“A wonderful surprise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abuelo's

Abuelo's
Ranked #9 of 1,033 Restaurants in Wichita
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern
Good for: Kids, Business meetings, Special occasions, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Abuelo's invites you to experience the incredible flavors of Mexico, combining homemade cooking with rich flavors of coastal and interior Mexican cuisine.
“A wonderful surprise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

We had no idea Abuelo's were also in Kansas, so were very excited when we arrived and were told one was down the street. These are my favorite restaurants ever! We had spinach enchiladas with cream sauce and chicken enchiladas with sour cream sauce, both delicious. The mango infused guacamole was delightful, and I loved the pineapple salsa so much I bought a pint to take home. I am really surprised at Bluehippo's review; this place is fabulous!

• Visited November 2013

Hutchinson
“Food is blah, over-rated on all aspects”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

I was expecting a lot more from this restaurant considering these reviews and friends that had recommended it. I was led to believe that they serve authentic Mexican, but it was nothing different than any other bad "Mexican" restaurant(i.e. Carlos o'kelleys). Precooked, microwaved. The pineapple salsa was pretty good and different. I also had the impression that it is a fancier place, but the only thing fancy about it is the location. It's a big place with nothing distinctive or atmospheric about it. Overall, I can only say it was Blah.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Bluehipp0
Tennessee
“Surprising Mexican food in Wichita!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

OK- I knew that a Texan in Wichita on business shouldn't go to a Mexican Restaurant. It's just unfair. However, there I was. It looked promising; I was hopeful.
I was not disappointed. From the excellent thin warm crispy tortilla chips and salsa to the mixed enchilada plate (my personal litmus test of a Mexican eatery,) I was totally surprised. The food, service, drinks and atmosphere were all exactly what I hoped they would be - I was stunned. I'll go back on my next trip to Wichita.

• Visited July 2013
San Antonio
“Very good service, average food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We enjoyed Abuelos in Midland (TX) more. The service in Wichita was very good. The margaritas were also good, but the first thing we got was chips and queso and I don't remember the last time I had such a watery queso. They tried again and it was a bit thicker but still nothing to rave about. The guacamole was better than average. The tortilla soup had a decent flavor and I would order it again. The chile relleno was OK but spicier than they usually are. Perhaps they have a different pepper than other places. If you like chile relleno but not much spice, beware.

• Visited August 2013
Crystal Lake, Illinois
“Really good Mexican in Wichita, really does exist :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

When I think of Wichita,KS I think of steaks and burgers; definitely not Mexican. Abuelos is a small chain of about two dozen location in roughly fifteen states. The food is fresh, authentic, tasty and priced well for what you get.

I went there with four colleagues for lunch on a Tuesday. The place was busy but we were greeted by the hostess promptly and only waited a few minutes before being seated. The server was friendly and quick to bring chips, salsa and water. We ordered guacamole right away to go with the chips and salsa which was brought very quickly with the drinks. There was three different kinds of salsa which were all very good with different favors and levels of heat. The guacamole was fresh and lightly seasoned, we had refills of everything.

I got a little filled up on the chips and salsas, so I ordered the soup and salad (southwest style). While the portions were a little large they were not ridiculous, unfortunately I still couldn't finish it. The Tortilla soup was really good, tasted fresh made with lots of meat and vegetables. The Fajita salad was equally tasty and fresh. The dressing was very creamy with just a bit of kick and served on the side as requested.

Others in my group had the speciality burritos that were being offered for a limited time, as well as the usual tacos and quesadillas. At the end of our meal the server brought small survey cards to the people who ordered the specialty burritos and told them that they were thinking about making it a permanent addition to the menu. What a good basic idea! Just ask the people who ate them and decide if its menu worthy, kudos to Abuelos :)

We did not have any drinks at lunch, but some of my colleagues went back at the end of the day just to have their Margaritas. They gave them very good reviews and plan to go back there next time they're in town. Next time I'm joining them for those Margaritas as well as lunch!

Definitely recommend it, would love to try it for dinner

Visited July 2013