“Homemade pie!”

Ranked #3 of 5 Restaurants in Wilson
Hays, Kansas
“Homemade pie!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Who makes pies from scratch? They do. And it is wonderful. With flavors you don't taste at other places because other places get pie from Heaven knows where.

Visited October 2012

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Only a Few Items Made from Scratch”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

And a weak average at that. Not what we were hoping for, but there are not a lot of choices along this stretch of I70. We stopped for a lunch and found the main attraction was an all you can eat buffet. The vegetables did not look fresh and the emphasis appeared to be on quantity and high caloric content rather than quality. This is a relaxed place, we ordered from the menu and it took about 45 minutes (clearly the items we ordered had to be thawed), to get our food. This is a farming community and the local clientele no doubt starts their day early and are ready for a long relaxing mid day meal. We stayed for 1.5 hours and many of the patrons that were there when we arrived were still there when we left. The pies do appear to be made in house. I believe the name derives from the baking of pies and pastries in house and isn't intended to apply to the whole menu. We were there in June and I felt the best bet for a freshly made fruit filling was rhubarb. Unfortunately I like a tart rhubarb and theirs was a sweeter than I prefer version. Pie pastry tasted homemade if slightly on the heavy side. We noticed a very large Sysco tractor trailer truck in the back of the restaurant when we departed. Considering the alternatives I gave this restaurant an average rating but in other areas it would have been rated a poor. Not really worth a detour off the I70.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Ancheviaggio
“In leiu of the Midland Hotel”
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I ate dinner, breakfast and lunch on an over nite business stay in Wilson. The steak dinner was great, cooked as requested and large. Breakfast was as good as I have had anywhere. Lunch I ordered from the menu and it was also good, the pie was great. Service was a little slow but very friendly. After all, Wilson with a population of 20, what's the big rush. Enjoy.

• Visited September 2012
Lawrence, Kansas
“Tasty Food, Friendly Staff, Quaint town”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stopped in for a late lunch on a Saturday. The place was over half full and only one server. Guess what, she worked hard, efficiently, and was friendly. The buffet was filling and tasty. The bierocks were huge and tasty. The mashed potatoes were just like mom made - a lump every once in a while; so, you knew they were real. It was really a filling meal in a lovely little town right off Interstate 70. I'd stop again. Oh, I forgot to mention the homemade pies. They were out of the peanut butter, but the Dutch Apple was heavenly. There were over 10 varieties to chose from.

• Visited September 2012
Pensacola, Florida
“Friendly, but slow inattentive service and frozen food”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

When you hear "made from scratch" - you think... homemade. False... at least in our experience. Everything was pre-frozen (how do I know? My meal came out half frozen still). The service was inattentive (waited over 20 minutes before we got a waitress and some water... when the owner noticed). The kitchen struck me as dirty looking and you can see the chefs who didn't appear to care about cross contamination, etc. Overall, a very, very, very disappointing experience. Would not go back or recommend. (And you can check my reviews - hardly any are this poor!)

• Visited August 2012