“Clean, Great Customer Service ++++”

TownePlace Suites Wichita East
Ranked #52 of 87 Hotels in Wichita
Los Angeles, California
“Clean, Great Customer Service ++++”
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I was on a budget and a bit hesitant to initially stay here for so cheap. I found a discounted price they had advertised plus my AAA rate and stayed four nights (Thurs - Mon) for my cousin's wedding. The normal rate was between $89 - $109 per night, but had gotten their special for only $59 per night. So I figured, try it and see, I could always cancel if unhappy the first night.

I was very pleasantly pleased with not only the quality of service, but also the cleanliness. Additionally I and had 2 large packages sent to the hotel directly prior to arriving. I had informed them of it and they assured me they would hold my items till I arrived later that week. Sure enough, I had the packages waiting for me along with a very courteous and friendly front desk staff.

During my stay, they refreshed and cleaned my room, did all my dishes and the cleaning lady even assisted us with bringing the bouquets and florals to our car on the day of the wedding as my cousin stayed with me the night before so I could help her prepare and get ready. We had absolutely trashed the room with all our preparations as we made the bride's bouquets, florals and the boutonnière ourselves. The housekeeper was absolutely sweet and when i got back that night the room was clean, clean clean!

Additionally when I mentioned that the sliding door to the bathroom had fallen off the track, the front desk manager assured me that when I came back later that evening after the wedding, she would move me to another room.

Instead, I decided to get a second room for my cousin for her wedding night and they accommodated them with a King suite for the same rate as I had!

Breakfast consisted of muffins, boiled eggs, juices/coffee/teas, fruits and toast. Nothing really to speak of, but they kept the food extended beyond the alloted times and if you happened to come down a bit late, the front desk would ask immediately if you wanted anything. Even late at night I had wanted to make soup and went downstairs to ask if they had any of the hard-boiled eggs. They fetched some for me which I added to the top ramen soup as we were so exhausted with all the wedding prep.

I would absolutely recommend the place. The place is clean, staff very attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms high up and away from the elevator
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed December 28, 2010

We have stayed here before, the last time in 2008. Since then the hotel appears to have been remodeled and the lobby is completely different in appearance (for the better). The room was fine for the two of us with a double bed, sofa, work area, large LCD TV set, fully kitchen and nice sized bath. Since our last visit Marriott has stopped providing skin lotion in the bathrooms, but still supplies shampoo and conditioner. I think this is a Marriott-wide action not just at the lower end hotels like this one. We did not ask the front desk for any lotion so do not know if they had any to offer.

The hotel was very clean and neat and appeared to be well kept. A few things have changed since last time we stayed: there is now a small work out room with two elliptical machines and one treadmill, but they are high quality machines. There is also a nice sized guest laundry room with pay washers and driers. There is still no pool or hot tub so no need for swim suit. The other thing that changed is the breakfast. Two years ago some hot items were offered like biscuits and gravy and as I recall a waffle maker. No longer it is strictly a cold breakfast now with bagels, English muffins, regular muffins, cereal, hard boiled eggs, juices, milks, yogurts, and tea and coffees. Not a bad breakfast at all and plenty to choose from. Just no hot food. No big deal,

Overall a very good hotel and great value for money and we would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Great Falls, Virginia
Reviewed August 9, 2010

From the moment we were greeted at the front desk we reallized this was a Hotel that cared about their Guests. The Lobby/Breakfast area is bright and Valerie handled 60 plus young Athletics and the rest of the Guests beautifully. Ample breakfast with a nice choice of healthy options.
Room decor is cheerful, very clean and large enough to feel at Home. I highly reccomend this Hotel. Within 2 miles are lovely shops,Resturants and a Mall.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Liberal, Kansas
Reviewed June 29, 2010

We were well pleased with our room. It was clean and well decorated. We really appreciated having a wall thermostat instead of the usual control located under a window. The hotel employees were all very pleasant and friendly. The breakfast had the usual hot a;nd cold items and was as good as you usually get in a hotel breakfast.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed November 19, 2009

I wouldn't normally have chosen TownPlace Suites for a singe-night stay in Wichita as it seemed like too much room for just one night. However, I couldn't find any other rooms on the east side of town. Turned out to be very nice and comfortable. Breakfast was o.k. with the usual choices, although I liked being able to get a full-sized yogurt cup! Plus, I could have done without Fox news on the telly in the eating area, but that's easy to ignore. I'd stay here for an extended visit and be able to take advantage of teh small kitchen. A little much for one night. Other things i noticed: definitely not HIGH-speed internet in the rooms. The doors to each room slam incredibly hard and loud. Can't keep curtain above heating unit from billowing out.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed July 21, 2008

We spent one night here prior to attending a wedding. We are pretty regular Marriott customers so that was a big part of booking this hotel. We just needed a decent place to spend the night and get ready for the wedding the next morning. This hotel fit the bill for us.

The property was easy to locate and was close to a wide variety of eating places. It is located in a very quiet area, but just a short drive to Rock Road, where all the dining choices are located. The hotel was well kept and the room was clean and good sized. There is no pool or hot tub so leave the swim suit at home. There is also no exercise room (even though the information in the room indicates there is). They have a pass to the YMCA for those that want to go there but it is pretty far away. If one was staying at the hotel for extended period it would be useful.

The room was large, with two full size beds, sofa bed, and a fully equipped kitchen area. The bath was average sized and in good shape. The bath amenities were typical Marriott Townplace items and included bars of soap, shampoo, conditioner and skin cream/lotion. Overall the room was clean but starting to show its age a bit. Nothing major, just the typical wear and tear any hotel gets.

One thing that might be of interest is that the hotel allows pets in the rooms so anyone that has pet allergies might want to book elsewhere (I do not know if they have pet-free rooms).

The included breakfast had biscuits and gravy, bagels and breads, yogurt, cereal, milk, hard boiled eggs, juices, and fresh fruit and coffee and tea. Plenty of food and constantly refreshed.

Overall this was a good experience but just a notch below the normal Marriott level. It was hard to put a finger on it but I think it was mainly the staff, which seemed to be pretty unsure of anything when asked questions and were not particularly helpful (with the exception of the lady that took care of breakfast - she was very good).

So the bottom line is would I stay here again? Yes, if the price is right. It was fine for what we needed, it was clean and appeared well kept, and we had no problems of any kind.

• Liked — Fair price for room and convienent location for our needs.
  • Disliked — No major dislikes
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed July 2, 2008

Definitely not the quality one would expect from the Marriott name. The lobby is nice enough and the staff is very friendly, but the hotel is run down overall- worn carpet, scuffed walls, etc. Room was mostly clean, except for the back of the bathroom door (it's a pocket door and I'm sure the maids usually leave it open while cleaning, so they've probably never noticed). Unlike the previous reviewer, my trash was emptied and the few dishes I'd left in the sink were placed in the dishwasher.

The continental breakfast was average- cereal, muffins, toast, yogurt, juice, coffee. There is also a coffeepot in the room.

The "fitness center" was located between the elevator and my room, so I checked it when I first got there and found the door locked. I figured it was only open certain hours so I checked the info in my room, and it said it could be accessed anytime with my room key. Only, it didn't have a room-key type lock, but a brass-key type. So, I checked it again the next couple times I passed by, and finally found it unlocked- only to find NO exercise equipment at all, but a desk, filing cabinet, a couple chairs, and a vacuum cleaner? Apparently you can get passes to the local Y at the front desk, but I never asked- I like the convenience of an on-site exercise room, and I was only staying 2 nights anyway.

• Liked — In-room kitchen, friendly staff
  • Disliked — Lack of exercise room, general worn down feel
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
HaleyAlise, Owner at TownePlace Suites Wichita East, responded to this review, January 28, 2010
This hotel was completely renovated from top to bottom in 2009. New paint, new carpet, new linens, new lobby, new fitness center: new everything.
Our breakfast is now a hot buffet-style, and includes a variety with eggs and bacon or biscuits and gravy, along with sweet rolls, cereal, fruit, muffins, juice and more. Coffee is available in the lobby 24-7.
All of our rooms have updated locks with a safe key card system that will allow you in your room, fitness center, laundry room and exterior entries.
The on-site fitness center is available to our guests 24 hours a day, and includes state of the art cardio fitness equipment.