“A bit out of the way”

Ranked #50 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
KansasTravelgrl
“A bit out of the way”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I just stayed at this property and upon check in was told they only rooms they had were one beded. And they had just checked out their roll away. I was abit miffed because I had my two teenage kids with me. The three of us in one bed?? Anyway, it worked out as my daughter made a bed on the floor.
The room was very clean and modern. The property is a bit out of the way. And the two restuarants (one on each side) have gone out of business. And the hotel didn't serve any type of breakfast. So know that up front.
Was happy to learn they had some movies (limited) you could check out and watch in your room. It was a rainy night and that helped pass the time. Plus they had popcorn in the microwave.
Over all if you get a good rate, stay here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank KansasTravelgrl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed April 19, 2011

We've stayed at Candlewood Suites throughout the years. They're reasonable cost-wise, the rooms are clean, and the staff is friendly. The rooms are medium-sized with a small kitchen area, and for the price you can't beat it. They do allow pets for a small fee. It's quite nice to have laundry facilities there, also. We've never used the outdoor grill, but if you were there for a longer stay, it would be a nice feature to have. The only down side is the rooms do not accommodate a kid or two (no sleeper sofas), so you need to bring a sleeping bag and mat for them.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 30, 2010

My stay at this location was 29 days. The most important thing to me is NON-Smoking and I was given a room that smelled like an ashtray. When I complained, I was told that there were no more rooms (I checked in after 11 pm), but I could be moved the next day if I could stand it for one nite. Luckily I travel with air freshner, but that was no help. I just opened the windows to a very noisy highway and parking lot and had a horrible first nite. I did not unpack because I did not want my clothes to smell like a bar.
I was moved to a room on the exact opposite end of the smoking rooms and it smelled nice until later in the day. In an attempt to air out the hallway with the smokers, the doors were opened on either end of the hotel, the first floor of the smoking rooms and the second floor by my room. The draft just floated smoky smells by my room at all hours of the day when I was trying to work. So I put a towel at the bottom of my door in an attempt to staunch the flow. Persons also walked up and down the halls with cigarettes hanging out of their mouths. Very rude. One man even got on the elevator with me while he was smoking a cigarette!
The office closes and there is rarely anyone around on weekends so that I could make copies, send faxes or receive a fax. I spent a great deal of money at Kinkos making copies, printing documents and sending faxes. What happended to having a business center that is accessible to guests? When there was staff present, they did do all this in a very pleasant manner, but their hours were rarely my hours. I had to purchase a shredder for my use at this location.
I did laundry at this facility 3 times to equal 6 loads. My washer went thru a spin cycle 4/6 times. The other two times, I was slopping my wet clothes out of the water and moving them to another machine. I had to clean both washers and dryers before I could use them...apparently this property caters to oil field workers that wash their work clothes, grease, oil and all and no one cleans up after them. There is no where to hang your clothes as you take them out of the dryer. Bonus: found a $10 in the lint trap of a dryer one day!
The iron in my room spit nastiness all over a newly purchased white work blouse and left a huge stain that is still evident. $79 down the drain there! I took my ironing out after this...it was cheaper than buying new clothes.
There is no lobby, breakfast room or even an outdoor location to just sit and get our of your room for a change of scenery. There is a gazebo, but it is a glorified ash tray. They had a cookout one nite, but they charged money for it.
Lastly, no breakfasts. As a frequent business traveler I depend on that time saving amenity and I found that I really missed that. I stayed here only because the company for which I was contracting had negotiated a special rate for my stay and they had me stay there. Upon completion of my work, I informed the company that if I were to return, I would not be staying at this property. On the days that I had to sleep days and work nights, housekeeping, maintenance and guests would camp in the hallway and talk loudly with little consideration that there may be people registered here that may not be on their schedule.
I would rank this a budget hotel that does not cater to business travelers. There was only one restaurant within walking distance. Nothing else really near this property.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
wichita ks
Reviewed February 26, 2010

the rooms are clean and nice although.... I hesitate to call them suites compared to other hotels. They are more "efficiencies" than suites. Nonetheless, the entiire experience is wonderful.

• Stayed February 2010
Bay area, CA
Reviewed December 18, 2009

I usually stay at the Hilton, but it was full. This was nearby my destination, so I decided to stay here.

It was the first time I stayed at Candlewood. It's oriented to the longterm resident, so they only change linens once a week. Rooms do have a small kitchen, which although I didn't use it much, is nice. They have a little store where you can buy snacks for a reasonable price. Gym is adequate. Staff was friendly. The feeling of the place was a little spartan - windows were small, some plumbing fixtures showing wear, not much landscaping outside.

The location is ok - there's one restaurant nearby (Ted's Montana Grill). Otherwise, you need to get in your car. But, that's not so different from other places.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bjblue
USA
Reviewed November 16, 2009

Me and my spouse stayed here just to get away for the weekend. The room did have a refrigerator and microwave which was a plus, but the hotel was uninviting, somewhat rundown and old. Room was very small, very basic. Housekeeping will not change sheets and provide towels unless you ask the front desk. Probably will not stay here again- there are better, newer hotels nearby for the same price per night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 3, 2007

Have stayed here often over the last few years. It's always pretty consistant. It's your basic Candlewood Suites property - staff is fine, rooms are clean, beds are fine, internet works, service is decent, location is good, value is average.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank snooksinK.C.