“Yummy Hummus, but no Baba Ganouj”

N & J Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #51 of 1,044 Restaurants in Wichita
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Local cuisine
Ohio
“Yummy Hummus, but no Baba Ganouj”
Reviewed October 11, 2012

Visited this restaurant twice within 5 days on the recommendations of TA and Roadfood. Sadly, for both visits, they were waiting for a shipment of eggplant so no Baba Ganouj (their spelling). We don't have much familiarity with this cuisine, but we loved the falafel, the hummus, and the platters. The appetizer sampler was a good way to try everything -- the stuffed grape leaves and the stuffed cabbage were below average in our estimation. The hummus was out of this world! On our second visit, we were less pleased with the sandwiches/wraps, so we will stick with the platters when we visit in the future. Chicken Kabab dinner was excellent, and the chicken was juicy, not dried out at all. Gyro Shawarma platter was tasty at dinner, but greasy as leftovers -- the shawarma sauce seems to be mayonnaise-based. The baklava is excellent although it's hard to distinguish between the walnut and pistachio flavors. They also have an almond flavor.

Be sure to check out the little grocery and bakery for items you can take home. An 8 oz. container of hummus is only $2.50 and the baklava is $1.50 apiece.

We will definitely come by here again if we pass through Wichita in the future. Good value, and fast service for both visits.

• Visited October 2012

Pinellas Park, Florida
“Best Anywhere”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I live in Florida, but when I visit family in Kansas ... N& J's is a must stop.

By far the best Fattoush salad and hummus made anywhere USA.

• Visited August 2012
“Fresh, delicious, and inviting”
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Okay, so from the outside view it's not so inviting...but don't let that keep you out! The food is amazing, the staff is friendly, and the atmosphere is cozy! Some evenings they have belly dancers for great entertainment! This place has been around for as long as I can remember and that's not by accident!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
“Love N&J's!”
Reviewed June 2, 2012

My wife and I have been to N & J's probably 30 times over the years. We love their food. I always get the gyro and the appetizer medley. My wife gets the garlic chicken sandwich. They have fantastic hummus. My only gripe is that I usually have to pick little foil shards out of my sandwich, because they cut it after they wrap it in alumina.

• Visited August 2011
Wichita, Kansas
“Great mediterranean food.”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

we love Mediterranean cuisine! their hummus is good, their gyros are good also, serivce is nice! you'll enjoy it.