“Worst hotel I have ever experienced”

Candlewood Suites - Wichita Northeast
Ranked #50 of 88 Hotels in Wichita
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I booked a room at this hotel based primarily upon price and recommended it to 3 coworkers. I arrived around 6:30 PM and was given a smoking room. I immediately went back to the front desk and asked for a non-smoking room, but was told there were none available. 20 minutes later a coworker checked in and got a non-smoking room (even though I had been told there were none left). 1 hour later another coworker was told that even though he had a reservation, they didn't have a room for him. At any halfway respectable hotel, this guest would have been given a free room at a comparable hotel. The Candlewood Suite made no attempt to resolve the situation or help him find another room elsewhere. Fortunately, the Wichita Inn had available rooms at an even better rate. At 11 PM, the 3rd coworker arrived and got a non-smoking room -- despite the fact that they told me there were none. I attempted to resolve my issue with the IHG website and they were no help either. The next morning, when I checked out, I explained that I was given a non-smoking room when I requested a smoking and that a coworker was not even given a room. The desk attendant was floored. She said they ended up with an empty non-smoking room that no one used that night and they had several reservations with no credit card on file, so the coworker (who had used a credit card to guarantee the room) should have gotten one of those rooms ---- especially since he checked in after 7 PM and the non-credit card guarantee guests still had not shown up. I was offered extra IHG Rewards points to make up for the horrible room I was given, but those never showed up in my account. My suggestion -- if you travel on business, book the Courtyard by Marriott instead since all of their rooms are non-smoking. If budget is more of an issue, book the Wichita Inn and save a few more bucks and get a much better property and morning doughnuts to boot.

Room Tip: Unless you are a smoker, skip this property entirely.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Justin C
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - Wichita Northeast, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

Dear Justin C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. WE are sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. Unfortunately, your account settings do not allow us to send you a Private Message. You are welcome to reach out to our Guest Relations via email at HI-GuestRelations@ihg.com or you may send us a Private Message through TripAdvisor to IHGCare including reference to your TripAdvisor Account Name so we can follow up on your experience.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Ferdinand G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed October 28, 2013

This is a great room for the price. It is clean & the decor is updated. It is very spacious & the kitchenette comes in very handy. Only complaint I have is the bed. It was very uncomfortable & sloped in the middle & the pillows were hard. Also, we asked for a room at the back of the hotel & we got one in the front right on the highway, which we could hear all night. There is a great bar & grill right next door that we walked to. So overall, we were satisfied but I will check with them before I stay again just to see if they have got new beds.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Great value, clean and spacious rooms. Stayed here around 5 times so far and would definately go back. Courtesy service is refreshing. A lot of thing to do in the area - Cabela's one exit up. I usually stay here for work and the work space area is great for that. Little kitchen area is nice for leftovers and drinks. Layout of the room is very spacious. Did I mention this is a GREAT value?

1  Thank Glen F
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I stayed here one night because the price was right! It was clean and comfortable. The front desk clerk was a college student. She was very friendly. I prefer the Town Place suites across the way but if you are looking for a great price...this is it. Location is close to shopping and restaurants too!

2  Thank motherjanegoose
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel was very clean and the desk clerk was very nice , and explain to me where are all of the amenities we're located in the hotel. the room was very nice and spacious and updated with a flat screen TV and plenty of room for my computer laptop there is a fridge and stove and sink and the entire room was all around hey very comfortable and clean nice place to stay I would highly recommend staying there if you are traveling.

2  Thank Pulse351
Reviewed August 30, 2013

I was astounded at the good deal I got at this hotel where I stayed for two nights for business. The room with a queen-sized, comfortable bed was beautifully appointed with dark cabinetry and neutral wall color and warm-looking curtains. The L-shaped desk/television console was perfect for my laptop and spreading out my documents and phones. Being able to heat up my take out food with real plates and silverware made me feel right at home. Check in/check out were a breeze and my requests were honored. I liked that the curtains allowed a completely darkened room for good sleep and the flat screen television provided a crystal, clear picture. I needed to keep my product chilled and the ice maker and full-sized fridge made that easy. Hotels providing complimentary breakfast usually have few hearty options so a nearby McDonald's satisfied that need. If I can meet my company's price guidelines for hotel reimbursement, this is the only place I will stay in Wichita. Loved it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cat_D18
Reviewed August 26, 2013

This hotel is approximately $30 cheaper per night than other nearby hotels of the same rating. Some travelers would miss the complimentary breakfast and swimming pools that other hotels usually provide, but we did not. The beds are queen sized and a rollaway is allowed; however, the rollaway did not have a thick enough mattress and was uncomfortable. The rooms are certainly well equipped with kitchen, eating, and working areas. There is no breakfast provided but McDonalds is at Rock & E 21st or IHOP at just north of Hwy 96 on N Rock Rd. We ate at Granite City Food & Brewery near E 21st & Webb Rd.

Would be great for a traveler who needs to get some laundry done while on the road. Lots of washers and dryers available for FREE!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family