“Enjoyed our stay!”

Ranked #2 of 10 Bardstown B&B and Inns
Texas
“Enjoyed our stay!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We were lucky to find this convenient, comfortable, friendly place after the B&B where we had reservations was ordered closed by the courts and we were not notified. Paul, the owner was very gracious and made several great recomendations for our three day visit in the area. Dixie, the innkeeper was a true delight and we really enjoyed meeting and talking to her. We stayed in the downstairs Colonial Room with a queen bed, two easy chairs, and a whirlpool bath. Unusually cool spring weather made us look forward to returning each evening to our cozy room. Breakfast was served right outside our room so if you like to sleep in you might prefer an upstairs room. In summer months breakfast is served in the courtyard. It was no problem for us. The Jailhouse Inn was recently voted "quirkiest B&B in Kentucky".

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KathrynG

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Ann Arbor
Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and two boys (8 & 10) spent two nights in their 'Garden Room' over a spring break vacation. From the moment we arrived, the staff looked for ways to meet our needs, e.g. when we checked in, the manager anticipated that our boys might be picky eaters and she explained breakfast the next day (wondering it the boys would eat it) and offered a few different cereals as substitutes. It was such a kind thing to do, and the boys' breakfast was ready on the table when they woke up. The innkeeper had a lot of helpful advice to offer, it was a great place to stay. Touring the 'jail' was great fun for all of us-- I highly recommend this place for anyone who has kids or anyone who just wants to stay in a charming town and a unique place!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Solon, Ohio
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Overall my wife and I had a very cool experience here.

The rooms aren't luxurious, but they fit the genre of the jail. The facilities in the room are dated and show signs of wear and having been repaired numerous times. I wouldn't say its not clean, but a lot of the surfaces just show a lot of wear due to time.

Dixie was very nice and adds a lot to the ambiance of the stay. She makes a very good southern style breakfast which was very tasty. During the winter months, the dining is done right outside the rooms so if you're a light sleeper and plan to sleep in past 8am you will find yourself a little disappointed.

The tour of the jail and the opportunity to walk around throughout the night coupled with Dixie's stories of the history of the jail all added up to a very cool stay that my wife and I are not soon to forget. This is one "have to" experience if you are traveling through the area.

Even with the few quirky issues that are due to the style of experience this is, I would give the Jailers Inn a solid A.

Room Tip: Travel over the winter months while dining will occur indoors will be loud in the morning as people...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brad D
cincinnati, ohio
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I might have something better to say about this place had we been able to stay for both of the nights that I "booked". Dixie was a very nice woman, however was very confused during the reservation process and unfortunately managed to screw up the dates. We were only able to stay the first night of our planned two night trip. Paul and Dixie did their best to make up for the error, which kept our trip from being ruined. On another note, the Hampton in Bardstown is VERY nice.
We stayed in the Victorian room in a very comfortable bed, but neither of us slept much all night. On the bright side, we did NOT experience any disturbing noises or the feeling that there was any type of 'haunting' going on. The house could use a little updating but was very intriguing and extremely clean. The tour was short and sweet but contained a lot of interesting information about the history of the jail.
Our visit to the Talbott Inn for dinner and drinks was enjoyable and the bartender/manager was entertaining.

Room Tip: Victorian room (room #1) was quiet, clean, but was windowless.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank queenie548
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 28, 2013

My niece (12 yrs), nephew (6), husband, and I all went for one night. We stayed in the Library Room. It wasn't luxury, but that didn't bother us. We mainly went because of the haunting experience and boy did we come to the right spot! We did have a few occurrences happen (lights went from dim to bright, channels turning by its self, pillows would get knocked off the bottom of the bed, our cooler handle kept falling down, heard bells, and heard some knocks.) It was a lot of fun and my nephew wasn't even scared!
Dixie (inn keeper) was a sweetheart! She told us the history of the place and was just overall a great host! I believe if it wasn't for Dixie it wouldn't have been as fun. She made our trip worth the 3 hour drive. The breakfast was great! She even gave the kids cereal since they may have not liked the French Toast. Everything was pretty clean and nice. The TV was a bit small but that wasn't a deal breaker. I do look forward to returning again!

Room Tip: If you do not want to be waken up for breakfast in the morning, do not pick the Library Room. You c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shalena H
Pulaski, Tennessee
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Let me begin by saying that I am not one to leave a nasty, tasteless review. I by no means want to be rude or disrespectful, my only intention is to review my trip as accurately as possible.

My husband and I spent two nights, Saturday and Sunday night in Cell #2 (Colonial Room). We happened upon this opportunity when I purchased a Groupon. I would have been even more upset about our stay if I would have spent more money on our trip. At first glance I was happy with the room because it was large. Upon farther inspection it was dingy. There were cob webs in corners and there was an overall sense of it being unkempt. I'm not saying that it was not clean, just needed general maintenance. The bedroom was large and spacious but just gave you a sense of needing a thorough cleaning. The bathroom had linoleum flooring that had several holes in it. It also had a jacuzzi tub. The fixtures were in terrible shape. There were holes in the walls where towel bars had fallen and the holes had not been patched. I could go on but I won't.... Normally, I do not take baths but due to the incredible cold, I decided to. Mistake. I was only able to run approx. 3-4 inches of water in the tub before running out of hot water. The next morning my husband and I both had to take cold showers. I reported this to the staff. The lady that took the report stated that another coupled had also complained about the hot water and she would make sure that the owner know that there was a problem.

One more thing that really bothered me. We were in room #2 which is on the 1st floor. Breakfast is served on both the 1st and 2nd floor. Unfortunately for us, the 1st floor breakfast table was literally outside our door. So, even though we decided not to go to breakfast because we didn't enjoy it, we were unable to sleep in due to the noise outside our door. Regardless of whether we would have been upstairs or downstairs this scenario would have still applied. Of course, during warmer weather, breakfast is served outside.

Breakfast was not impressive. We went to Mammy's which was wonderful. I will be writing a review on it later =).

We were assured that the thermostat on the hot had just stuck. He said that he ran a steady stream of hot water for 30 minutes and there were no problems. FANTASTIC!!!! It was cold in KY and we both needed hot showers! Unfortunately, we didn't get them.....

This B&B has SO much potential!!!!! It is in a prime location and is absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately, it needs a ton of TLC. I can't say that I would recommend it to anyone at this point and I will definitely not be returning to the Jailer's Inn. However, we will be returning to Bardstown in the near future to visit a few distilleries that we missed.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in make sure to travel during warmer weather to ensure that breakfast is being...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Amanda K
Auburn, California, United States
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Last fall we spent two nights at Jailer's Inn B&B in Bardstown, Ky and thorougly enjoyed our stay. This is not the typical, beautiful Victorian or farmhouse B&B. This is an actual old jail and the rooms are former cells that have been attractively renovated. Not only did we enjoy our room, but we also enjoyed the rest of the jail, including the morning breakfast and tour following. After breakfast our host guided us on a tour of the old jail complete with tales of its former days, including ghost stories, which one could chose to believe or not to believe. Many stories, however, were factual and the old jail clearly has an interesting history. Staying at the Jailer's Inn was a delightful experience and we would happily return if we're even in the area again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bardstown
General Nelson Inn
Wingfield Inn & Suites
Wingfield Inn & Suites
#3 of 17 in Elizabethtown
Bourbon Manor Bed & Breakfast

Been to Jailer's Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!