“Awesome place!”
Review of Guy & Mae's Tavern

Guy & Mae's Tavern
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

Been coming here for over 30 years, and it brings back so many memories. If you have never been, put it on the list if you like ribs!

3  Thank Robert W

Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Please pull off and treat yourself traveling I-35 south of KC. I couldn't select multiple visit dates. When a place pulls off the trifecta of quality pulled pork, brisket and ham I am all in. Feel bad for not writing this earlier. Friend in town heading home on 35S and made him stop. You stop too. So worth it.

1  Thank Whitedog1130
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I like BBQ very much and am always game for trying out a joint that is talked up as being good. I pretty much stick to pork ribs and if they show up with anything other than rub on them it's an immediate turn off and guarantees I will not visit again. I like BBQ strictly because of the smoke flavor. I don't like ketchup or BBQ sauce. On rare occasion I will try a dab of BBQ sauce, but only if it is mustard based. I've never had BBQ in Memphis, but I have in Kansas City, Bellevue (Omaha) NE, Des Moines, Loveland, CO, and Eureka, MO. The pork ribs at Guy and Mae's Tavern in Williamsburg, KS are a full step above my second favorite (Nordy's in Loveland). When you couple the fact that you're seated in a very plain tavern in a very small town in Kansas with the fact that the ribs come out wrapped in foil and newspaper you know you're onto something good. Until you sink your teeth into a couple of ribs you don't know just how good. The ribs are quite meaty and fall-off-the-bone tender. Smokey flavor permeates the meat. There's BBQ sauce on the table if you're foolish enough to use it. On these ribs, sauce doesn't enhance the flavor, it merely masks it (IMHO). The best part for me is that my fingers smell of smoke for the next 12 hours, even after scrubbing my paws with the Lava soap they always have in the restroom. I've heard two tales that I cannot confirm, but do not strike me as being hard to believe. 1. Tour buses are known to stop in Williamsburg specifically for the passengers to dine at Guy and Mae's. 2. Johnny Carson used to have these ribs flown to him in California. If you're ever within an hour's drive of Williamsburg, KS and you like BBQ, do yourself a huge favor and treat yourself to a full rack at Guy and Mae's. You need not thank me, but your taste buds will!

1  Thank MalcolmMerriweather
Reviewed October 16, 2012

Be still my heart - the best fall-off-the-bone ribs around. Served in heavy duty foil on top of newspaper - no fork - just finger licking ribs. When you open up the foil you just can't imagine the ribs really falling off the bone, but they do. Not a big menu, but the star is the ribs. The mild sauce on the side is unusual but was a good accompaniment, although the ribs didn't need any sauce. We went on a Saturday evening in September and people were carrying boxes of full slabs of ribs out to take home. The tavern was filled with families/singles/couples. The waitress let us take a picture of her T-shirt, which are for sale - Home of Bare Butt Bar-B-Que(bare piggie behinds-too cute). Will go back again on this little side trip to Williamsburg, KS. Checks and cash only, so be prepared.

2  Thank marimbaplayer
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We live about 60 miles from this great little rib joint, so it has to be worth the drive and it is. I had never been there, but you can besure we will go back. The ribs were wonderful. Very tender and lots of meat. I had potato salad and it was pretty good, the slaw ok. The main event was the ribs. Can't wait to go back a try other items.

1  Thank hometowngirl49

Been to Guy & Mae's Tavern? Share your experiences!