“A great find in butterfly country”
Review of J.M. Butterfly B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Macheros
J.M. Butterfly B&B
Boulder, Colorado
“A great find in butterfly country”
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently stayed at J.M.'s Butterfly B&B in Mancheros, Mexico (end of March) and I would really encourage anyone who is interested in seeing the Monarch Butterflies as well as experiencing the " real Mexico" to come to this place. Joel is an excellent host and guide. His English is great and his knowledge of the area is first hand as his family has lived there for three generations. I came at the end of the butterfly season on a gamble, not knowing if I would see any butterflies or not, but Joel found them even though there weren't any left at any of the nearby sanctuaries. Needless to say, I was thrilled. This is a family project enhanced by the excellent home cooking of Joel's sisters, the gardens and the pueblo itself. This is a very rural setting with chickens and horses, etc but the B&B is a comfortable and modern building that is continually being improved.The rooms are basic but clean and Joel is always open to suggestions on how to make things more comfortable and convenient. I would love to return next year though a bit earlier. It is a very beautiful, peaceful and relaxing place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I was part of a group of four seniors led by Joel to visit the Cerro Pelon reserve in March. It was an awesome experience. We had arrived in Zitacaro intending to try to find our way to a butterfly reserve on our own. I became concerned about our ability to get the most out of the experience on our own and began to surf the internet to see if I couldn't find a guide, when Joel's name appeared in a respected travel commentator's website review. Since my US cell wasn't working, I e-mailed him about the possibility of a tour the following day. His cell doesn't always work in his small village, so he had a Los Angeles friend call me at the hotel to make the arrangements. He picked us up at the hotel and drove us to his small town. We wanted to hike rather than use the horses, but he had men on horses follow us anyway. Ten minutes into the hike, two members of the party decided to use the horses. 20 minutes into the walk, my partner also decided to ride, so, despite never having been on a horse before, I agreed to do the same. There were men who guided the horses so it was not a problem. We saw thousands of butterflies; a wondrous and magical experience. Joel provided us with a delicious lunch while we sat on rocks, surrounded by flying butterflies. On our return, his mother prepared a simple, delicious meal of grilled trout; the trout were very fresh as they had been taken from his father's trout pond on the property. Joel, a very personable and knowledgeable young man speaks excellent English; he was an exceptional guide. My friends who now live in Mexico are planning a return visit next February when Joel indicated that butterflies were even more plentiful at that time of the year. I can't comment on his B & B because we found him after we were already in a hotel in Zitacuaro. However, it is located in a charming little village and I would likely stay there on a return visit as Zitacuero isn't a particularly attractive city. In summary, a wonderful guide and an awesome experience that I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Patten, Maine
Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I just went to see the monarch butterflies in mid-Feb at Cerro Pelon reserve. The trailhead is in a village called Macheros (it is about 20 minutes from Zitacuaro, and a two hour drive from Mexico City or Morelia). The reserve is truly breathtaking and not touristy at all. We hiked up instead of riding the horse up and enjoyed watching the butterflies for an hour and a half while we were eating our sandwisches. I would love to watch the butterflies again when I visit Mexico again.

We stayed at the recently opened B&B by Joel -- his sofa set was delivered the day we checked in. The rooms are basic but clean. We joined Joel's tour to go up to see the butterflies. I do not speak Spainish and glad that Joel speaks good English because he lived in the US for 11 years.

At night time, we enjoyed pulque made by Jamine (Joel's sister) and the fresh trout made by Rosa (Joel's mother). The trout are from Melquiades' (Joel's father) trout farm nearby. Loba, Joel's dog is unbelievable and she hiked up with us and she is certainly in better shape than us, lol. Since there is no Internet access in the small town, we could focus on meeting other travelers and getting to know Joel more. Please be patient when you email Joel, he cannot respond to your email immediately because he needs to drive 20 minutes to the big town to check his email everyday. Perhaps calling his landline at night is a better way of communication.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank YeShanghai
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macheros
Hotel Villa Monarca
#1 of 3 in Zitacuaro
Hotel Irekua
Hotel Irekua
#1 of 6 in Zitacuaro

Been to J.M. Butterfly B&B? Share your experiences!