“Authentic Malaysian food in Wichita!”
Review of Malaysia Cafe

Malaysia Cafe
Ranked #534 of 1,245 Restaurants in Wichita
Reviewed June 5, 2018

Used to be the only Malaysian restaurant in Wichita 20 years ago and still the only one in Wichita.
They do have very authentic Malaysian dishes and taste better than their Chinese dishes. Their dishes are reasonably priced and attract many people. Particularly their Nasi Lemak dish is my choice from their menu all time.

Here are tips:
Parking: It is located in a small mall and share the parking lot (free of charge)
Speedy service: It is like a fast food restaurant.
Some people complain about their restaurant is not being clean (tables and floor).

Date of visit: July 2017
1  Thank LifeAsJourney
Write a reviewReviews (15)

Reviewed October 3, 2017

This isn't a restaurant for American-Chinese food (sweet-and-sour pork, etc.); they serve authentic Chinese food here. When I go in, most of the customers I see are international students from WSU.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed April 11, 2017

When you walk into Malaysia Café, you kinda feel like you are in a traditional Malay style coffee shop in Johor Bahru.. I tried some of the traditional dishes I ate weekly while living in Singapore and Malaysia, such as Hiananese Chicken Rice, Char Kway Teow, and Roti with curry dipping sauce. The Hiananese Chicken rice was not even close to the traditional method that is used to steam the chicken. As well, the rice was just plain rice. If anyone knows the way it's prepared in Malaysia, this is NOT how it's done. I took a few bites of the chicken and it was rubbery and tasteless. The only good thing out of this dish was the chili sauce that was pretty spot on. I then tried the Char Kway Teow and have to say this was a bit closer to traditional, but lacking the amount of noodles and seafood. Beef (or meat) that was in it was a bit tough. However the flavor was pretty close. Ate about half of this and gave up. Followed up with Roti (pancake) and it was pretty good but I would expect it was frozen as I can make the same thing at home from frozen Roti that I get from the Indian store. The curry sauce used for dipping was green in color as opposed to the traditional redish color. I did however eat all of this...It was yummy even though it fell short of traditional.

I don't want to be too tough on them as I have not tried all the other traditional dishes as maybe they are better. However, from what I sampled, I would not want people to think that this is the way Malaysia food is.

Date of visit: April 2017
1  Thank rodthelmick
Reviewed March 23, 2016

Yep, I've been to Malaysia too and the food there is different, more authentic. Whatever. We are in Wichita and should be grateful we have choices. Get them to amp it up if you want, but support them and our food diversity.

Date of visit: March 2016
2  Thank NoIberostarFan
Reviewed March 9, 2016 via mobile

We love Asian food especially Malaysian food and have been to Malaysia where the food is phenomenal and cheap , but the food here is essentially no different than a Chinese restaurant. You get a decent amount of food for the money but it wasn't worth it as no one in our party enjoyed the food and we would never go back. A disappointment as we loved Malaysian food and we're hoping to find a good spot to get it in town, unfortunately this isn't it.

Date of visit: March 2016