“good food great people”

Ranked #401 of 1,052 Restaurants in Wichita
Cuisines: Chinese
“good food great people”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

have been going here since I was literally in a stroller.. get the lo mein with the "old style noodles" and an "old style " egg roll.. so good.. ray, the owner, has been nothing but genuine to my family and i

Wichita, Kansas
“Make sure you clearly state your order otherwise you'll get screamed at in front of everyone.”
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I chose to eat at Ming's for dinner tonight. I hadn't been there in over 15 years (since we had lived out of state for a while) & this was his first experience.
The owner's daughter waited on us and was very nice. I clearly stated what I wanted for dinner and when it came out 15 minutes later it wasn't what I ordered. She took the plate back to the kitchen where we could clearly hear some yelling from the owner, Ray. When the waitress came back to the table, she told me that he had already started cooking the other patrons meal and that I would have to wait until those plates are done (??), then he would start on mine (as my husband is half way through his dinner). Since it took 15 minutes just to get our food & since I don't particularly like to return food to the kitchen, I asked if I could just have my meal removed from the ticket all together--did I really want to risk eating food from a cook who was yelling so loud I could hear it at my booth anyway?
She came back out & said another cook was in now and preparing it. I thought "well, in that case, go ahead and bring it out."
When I get my food- you could see and smell that it was the same food but plates were changed and some other minor changes but it was the same food. I ate my rice and asked if they could take the entree back because I'm not going to eat it. I waited another 15-20 minutes as no one would come to the table at this point.
The main thing that makes the dining experience special is customer service- whether or not you agree with the situation/customer or not. I understand there are some people out there that will eat a meal and complain about something just to get it free. I didn't touch the entree & the food wasn't right. Had he made the situation right- I would come back and tell everyone I know to go and eat there but instead the worst happens.
I get my credit card out & walk to their counter when Ray starts asking me gruff manner "can I help you?! what's wrong with your food?!" Imagine the level of his voice in the restaurant if you can hear him clear as day in the kitchen. He is screaming at me and being very hateful, I don't even remember word-for-word what all he had said as I was blown away and quite frankly embarrassed that I'm being treated this way in front of all of the customers in the restaurant. The police men eating their meals were watching closely- that's how bad it was. I spoke calmly the whole time and said that I wasn't going to argue with him, I just want to pay for my food and leave, he kept yelling at me and proceeded to go back to the kitchen with arms flying to bring some plates of food out. "We don't do this here- SEE- it's different food!!" as he was showing me the food- yes, you don't Ray, you just scream at your customers and all over a $7 plate. I happily paid for my food plus a 20% tip to the waitress as she had nothing to do with his bad customer service. I'm just upset that as a customer, I get treated this way. I told his daughter that I would never be back. I highly suggest that you don't modify your meal in any way, shape or form- order exactly what they have on the menu otherwise you are asking for trouble.

• Visited January 2012
5 Thank Kim L
Wichita, Kansas
“The best ever”
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I used to go with my grandma and mom, then we took my kids when they were little. Now my kids take their kids. Five generations have been enjoying Mings forever.

• Visited November 2010
“Our favorite family restaurant.”
Reviewed October 15, 2011

We've enjoyed eating here for almost 30 years. We take large groups for birthdays and have always been treated well.

hadley rille
“So so chinese”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Should have been warned by the total lack of Asian patrons other than my wife. Pretty bad Chinese food. Much better asian options in wichita.

1 Thank jmjesq

Been to Ming's Chinese Restaurant? Share your experiences!