woodbridge Pinot Grigio was a bit much. The food WAS very good as far as the entrees and salad - I was, however, sort of disappointed that it wasn't what the website menu had shown. I don't like sweet potatoes (we had sweet potato casserole), nor do I like fried apples (and we were served fried apples). Shame on me, I guess, for not asking what the exact menu would be for the night. The food was buffet-style, which I wasn't expecting, but again, it was really crowded. I just got a really weird vibe from the place, and it wasn't the down-home Southern-style dinner I was hoping to enjoy. The colonel did introduce himself, but other than that, we didn't really have much interaction with him, other than when he came in to introduce Margaret Sue's cookbook (I did glance through the cookbook - it was a nice book, and I probably would have purchased one, but our bill without tip had already come to about $112.00). He was actually very quiet. Never did see Margaret-Sue. I feel terrible saying this because they SEEMED like they were very nice, and I had been really looking forward to the evening, but I would probably not return to Chapeze House.

• Visited September 2013
Hurricane, West Virginia
“Never Disappoints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

4th time dining with the Colonel and Margaret Sue. Food excellent as usual. Very crowded tonight since it is the Bourbon Festival weekend and this is the Best Restaurant in town for Food, Service and Kentucky Hospitality. The Homemade BBQ sauce, Cornbread and Bourbon Chocolate sauce are worth a drive to Bardstown alone. I had two Chapezetini. Old Fitzgerald, Sprite, Orange Juice and Cherry juice(instead of Gernadine). YUM! The only thing I missed was the last time we dined on a weeknight my husband and I were the only customers and we sat out front and talked the night away with the Colonel and his lovely wife (the Chef).

Visited September 2013
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Best by far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

This is by far the best in Bardstown. It is really more like being a guest in someone's home (someone who happens to be a gourmet cook). Five stars is really not enough. It is not just a place to eat on your travels but a legitimate travel destination.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank smckay1066
Oxford, Ohio
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

Went to this restaurant with my mom on a girls' weekend trip. The atmosphere is so laid back and inviting and we had so much fun chatting and laughing with The Colonel and the other guests. The meal was absolutely divine and we did not leave hungry. We had a truly wonderful experience and can't wait to tell all of our friends about it!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Samantha C

Been to Chapeze House? Share your experiences!